webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app

Old 05/25/2009, 03:34 PM   #141 (permalink)

One thing is clear, two weeks out from release and it is pretty obvious to me why things were kept so under wraps about the device.

Look, the whole synergy thing is an obvious mess. Sure you can deal with it or not sync but seriously it is a huge selling point to the device and something they are pushing, yet it really doesn't work properly yet.

Can it be fixed? Sure. When? We have no idea. It may already be fixed but I wouldn't count on it.

We also have seen some issues with "Polish" items like opening files from the browser and email, not having groupings available in contacts or Internet Bookmarks, the youtube app is pretty poor etc..

We also know that they have been keeping the SDK off limits and under wraps. Seeing the obvious issues with the emulator part I can see why. They don't want this stuff out and putting a file out there for people to distribute to make software would essentially put it on some torrent somewhere for anyone to download. It would be hacked and released and on everyone's PC.

There are two possibilities:

1. The phone is running some Super secret build of software that has most stuff fixed and they focused on the device and not the SDK

2. The phone is running essentially the same software as the emulator and what you see is what you are going to get.

I don't believe #1 as things have been too tightly controlled, we still have NDA's up, no reviews yet, Sprint employees are not even supposed to activate test phones etc etc..

Also it wouldn't make sense to have a SDK up to developers who are working with an old OS build. Lets face it the SDK should be just as easy to upgrade the build on as the phone.

So I am inclined to say what you see is what you are going to get on release day.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 04:04 PM   #142 (permalink)

Maybe something that's being overlooked here is that Synergy is -supposedly - intended to let you keep in touch with contacts across multiple platforms; Facebook, IM, Gmail, EMail. It's up to the user to choose which service to use to initiate/continue a dialogue. If I start chatting with someone via AIM or GTalk and then notice that they're no longer online on that service, I can seamlessly continue the dialogue via GMail, SMS or Facebook.

I think that some "tolerance" will be needed when it comes to Synergy. Palm is dealing with multiple protocols with Synergy and attempting to integrate them on one device. That's a very tall order and something that even the "PC" community hasn't perfected yet. Don't expect miracles...

Last edited by Grim; 05/25/2009 at 04:18 PM.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 04:04 PM   #143 (permalink)

One thing I do see is the universal search will help sort through all those contacts. You can type in a company, title, first name, last name or whatever to get to what you want. So that's not a bad start.

Also got this reply from someone at Sprint mentioning some of these issues:
Quote:
Take it from me your covered when it comes to Google and EAS. Gmail only syncs the MY CONTACTS heading and this does not included the random email addresses gmail saves. Also you do know that Google just released a Task applications, I have no doubt that memos is right around the corner. Palm hasn't forgotten about Plam OS users!! I'm sure more information is coming, be patient and I'm sure all your old info will make it to your Palm Pre. The Facebook issue is true, but I don't get the big deal. I only have people I want to communicate with on my Facebook. I don't have random people. Come on, unfriend people you don't talk to, simple.
Old 05/25/2009, 04:13 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
One thing I do see is the universal search will help sort through all those contacts. You can type in a company, title, first name, last name or whatever to get to what you want. So that's not a bad start.

Certainly conflicting info, hopefully Palm will step up and clarify.
Old 05/25/2009, 04:16 PM   #145 (permalink)

Lets assume you have 200 or more of My Contacts on Google and you were able filter just them into syncing with the Pre as opposed to All Contacts which number 400.

Are you not going to type the person's name still? Or do you want to scroll all the way down to get Zane Zanbriski's cell phone number? You are still going to type Z-A-N unless you have Zane in a speed dial.

I am thinking it wont be that bad, but rather a different paradigm that once you get use to it might even come in handy some time. i.e. You need to email a reply to a contact that is not in My Contacts. If you can remember the email address you are good to go.

Either way... I am going to have to experience it before I pass judgment on it.
Old 05/25/2009, 04:42 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
Lets assume you have 200 or more of My Contacts on Google and you were able filter just them into syncing with the Pre as opposed to All Contacts which number 400.

Are you not going to type the person's name still? Or do you want to scroll all the way down to get Zane Zanbriski's cell phone number? You are still going to type Z-A-N unless you have Zane in a speed dial.

