webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app

Old 05/24/2009, 06:39 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Google Sync

Google Mobile - Sync

Works for BB, WM, S60, Nokia Standard, Sony Ericsson, iPhone
I couldn't get it to work with 800w and xp windows. The screen to insertm.google.com doesn't exist on my handheld.

Google Help › Mobile Help › Using Your Device › Windows Mobile Devices › Google Sync › Set Up Your Windows Mobile Phone
Google Sync: Set Up Your Windows Mobile Phone
Print
To set up Google Sync on your Windows Mobile device, please follow the steps below.

Getting Started
1. Open the Active Sync application on your device's home screen.
2. Click the link Set up your device to sync with it.
3. Enter m.google.com as the server address.
4. Ensure that the SSL option is checked.
frediev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 06:52 PM   #102 (permalink)

PALM PRE shows up on CompanionLink for Google sync options!!!

Trial Software Download

Free Evaluation Software

Your evaluation software is fully functional for 14 days from the date of install. After this period expires, you will need to buy the software to continue using it.

Email:
Product:

Which application will you
be synchronizing?

Palm Desktop

Which handheld device or web service
will you be synchronizing with?

Palm Pre
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: LuluBee
Old 05/24/2009, 06:59 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
For all this talk about how great Synergy and linked contacts are by Palm, I'm not convinced...I'm staying the hell away from it. Pulling pictures, numbers, im accounts and other info from Facebook was cool until Palm decided it was all hundreds of Facebook contacts or nothing.
I'm kind of concerned about the pictures. I keep my friends list to actual friends, so that's not an issue. However, I don't want hundreds of pictures filling up my drive.
fwinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:00 PM   #104 (permalink)

I started this whole topic a few months back and I'm glad people are finally really discussing it. There has to be another option than 'all or nothing' with syncing contacts...There just has to be. I do not want my 600 FB contacts on my phone. There's just no need for it.
Old 05/24/2009, 07:09 PM   #105 (permalink)

Is there no option to display Last Name, First Name? I see you can sort by last name or first name but not displayed. For example, my friend Bill Smith would appear under the S section as Bill Smith. Every other smart phone in the world would give me the option to show it as Smith, Bill. Or am I mistaken and just missed seeing it in the video?
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:26 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
Is there no option to display Last Name, First Name? I see you can sort by last name or first name but not displayed. For example, my friend Bill Smith would appear under the S section as Bill Smith. Every other smart phone in the world would give me the option to show it as Smith, Bill. Or am I mistaken and just missed seeing it in the video?
There has been very limited info on the contact manager. Whether you sort by name or business. Still don't know how its going to handle groups and categories. Even how to set alarms a preferences. Hopefully we should learn alot more about this in the next few weeks.
frediev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:38 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
In Contacts preferences, "List Order" By; Last Name, First Name, Company & First Name, Company & Last Name.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: frediev
Old 05/24/2009, 07:44 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
In Contacts preferences, "List Order" By; Last Name, First Name, Company & First Name, Company & Last Name.
List order is not the same as display order. If list order is set to first name, Bill Smith would appear under the "B" section as Bill Smith. If List order was set to last name, Bill Smith would appear under the "S" section as Bill Smith. I want it to appear as Smith, Bill under the "S" section like every other phone I have ever used. Maybe the option is there, but I did not see it.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:49 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
List order is not the same as display order. If list order is set to first name, Bill Smith would appear under the "B" section as Bill Smith. If List order was set to last name, Bill Smith would appear under the "S" section as Bill Smith. I want it to appear as Smith, Bill under the "S" section like every other phone I have ever used. Maybe the option is there, but I did not see it.
AFAIK I haven't seen such a setting in preferences.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:57 PM   #110 (permalink)

i'm now syncing Centro Contacts and Calendar to work Outlook EAS as we speak. ditching Palm Desktop and will sync with EAS for the next few weeks. when i get the PRE should be an easy setup to sync PRE with work Outlook via EAS and thus get all of my PIM data into the PRE. no need for me to fuss with Palm's kludge PIM data transfer tool, CompanionLink kludge, Goosync kludge, or CSV import kludge. nor do i have to fuss with FB or Gmail at this point. this Centro---->EAS Outlook---->PRE seems to be the cleanest way to do the PIM data migration if you have EAS available. smooth so far - knock on wood. and the bonus is i get work PUSH email included in the deal.

any questions let me know.

