webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05/24/2009, 10:01 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
i dont use facebook and i really don't want all of my PIM data scattered like that all over various databases. Google, FB, Outlook, etc. i hope there is one real permanent synced repository of it somewhere on my phone AND in a desktop format somewhere.
Pre's syncing is strictly one-way only. It won't add phone numbers to Google taken from FB. All such "synergy" is limited to your phone from where is backed up to your Palm profile every night.

Also, let's stop calling Exchange Server syncing "Outlook". They are two separate things. The Pre does not sync with Outlook, it only syncs with Exchange servers, which you probably don't have unless you have a corporate email address which runs on Exchange and your company is OK with you using an unencrypted device to download and store emails / contacts.

Manny: You seem to be getting the brunt of responses here, so I will keep this short. The way people use Facebook is a lot different than MySpace. Technically you only add people you know in real life or has an association with. That's unlike MySpace where ppl tend to send and accept friendship requests from anyone. Also, on FB you can granularly restrict who sees what on your profile.
haydur is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: BMIC50
Old 05/24/2009, 10:11 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
SirBC's Avatar
 
Posts: 54
Gmail only recently (~ 1 year ago) added the "My Contacts", and they did so because they received a lot of complaints from people who were tired of having every person they every emailed (think Ebay sellers) added to their contact list.

By forcing the Pre to only sync with the All Contact list, Palm has effectively taken us back in time 1 year, to a time before Gmail "fixed" the contact problem. Palm is going to get slammed in the initial reviews if this turns out to be true.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:11 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydur View Post
Pre's syncing is strictly one-way only. It won't add phone numbers to Google taken from FB. All such "synergy" is limited to your phone from where is backed up to your Palm profile every night.

Also, let's stop calling Exchange Server syncing "Outlook". They are two separate things. The Pre does not sync with Outlook, it only syncs with Exchange servers, which you probably don't have unless you have a corporate email address which runs on Exchange and your company is OK with you using an unencrypted device to download and store emails / contacts.

Manny: You seem to be getting the brunt of responses here, so I will keep this short. The way people use Facebook is a lot different than MySpace. Technically you only add people you know in real life or has an association with. That's unlike MySpace where ppl tend to send and accept friendship requests from anyone. Also, on FB you can granularly restrict who sees what on your profile.
1. well it is two way sync in the sense that if you add a contact on the pre in X account, it will sync back to X account and add that contact there. i am concerned about having a master repository somewhere and not have FUBAR contacts everywhere scattered along the internet.

2. sorry for calling EAS "Outlook" and not "EAS". it obviously annoys you so i'm tempted to continue doing it.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:21 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Posts: 957
Two-way syncing with google is a must for me. I wouldn't want to add a contact on the phone only to have to add it in gmail as well.
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:21 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,767
I really don't understand the point of synergy if it won't update my own account (if I want it to) with additional info from FB, Linkedin or wherever it can glean info. It's all well and great I have it all on my Pre, but if the contact info is important enough for me to have, I want it on my main account (as the Pre is calling it) be it google, outlook or whatever. If I want it on my main account, and I have to manually add it, then Synergy to me ("to me" are the keywords there) is pretty much useless. I should have an option to add info to my main account. That would then be Synergy. That would then help keep my main database as complete as possible so I wouldn't have to check my Pre or look up info on FB when I'm at my computer and need that info.

And in regards to Exchange and Outlook. You can't just sync to Exchange. It's not a standalone program. Somewhere on some computer it's getting your info from Outlook. At this point in the game, most seem to know you can't directly local sync with Outlook or at all with any PIM. There's no reason to get all pissy about semantics here.

And Google is so limited. It's fine for the basics, but it still has flaws. It's still in its infancy as a complete PIM. And it's one of the reasons why I think Palm is wrong to let local syncing go with its own program. If Palm wants to force people away from it's own program that works pretty well on its own and pretty much say Google is your only free option, then they should work with Google to give the same PIM functionality they've had with their previous products. As others have said, it's a step backwards.
__________________
Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:30 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
1. well it is two way sync in the sense that if you add a contact on the pre in X account, it will sync back to X account and add that contact there. i am concerned about having a master repository somewhere and not have FUBAR contacts everywhere scattered along the internet.
Perhaps I missed something that you saw over the last 5 months but the Pre will not add a contact to Facebook. Heck, FB doesn't even allow that kind of functionality via APIs (same with AIM or Gmail; unless the Pre does an ActiveSync / Exchange connection with Google contacts). Again, it's one repository on your phone for contacts. Yes, you will see where that email or phone number was pulled from, but that's how granular it will get. It will backup the entire thing to Palm, nowhere else.

gabbott See my response above, it applies to you as well.

crogs571 When Palm says "synergy in contacts", they mean combining information from a multiple sources in to a unified contact list for your phone. Nothing more.
haydur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:31 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
George Mari's Avatar
 
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
i dont use IM. if people want me they call me, text me, or send me an email. mostly text me. isn't IM antiquated given the ubiquitous nature and location independence of texting?
I remember reading a while back (sorry, no reference) that people with smartphones are gravitating back to IM and away from texting, because the data plan needed to communicate with IM is already mandatory on their smartphone, but texting is usually an additional charge.
George Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:41 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
I remember reading a while back (sorry, no reference) that people with smartphones are gravitating back to IM and away from texting, because the data plan needed to communicate with IM is already mandatory on their smartphone, but texting is usually an additional charge.
here's my difficulty with IM vs texting -