I am thinking it wont be that bad, but rather a different paradigm that once you get use to it might even come in handy some time. i.e. You need to email a reply to a contact that is not in My Contacts. If you can remember the email address you are good to go.

Either way... I am going to have to experience it before I pass judgment on it.

I think what people are saying is they don't want to have useless data / contact information for people that have no business being there in the first place.

That and why is it that when Palm says "You have to do it this way" people here bow down and say "Yes" but when Apple acts like that and forces you do it their way instead of how YOU want to do it they are criticized?

Seriously, there is not a reason what so ever to abandon visual contact groups, book mark groups forcing people to open the slider to type in search for every little thing. None of those things are obsolete, nor need to be totally replaced.

I don't mind moving forward with synergy, I just see no reason to abandon every good thing from the previous methods which only add valuable options to the user experience.

Moving forward is fine, losing a decades worth of progress doing so is not. See Apple and the bone headed decisions they have made for references. We can add Palm to that list as well.
Thanked By: Zyphlin
Old 05/25/2009, 04:47 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
ClayJm from Palm Goon has confirmed for me that the Pre syncs with "All Contacts" and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

Talk about ultra fail for Palm synergy. They need to fix that and the Facebook sync pronto.

Follow Up On Contacts | Palm Goon
I don't see it as that big a deal. If you use the universal search by typing in the 1st few letters of the contact's name, it doesn't matter if you have the phone book in the phone.

Cheers
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 04:48 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
wow this really is the deal breaker folks. I knew this phone was too good to be true, and there would somehow be something that would ruin it for me. I'm still pretty sure I'll get it as I honestly can't see how Palm could let this happen, and hope they can fix it, but I'm starting to get doubtful.........
Just use universal search to find a contact. Not a big deal to have thousands of contacts.

Cheers
Old 05/25/2009, 04:50 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
Just use universal search to find a contact. Not a big deal to have thousands of contacts.

Cheers

Sure its a work around. We shouldn't have to do that just because Palm is too lazy to do syncing properly.
Old 05/25/2009, 04:51 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't see it as that big a deal. If you use the universal search by typing in the 1st few letters of the contact's name, it doesn't matter if you have the phone book in the phone.

Cheers
agreed. no big deal. either use universal search and/or CULL your FB and Google Contacts.

what i want to know is -

are the Contacts portable? in other words, if i have all my Contacts in my employer’s MS Exchange account and i’m syncing with that account via EAS and someday i leave my employer and that account gets deleted, am i able to take my accounts with me on my PRE? how do i do this? i assume there is always a local cached copy on the PRE but how do i copy an entire set of Contacts from one account (MS Exchange) to another (say Gmail)??? can you copy all contacts from all sources to ONE PORTABLE UNIVERSAL REPOSITORY ACCOUNT - ex. backup Palm Profile Account or Other???????????

i want some answers! i want the TRUTH!!!
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 04:53 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
I think what people are saying is they don't want to have useless data / contact information for people that have no business being there in the first place.

That and why is it that when Palm says "You have to do it this way" people here bow down and say "Yes" but when Apple acts like that and forces you do it their way instead of how YOU want to do it they are criticized?

Seriously, there is not a reason what so ever to abandon visual contact groups, book mark groups forcing people to open the slider to type in search for every little thing. None of those things are obsolete, nor need to be totally replaced.

I don't mind moving forward with synergy, I just see no reason to abandon every good thing from the previous methods which only add valuable options to the user experience.

Moving forward is fine, losing a decades worth of progress doing so is not. See Apple and the bone headed decisions they have made for references. We can add Palm to that list as well.
I think people are jumping to conclusions that are simply out of "jump" range!
Say I have a contact (doesn't matter which service that contact is from, could be Facebook, Gmail, EAS, SMS, or just someone I added on my Pre after meeting them at a conference...).
I have their email address and that same email address also happens to be the one they use on Facebook and GTalk (or however Palm chose to "match" contacts). With Synergy, I have one contact in my "Contacts" and that person has multiple ways to stay in touch. Will it work perfectly? Maybe not, but we'll have to wait and see whether it works well enough for the masses...
Old 05/25/2009, 04:56 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Say I have a contact (doesn't matter which service that contact is from, could be Facebook, Gmail, EAS, SMS, or just someone I added on my Pre after meeting them at a conference...).
I have their email address and that same email address also happens to be the one they use on Facebook and GTalk (or however Palm chose to "match" contacts). With Synergy, I have one contact in my "Contacts" and that person has multiple ways to stay in touch. Will it work perfectly? Maybe not, but we'll have to wait and see whether it works well enough for the masses...
but does a "Master" Repository exist somewhere? is it portable? pervasive? durable? or Device Cache Only? or yes but via Palm Profile Backup?

