webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app

Old 05/25/2009, 05:16 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
So if you have "no intention of contacting (them) ever again," why are they still in your list of contacts?

Delete 'em!

Better yet, Palm sync to the My Contacts that doesn't include them!
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 05:16 PM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
If you sync to facebook you can't delete them.

Palm CHOSE to sync to "All contacts" which includes everyone you ever replied to instead of "My Contacts" Which is only people you have added.

How is that not Palm's fault?
STEP 1 - go into FB right now and delete the people you don't want.
STEP 2 - go into Gmail right now and delete the people you don't want.

done. problem solved. trivial.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: anotherjpeg
Old 05/25/2009, 05:16 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
So if you have "no intention of contacting (them) ever again," why are they still in your list of contacts?

Delete 'em!

Better yet, Palm sync to the My Contacts that doesn't include them! Better solution.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:18 PM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Better yet, Palm sync to the My Contacts that doesn't include them!
Or (and this would require some actual effort on the part of the user)... move them to a different group that won't be synced with your Pre.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:18 PM   #165 (permalink)
Xyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim

Delete 'em!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko
STEP 1 - go into FB right now and delete the people you don't want.
STEP 2 - go into Gmail right now and delete the people you don't want.

done. problem solved. trivial shiit.
I think they may be on to something here...
Xyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 05:19 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
do you want palm to wipe your @$$ too?????????

Not at all I want Palm to use the most logical and best sync system possible.

Syncing to contacts that I put into a group is a much better system than syncing to a group that automatically adds people I reply to in any form.

If you can't see that then you are a blind apologist that has no desire to improve the device / software.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:25 PM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:

Syncing to contacts that I put into a group is a much better system than syncing to a group that automatically adds people I reply to in any form.

If you can't see that then you are a blind apologist that has no desire to improve the device / software.
look, maybe the "my contacts" feature will be there at launch. maybe it will come after launch. we don't know yet. this is not a major deal and there's a pretty easy workaround. no need to get yourself all worked up over a fairly trivial, minor issue.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:31 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:

I see your point ... I have 200ish My Contacts and I am not a "business" person. I believe that somewhere a little below that amount and somewhere a little above that amount is the norm for a non-business Pre user. On my Blackberries and WM devices, I always typed to pull up the name.

You (and understandably so) are being anal. But in usability you dont have much of a leg to stand on.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:35 PM   #169 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

Gekko, while I understand your train of thought, you lose a ton of credibility with how hostile you are towards people who feel differently.

Plus, I am sure berd or some other moderator will be around to let you know you are breaking forum rules by trying to get around the profanity filter with symbols and incorrectly spelled curse words...

Just trying to look out for you but relax, you won't convince anyone with the aggressiveness.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 05:39 PM   #170 (permalink)

Ok last post.

Which is a better solution:

1. Sync to "My Contacts" where you only pull user approved / created contacts

2. Current system, Sync to "All Contacts" Where you pull all contacts including people you have only replied to a single time.

Keep in mind that these lists are constantly in flux so if you reply to AT&T Retentions concerning canceling your account today, tomorrow when you wake up they will be in your contact list.

#1 is a better solution. Make all the excuses and work around posts you want but #1 is a better solution and what should be implemented. It would also be a very simple thing to change since Google supports it.

That is my point. I want to improve the software, I am aware of the work a rounds and my point is they are not necessary if done correctly. The same holds true for Facebook implementation which in its current form is crude and not very useful.

So I choose to discuss ways to improve the software not just apologize for Palm lack of foresight.

Also Gekko,

Quote:
look, maybe the "my contacts" feature will be there at launch. maybe it will come after launch. we don't know yet. this is not a major deal and there's a pretty easy workaround. no need to get yourself all worked up over a fairly trivial, minor issue.
Pot meet kettle? Coming from someone that asked me if I want my phone to wipe my *** you should re read your last sentence.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:39 PM   #171 (permalink)

Like stated multiple times already, Gmail's "All Contacts" list includes everyone you have ever sent an email to. While, it's ridiculous to store all 1279 contacts (actual number) I have there in phone, it's very useful to have these ppl in my "real" email client. And I am not deleting them just because Palm cannot figure the trivial task of letting ppl choose who to import, and who not to import.

How do I know it's trivial? Because I programmed my own Gmail contacts importer in PHP (to pull people's friends and send them website invites) and it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to let ppl see all emails in their list, and then select a checkbox to process only selective contacts, instead of looping through a 1000 email addresses...
haydur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 05:47 PM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
Isn't that half the fun?
Nope. I'm way too busy with real work for my phone / PDA to be play toy. It's tool, and if it costs me more time than it saves me it's a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott View Post

Anyway, my point is that it looks like Palm is doing the same thing with WebOS, trying to change our idea of what a phone contact list is. Is it for the better? I think that has yet to be determined until the phone gets into the hands of actual users.
Not yet to be determined for me. I have enough real contacts to sort and search through without having Google / Palm add hundreds (or maybe thousands) of meaningless ones. And I don't really have the time to manually pare down the list in Google's All Contacts, and keep it pared down everytime Google decides it's smarter than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heberman View Post
About a month ago I went through my "all contacts" list in gmail and deleted most of my contacts. I went from about 1,500 "all contacts" to 268. I have 195 "my contacts". I also keep my Facebook "friends" to actual friends.