Last edited by Gekko; 05/24/2009 at 11:04 PM.
Thanked by hparsons, jbg7474
Old 05/25/2009, 03:13 AM   #111 (permalink)

Follow Up On Contacts | Palm Goon
lulubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 03:42 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBee View Post

Leaves more questions than it answers really. Facebook looks pretty pointless right now and how FUBAR it works, Google could be pointless if they sync to "All Contacts" and not "My Contacts".

I certainly hope they don't drop the ball on Synergy. They will get blasted in the reviews if they do and with no desktop sync that could be a huge error.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 03:57 AM   #113 (permalink)

ClayJm from Palm Goon has confirmed for me that the Pre syncs with "All Contacts" and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

Talk about ultra fail for Palm synergy. They need to fix that and the Facebook sync pronto.

Follow Up On Contacts | Palm Goon
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 05:55 AM   #114 (permalink)

wow this really is the deal breaker folks. I knew this phone was too good to be true, and there would somehow be something that would ruin it for me. I'm still pretty sure I'll get it as I honestly can't see how Palm could let this happen, and hope they can fix it, but I'm starting to get doubtful.........
WizardHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:04 AM   #115 (permalink)

Let's keep in mind this is a(n early?) SDK and not the final stuff on the phone we're looking at here-- let's hope Palm has addressed this glaring problem by the release software.

As I pointed out earlier, the Google Contacts API clearly allows for queries by group and therefore the ball is in Palm's court whether or not to make such a change available.

I don't know enough about facebook, but it'd be nice to have the same sort of functionality with it via it's API (sorting groups).
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:11 AM   #116 (permalink)

I agree it should be something they can fix, in terms of google. However, the more I think about, the more I feel like we all assume that palm is going to fix A LOT of things once the phone is released. Why can't they just get it right the first time around? We shouldn't have to assume that they'll fix it, or even if they will fix it at all.
WizardHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 06:58 AM   #117 (permalink)

my question for the Goon -

are the Contacts portable? in other words, if i have all my Contacts in my employer's MS Exchange account and i'm syncing with that account via EAS and someday i leave my employer and that account gets deleted, am i able to take my accounts with me on my PRE? how do i do this? i assume there is always a local cached copy on the PRE but how do i copy an entire set of Contacts from one account (MS Exchange) to another (say Gmail)???

THANKS!
Old 05/25/2009, 07:13 AM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
i'm now syncing Centro Contacts and Calendar to work Outlook EAS as we speak. ditching Palm Desktop and will sync with EAS for the next few weeks.
this Centro---->EAS Outlook---->PRE seems to be the cleanest way to do the PIM data migration if you have EAS available. smooth so far - knock on wood. and the bonus is i get work PUSH email included in the deal.

any questions let me know.
An historical date folks, Gekko is becoming the Cloud Guru!!
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 07:53 AM   #119 (permalink)

The more I read this thread the more convinced I am of just using EAS for all of my calendar and contact management and setting up GMAIL just for mail purposes.

I would have liked to have kept my personal stuff off of EAS but it sounds like it is going to be a PITA which is the opposite of what I expected.
pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2009, 08:18 AM   #120 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

On a quick side note, a cool feature is if you have universal search but were still looking for a web search (or google maps, twitter, etc) and not the 1000's of contacts from gmail/FB, you can still start typing and altho those options don't show up, if you tap on the "Find" with the magnifying glass at the top (first option), it'll expand into those search options for you.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0