webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app

Old 05/24/2009, 01:43 PM   #81 (permalink)

Does it add all of your Facebook friends, or only the ones that have mobile numbers in their profile? Seems stupid to add one of your facebook friends to your contacts if they don't have a number.
DUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:53 PM   #82 (permalink)

Wow, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread. Someone who really understands what's going on should educate us all. Would be nice to hear it from Palm.

I can only correct some of it:
1. Exchange and Outlook are as different as server and client. Both of them exist separately from the other. Outlook can connect with servers other than Exchange, and Exchange can be used by clients other than Outlook. The Pre will connect with an Exchange server, not with Outlook. This IS an important distinction. If you are using Outlook, any of your info that is not on an Exchange server will NOT be synced.
2. The Pre will have two-way syncing. But it will be Google to Google, Exchange to Exchange, and so forth. It will not cross polinate your different servers. This is a good thing. The exception is Facebook--you won't be able to modify FB contacts because FB doesn't work that way.
3. The Palm profile will only back up contacts that are stored only on the phone (ie not your Google, Exchange, FB contacts). This makes sense as there's no reason to have a piece of information backed up to multiple places.

Other corrections surely need to be made but I don't know enough to provide them.
jbg7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bryanharig
Old 05/24/2009, 02:01 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
2. The Pre will have two-way syncing. But it will be Google to Google, Exchange to Exchange, and so forth. It will not cross polinate your different servers. This is a good thing. The exception is Facebook--you won't be able to modify FB contacts because FB doesn't work that way.
Thank you for clearing that up. If that's the way it works then I'm VERY happy.
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 02:05 PM   #84 (permalink)

This discussion is a good example of why I won't be buying a Pre on day one. There are just too many unknowns about how the thing will (or won't) work. If it's true that it will sync all, and only all, contacts from Gmail, Facebook, and the like, this seems like such a stupid piece of design I may well hold off. And there are literally hundreds of other important things we don't know about the device. Yes, it's cool. Yes, it multi-tasks. But how well it actually works as a tool to manage my life is a complete unkown.
Old 05/24/2009, 02:09 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTO View Post
Does it add all of your Facebook friends, or only the ones that have mobile numbers in their profile? Seems stupid to add one of your facebook friends to your contacts if they don't have a number.
If they have an IM account and email in their FB profile then I don't see why storing that in your contacts is stupid. Maybe you want to email them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
This discussion is a good example of why I won't be buying a Pre on day one. There are just too many unknowns about how the thing will (or won't) work. If it's true that it will sync all, and only all, contacts from Gmail, Facebook, and the like, this seems like such a stupid piece of design I may well hold off. And there are literally hundreds of other important things we don't know about the device. Yes, it's cool. Yes, it multi-tasks. But how well it actually works as a tool to manage my life is a complete unkown.
We know tons more than we don't know, and reviews will probably come out before it's released so it's not like people buying at launch at buying something we know nothing about. There will be reviews, and we know how everything works, just a few questions about syncing contacts. Not enough to justify not buying on the 6th, really.
JONNNathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 03:10 PM   #86 (permalink)

my concern - does GMAIL/Google Contacts support all of Palm Desktop's/Outlook's fields? for example, i have a bunch of Contacts in Palm Desktop where i've entered "Website" in the contact info. i see no such field in GMAIL/Google Contacts. has anyone tested this? info? thanks!
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 03:16 PM   #87 (permalink)

Its my understanding you can sync your outlook contacts and calender through google with a windows base treo now. I just don't know how to do it. Not sure if the software is a free download or if you have to buy a third party.
frediev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 03:18 PM   #88 (permalink)
Xyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
This discussion is a good example of why I won't be buying a Pre on day one. There are just too many unknowns about how the thing will (or won't) work[...]
Isn't that half the fun?
Xyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 03:24 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
my concern - does GMAIL/Google Contacts support all of Palm Desktop's/Outlook's fields? for example, i have a bunch of Contacts in Palm Desktop where i've entered "Website" in the contact info. i see no such field in GMAIL/Google Contacts. has anyone tested this? info? thanks!
Best thing you can do that I see is under More Information... and add a Custom Field.