if it does i guess you'd have X -

1. FB Feed
2. GMail Feed
3. EAS Feed
4. Palm Backup Profile Copy
5. Device Cache Copy
6. "Master" Cloud Copy at your Choice???

i wonder if there is an option to "MERGE/SYNC" all?????????
Old 05/25/2009, 05:08 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I have no doubt that will work fine for the most part.

Why though do I have to include contacts from people I have replied to only a single time in Gmail? Do I really want to see the extra 400 or so contacts out of my 20 I want on the phone? Not everyone runs around with hundreds of contacts. In fact I'd wager most people do not have that many on their phones.

Sure I can prune those extra 380 out but why should I have to simply because Palm didn't do their job correctly. It is a valid complaint. Can it be worked around? Sure. However it should be changed, it should be a simple change and complaining about it will hopefully speed the process a long faster than bending over and taking it.

Face Book is also another big issue, something that will hopefully improve in the future but is a total abortion right now. Why on earth do you want to automatically import tons of people you have no interest in contacting? All Palm has to do is keep a separate list on the device that you select from all your available face book contacts and only sync the people on the list. Simple.

Why can't users group visually, people by company or by whatever tag they desire in contacts?

Its like releasing an email client and not being able to group people up into groups.

Or releasing a browser that can't group like bookmarks.

I shouldn't be forced to open the keyboard every single time I want to do something, nor should I be forced to sync contacts I have no desire to sync.

If I want to search through something for someone's number I'll go to whitepages.com. Forcing people to do stuff like that on their phone and for their own contacts is retarded.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:08 PM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure its a work around. We shouldn't have to do that just because Palm is too lazy to do syncing properly.
So you want Palm to know which contacts you want in your phone ahead of time?

It may not be perfect, but for those that think this is a deal breaker--they were either looking for an excuse or just haven't thought this through in terms of universal search, IMO.

Cheers
Old 05/25/2009, 05:08 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post

That is indeed good news. If you don't mind, what type of person was this within Sprint? CSR? Tech dude? Manager?
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 05:11 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
So you want Palm to know which contacts you want in your phone ahead of time?

It may not be perfect, but for those that think this is a deal breaker--they were either looking for an excuse or just haven't thought this through in terms of universal search, IMO.

Cheers

No I want them to sync to sources that are available on the service that don't include retarded amounts of people I have no intention of contacting ever again.

Either that or give me the option to not include them, you know maybe a list that we can select who to sync or not.

Really is that asking too much? Or is your head so far up Palm's *** you can't see that people don't want contacts on their device they have no intention of using?
Old 05/25/2009, 05:13 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
No I want them to sync to sources that are available on the service that don't include retarded amounts of people I have no intention of contacting ever again.

Either that or give me the option to not include them, you know maybe a list that we can select who to sync or not.

Really is that asking too much? Or is your head so far up Palm's *** you can't see that people don't want contacts on their device they have no intention of using?
you shouldnt have people in your contacts list if you don't want them in your contacts list. just friggin delete them or dont add them in the first place. it's not palm's fault.
Old 05/25/2009, 05:13 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
That is indeed good news. If you don't mind, what type of person was this within Sprint? CSR? Tech dude? Manager?
Just watch a video or read an article dealing w/universal search.

I understand why people may not want thousands of contacts, but it won't be hard to find what you need, IMO.

Cheers
Old 05/25/2009, 05:14 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
you shouldnt have people in your contacts list if you don't want them in your contacts list. just friggin delete them or dont add them it's not palm's fault.
If you sync to facebook you can't delete them. So don't sync, I know this and plan not to.

Palm CHOSE to sync to "All contacts" in Gmail which includes everyone you ever replied to instead of "My Contacts" Which is only people you have added.

How is that not Palm's fault?
Old 05/25/2009, 05:15 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:

So if you have "no intention of contacting (them) ever again," why are they still in your list of contacts?

Delete 'em!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0