So for me, I'm fine with the Pre importing all of my Gmail and Facebook friends.
I'm happy for you. But I really have better things to do with my time than
undoing what I never asked Google / Palm to do in the first place. What's with all these companies that think they know better than I do what I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
One thing I do see is the universal search will help sort through all those contacts. You can type in a company, title, first name, last name or whatever to get to what you want. So that's not a bad start.
That's fine for some things, but if I want a restaurant listing, but can't remember the name, it would be a whole lot easier if I could just narrow the list to restaurants. Or retailers, or government agencies, etc. Contact categories is such a basic capability, it boggles the mind that Palm decided to throw it out. Adding it wouldn't have taken anything away form search. Leaving it out limits my options. Once again, Palm seems to be saying that they know what I want better than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
I don't see it as that big a deal. If you use the universal search by typing in the 1st few letters of the contact's name, it doesn't matter if you have the phone book in the phone.

Cheers
Unless, of course, you don't remember the person's name, but remember the were a car salesman, for example. Universal search is great, but it's not a replacement for categories. And there's no reason Palm couldn't have included both. The more I read, the more I think the Pre is taking a great many steps back, along with many steps forward. Assuming, of course, that all these reports are accurate. If they are, WebOS seems like it's a work in progress, and only about 75% complete.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:49 PM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
Gekko, while I understand your train of thought, you lose a ton of credibility with how hostile you are towards people who feel differently.

Plus, I am sure berd or some other moderator will be around to let you know you are breaking forum rules by trying to get around the profanity filter with symbols and incorrectly spelled curse words...

Just trying to look out for you but relax, you won't convince anyone with the aggressiveness.
hostile? *** is profanity? they say it on tv all of the time! i meant the wipe "figuratively" as in wanting/expecting palm to do everything for you.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:52 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
Nope. I'm way too busy with real work for my phone / PDA to be play toy. It's tool, and if it costs me more time than it saves me it's a no go.

Not yet to be determined for me. I have enough real contacts to sort and search through without having Google / Palm add hundreds (or maybe thousands) of meaningless ones. And I don't really have the time to manually pare down the list in Google's All Contacts, and keep it pared down everytime Google decides it's smarter than I am.

I'm happy for you. But I really have better things to do with my time than
undoing what I never asked Google / Palm to do in the first place. What's with all these companies that think they know better than I do what I need?

That's fine for some things, but if I want a restaurant listing, but can't remember the name, it would be a whole lot easier if I could just narrow the list to restaurants. Or retailers, or government agencies, etc. Contact categories is such a basic capability, it boggles the mind that Palm decided to throw it out. Adding it wouldn't have taken anything away form search. Leaving it out limits my options. Once again, Palm seems to be saying that they know what I want better than I do.

Unless, of course, you don't remember the person's name, but remember the were a car salesman, for example. Universal search is great, but it's not a replacement for categories. And there's no reason Palm couldn't have included both. The more I read, the more I think the Pre is taking a great many steps back, along with many steps forward. Assuming, of course, that all these reports are accurate. If they are, WebOS seems like it's a work in progress, and only about 75% complete.
1. is there no search for contact title or note?
2. did you ever get that EAS issue resolved? i have intermittent EAS sync fails.
3. i sure hope that EAS is better on the Pre than it is on the Centro.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:52 PM   #175 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

I mean, this is plain text, so maybe I am using a different voice than your implying but it certainly seems hostile enough.

If the ownership of this forum deems that word to be off limits than it is. They have the right to decide what can and cannot be said in the community, you agreed to those terms when you registered.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:16 PM   #176 (permalink)

For the Facebook integration, will it only add people to your contacts if they have a phone number listed? Or will it add ALL contacts?

To the person who suggested this, It's pretty unrealistic to expect someone to just go and delete friends on their page if we don't want them. There are tons of people I don't mind having on my web Facebook but do not have a need or desire to have them in my phone in any capacity.

EDIT: And just to clarify, this is just syncing, right? Let's say I move my Phonebook over from my Instinct. Will it automatically search for those people's FB accounts? If I were to set everything up individually with their info and Facebook account without using the sync function, will only THEIR stuff update automatically and all that? I won't mind doing it individually if that's the case.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 05/25/2009 at 06:22 PM.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:23 PM   #177 (permalink)

what about this. see on this, it has the 'link more profiles' option. maybe you can have sprint transfer your names over from your old phone, and then just go through the contacts in the list and match them 1 at a time to the google and facebook info. maybe that way you don't have to grab everybody if you just go them individually.
thoughts?

http://www.palmpre.org/wp-content/ga...ctsProfile.jpg
jmart603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:26 PM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
Are you not going to type the person's name still? Or do you want to scroll all the way down to get Zane Zanbriski's cell phone number? You are still going to type Z-A-N unless you have Zane in a speed dial.
No, I'm not. Because the keypad may to be closed; I don't want be forced to open the keypad just to find a contact before dialing.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:39 PM   #179 (permalink)
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
hostile? *** is profanity? they say it on tv all of the time! i meant the wipe "figuratively" as in wanting/expecting palm to do everything for you.
It is here. Please don't try to circumvent the profanity filters.
Old 05/25/2009, 06:50 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:

Delete 'em!
I think this discussion is a little over the top on what I consider a minor annoyance that may well not even be present in the actual released device. That said, the whole problem some folks are having here is that you CAN'T " delete 'em". At least not one time and be done.

The issue is that Google is constantly adding contacts to that "all contacts" list without any user intervention. If you clear it out, in a few days there'll just be more.

CompanionLink used to sync the All Contacts list, and it got pretty annoying. After enough people complained , they figured out the new API and just synced the My Contacts group.
dwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0