Old 05/24/2009, 03:29 PM   #90 (permalink)

thanks but what happens on initial Contacts sync from Centro/PD to Gmail Contacts? I did do a companionlink for Google partial test sync and Contacts seemed OK but I didn't look real close at all fields and forgot to look at "website" field. I've since deleted all Gmail contacts for fear of dupes after initial Pre sync. thoughts? (posted from Centro oustide in sunshine workout!)
Old 05/24/2009, 03:36 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks but what happens on initial Contacts sync from Centro/PD to Gmail Contacts? I did do a companionlink for Google partial test sync and Contacts seemed OK but I didn't look real close at all fields and forgot to look at "website" field. I've since deleted all Gmail contacts for fear of dupes after initial Pre sync. thoughts? (posted from Centro oustide in sunshine workout!)
What I did on my VZW 8330 using GSync: I backed up my phone contacts and then deleted them. Then I ran GSync and all my Google Contacts came over. This way insures no dupes. I had tried to run GSync before with contacts in both places... DUPES!!!

I realize that GSync and Synergy are two different animals.... but I can see your concern with your present situation.

When I came over to Sprint and the Diamond, I installed GSync and had all the contacts come over. Didnt matter since the new phone had zero contacts to begin with.

I dont know if there is a Palm version of GSync... is there?
Old 05/24/2009, 03:38 PM   #92 (permalink)

To think all of this could have been solved with a Desktop sync solution while they get synergy working properly.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 03:51 PM   #93 (permalink)

yeah I would have liked to ease into the cloud like an old man easing into a hot bath. instead, I feel like i'm being thrown right out into the middle of the ocean and expected to swim to shore - and like it.
Old 05/24/2009, 03:54 PM   #94 (permalink)

WTF is Gsync? same as GooSync, Companionlink for Google?

link?
Old 05/24/2009, 04:05 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's how I expect it to work.

On setup, your Pre will download any/all information in Google Contacts, etc. On your Pre, there will be fields not supported by the services you sync with. If you add information to those fields, it will not be synced to a service that doesn't support it, but instead to your Palm profile.
dwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 04:19 PM   #96 (permalink)

i think what i might do is about 1 week before PRE launch i'll set up EAS on my Centro to sync all of my PIM data to my work EAS server. (currently i local USB sync with PD only). then, at least i know it will be on my EAS work server in case Palm FUBARs me. then i'll try Palm's Centro/PD--->PRE PIM data transfer transfer tool. then somehow i'll try to also sync up with Gmail. hmmmmmmn - on second thought - but then i wonder if i'll end up with duplicates? triplicates???

what i don't understand is if i have all my PIM data on my work EAS sever is there a way to get it over to Gmail or other??? does this seem like a good migration plan? cloud boy?

Last edited by Gekko; 05/24/2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05/24/2009, 04:28 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
Here's how I expect it to work.

On setup, your Pre will download any/all information in Google Contacts, etc. On your Pre, there will be fields not supported by the services you sync with. If you add information to those fields, it will not be synced to a service that doesn't support it, but instead to your Palm profile.
I don't think so. In the video here, you can see that you can choose which linked account you want to default save your new contacts. Skip ahead to 40 seconds in.

But I do agree on one thing- although he doesn't go into it, I'm guessing that you can default save to your Palm Profile (for those that don't have Facebook, EAS, Google, or anything else they set up).
buyrihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 04:35 PM   #98 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

Didn't google license EAS from MS earlier this year? Is there EAS server info or was it simply licensed to borrow code for their own coding purposes?
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 04:43 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
WTF is Gsync? same as GooSync, Companionlink for Google?

link?
Google Sync

Google Mobile - Sync

Works for BB, WM, S60, Nokia Standard, Sony Ericsson, iPhone
Old 05/24/2009, 04:48 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
Google Sync

Google Mobile - Sync

Works for BB, WM, S60, Nokia Standard, Sony Ericsson, iPhone
yeah no PalmOS - yet. but maybe at launch? you'd think it would be there already to help assist in the migration.

and essentially the PRE will have this functionality already built in as a standard feature???

AND - can palm's (outsourced?) servers handle all of the traffic from backups etc. on day 1??????????

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0