1. users have to be logged in to send/receive.
2. users have to be on same protocol.
3. users have to be in front of PC. (ok smartphones are changing this) but regular dumbphone works for texts.
4. none of my friends use it.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:43 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydur View Post
Perhaps I missed something that you saw over the last 5 months but the Pre will not add a contact to Facebook. Heck, FB doesn't even allow that kind of functionality via APIs (same with AIM or Gmail; unless the Pre does an ActiveSync / Exchange connection with Google contacts). Again, it's one repository on your phone for contacts. Yes, you will see where that email or phone number was pulled from, but that's how granular it will get. It will backup the entire thing to Palm, nowhere else.

gabbott See my response above, it applies to you as well.

crogs571 When Palm says "synergy in contacts", they mean combining information from a multiple sources in to a unified contact list for your phone. Nothing more.
i wasn't talking about that silly facebook. i was talking about Outlook EAS and Gmail.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:55 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydur View Post
Perhaps I missed something that you saw over the last 5 months but the Pre will not add a contact to Facebook. Heck, FB doesn't even allow that kind of functionality via APIs (same with AIM or Gmail; unless the Pre does an ActiveSync / Exchange connection with Google contacts). Again, it's one repository on your phone for contacts. Yes, you will see where that email or phone number was pulled from, but that's how granular it will get. It will backup the entire thing to Palm, nowhere else.

gabbott See my response above, it applies to you as well.

crogs571 When Palm says "synergy in contacts", they mean combining information from a multiple sources in to a unified contact list for your phone. Nothing more.
My blackberry with google sync does 2-way sync with my phone contacts and gmail contacts. The problem I have with it only pulling from the external sources to the palm profile in one way is that I cant add contacts on my phone that will get synched with my gmail. Unless my gmail can sync with my palm profile, this is only sounding like 1 way sync. Or am I misunderstanding?
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:58 AM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
here's my difficulty with IM vs texting -

1. users have to be logged in to send/receive.
2. users have to be on same protocol.
3. users have to be in front of PC. (ok smartphones are changing this) but regular dumbphone works for texts.
4. none of my friends use it.
I understand the argument for texting. But IM has it's pros too in that I dont have to be on my phone to use it (e.g. I'm at work at my desk and don't want to sit there on my phone to converse to someone over IM)
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 10:59 AM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
JaMart's Avatar
 
Posts: 92
I don't really see what the problem is on having a ton of contacts, with the easy search on contacts just start typing. and the one you want pops up in three keystrokes. personally I love the fact that it keeps track of all the email adresses I've sent to. who knows when your going to need it again
JaMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 11:28 AM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
As far as Facebook goes. MySpace was there first, so I signed up there just because a lot of my friends had it too. I never thought of MySpace as being something that you would potentially use in a professional way. So when Facebook came out, I never paid much attention to since I thought it was just a knock off of MySpace. I had no idea about all the added functionality.

So my apologies to all Facebook users....it's my fault for assuming it was just another MySpace and meant to find people in your area. Didn't mean to talk down on anyones decision to put their personal information in it.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 11:41 AM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
I don't really see what the problem is on having a ton of contacts, with the easy search on contacts just start typing. and the one you want pops up in three keystrokes. personally I love the fact that it keeps track of all the email adresses I've sent to. who knows when your going to need it again
i have 2,600+ contacts and you can sometimes get lost in all of your data as it can become unwieldy to manage.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 12:17 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 371
I still have yet to see any benefit of Synergy if one doesn't have Google or Facebook. I'm hoping Palm expands the influence as new services roll out down the line.
dcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 12:25 PM   #76 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot
 
Darth Pooh's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
I don't really see what the problem is on having a ton of contacts, with the easy search on contacts just start typing. and the one you want pops up in three keystrokes. personally I love the fact that it keeps track of all the email adresses I've sent to. who knows when your going to need it again
In theory, perhaps... but Google saves EVERY contact you've ever made... like asking ebay seller questions, craigslist, simple customer service emails... things you just never imagined to ever need in your list of contacts.

When you scroll up and down 1000+ email addresses (because thats how they will be imported, as a lone email address), it'll become irksome. And I don't think it'll be fixed prior to launch, but they need to really address using the MY contacts API or they'll hear about it.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 12:51 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 212
The more I think about it the more unlikely it is the API imports "all contacts" from google.

Goosync connects to google via API (not activesync) and only retrieves "my contacts", so it is clearly not a limitation of gmail's API.
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 12:57 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
abarrera's Avatar
 
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
I remember reading a while back (sorry, no reference) that people with smartphones are gravitating back to IM and away from texting, because the data plan needed to communicate with IM is already mandatory on their smartphone, but texting is usually an additional charge.
i've done the exact opposite...
abarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 12:58 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 212
Here is a reference page for Google Contact's API code: Reference Guide - Google Contacts Data API - Google Code

Yup, it definitely allows for retrieval by group, if I understand this correctly.

Quote:
In addition to the standard query parameters, the Contacts Data API supports the following parameters:

group Constrains the results to only the contacts belonging to the group specified. Value of this parameter specifies group ID (see also: gContact:groupMembershipInfo).
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:16 PM   #80 (permalink)
Member
 
frediev's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
I would like to know how the Pre handles categories. Will it be able to port categories and groups from outlook and be able to manage categories from the device itself.

I would also like to know if you can link your contacts to the calendar?
frediev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0