webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05/24/2009, 08:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 813
Synergy was always one of the least appealing features of the Pre to me. Hopefully PAAALM is paying attention here and adds some of the trivial features we are discussing that would make Synergy infinately more useful.

Does PAAALM have a suggestion or comment email address set up that we could flood with complaints?
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 08:38 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 212
Synergy is very appealing to me.

Importing every single person I've ever sent an email to isn't.
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 08:40 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Posts: 957
I'm hoping the facebook app on the pre lets you sign in and use it to get notifications but NOT use it to import all my friends as contacts. I'm not liking the all or nothing approach.

As for gmail, I sure hope they sync with My Contacts and not All Contacts. That could potentially be a deal breaker for me and make me want to wait until that is sorted out.

As a quote from google:
"My Contacts is a place to import, store and view all of the contact information that's important to you."

Just doesn't make sense to sync all contacts.
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 08:48 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Wayenberg's Avatar
 
Posts: 79
Another basic feature not appearing in all PIM screenshots previously posted:Categories.

Well, if they're gone (which could be, tell me if I'm wrong, I see no category in all those "cloud servers" whether for Tasks, calendar or contacts...) managing hundreds of items will be a pain...
Wayenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 08:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
wouldn't it be nice if PALM DESKTOP could talk to your Palm Profile Account? in other words, you backup/sync OTA to your Palm Profile Account daily or manually as desired, and then Palm Desktop has an update sync feature which goes out to Palm's servers and to your backup data for PIM Contacts, Calendar, etc. and syncs with it so all of your PRE data and Palm Desktop data is wirelessly sync? who wants that option???

well we do know that we have a bastardized version of this via "Companionlink for Google" which syncs the PRE to GoogleContacts to Palm Desktop.

i still have no friggin idea of what my PIM and email paradigm will be.

thoughts???
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 08:59 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
Synergy is very appealing to me.

Importing every single person I've ever sent an email to isn't.
a solution would be don't use the Web version of GMAIL. use Outlook or Outlook Express or equivalent with GMAIL. i ASSume that if you use Outlook with Gmail, it won't add contacts every time.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:04 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
a solution would be don't use the Web version of GMAIL. use Outlook or Outlook Express or equivalent with GMAIL. i ASSume that if you use Outlook with Gmail, it won't add contacts every time.
You are correct that if you use an email client with gmail, then it doesnt add emails to All Contacts for every email you send. Which is kind of a workaround though it takes away one feature of gmail which is the webmail aspect of it.
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:11 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
TomD's Avatar
 
Posts: 908
There's a lot more in the video than you guys are talking about in Contacts.

How about more IM clients. Menu shows:
AIM
Yahoo
Google
MSN
Jabber
ICQ

Also in Contacts:
Reminders ?
Notes ?
Birthdays
Spouse
Children
Nickname

Speed Dial uses all letters and numbers. That's a lot of speed dials!

Add contacts to launcher.

Pretty KUWEL
__________________
Tom
Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē

Last edited by TomD; 05/24/2009 at 09:22 AM.
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:19 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
a solution would be don't use the Web version of GMAIL. use Outlook or Outlook Express or equivalent with GMAIL. i ASSume that if you use Outlook with Gmail, it won't add contacts every time.
The more realistic solution for me is to cull my gmail contacts.

Gmail is far superior to outlook, in my opinion. I love my threaded conversations and extensive labels, not to mention all the nifty little lab features.

Heck, even with the Pre I'm halfway inclined to just go to gmail on my browser versus using the email client of the phone, as the web client is that good.
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:20 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
Calm down everyone...all this fuel is being added by one poster that hasn't really backed it up. There is no way it adds every facebook friend to your contact list. No one in Palm would think that is a good idea, because they probably have random friends just like anyone who uses facebook does. Same with gmail. I don't believe any of this stuff...
__________________
Phone: 700p > Pre
PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
sub150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:21 AM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
LOL.... yeah...those that use their main email address are probably the same ones that also put their phone number into facebook.

Not sure why on earth you'd ever want to do that!

You know anything about this contact importing by the phone store going from one type of phone to the other? He said it is no problem to move from dumb phone to smart phone, or WM phone to Palm or BB.
Sounds like you've somehow decided that the way you use Facebook is "right", and everyone else is wrong.

I put my real email address, and my real phone number in face book.

I restrict visibility of my email addres to friends.
I restrict visibility of my phone number to a list of friends.

I do it because they are very good ways for those limited groups of people to get the information I want them to get.
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:23 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
The more realistic solution for me is to cull my gmail contacts.

Gmail is far superior to outlook, in my opinion. I love my threaded conversations and extensive labels, not to mention all the nifty little lab features.

Heck, even with the Pre I'm halfway inclined to just go to gmail on my browser versus using the email client of the phone, as the web client is that good.
hmmmn. but won't you have to cull after every new contact email sent? doesnt Gmail have an option "Don't add contact after every new send"???

i guess ive been so used to using local Outlook Express for 10+ years it's hard for me to change. i hate having to log into Gmail every time and i have Firefox set to clear all private data every time i close browser - hence i have to re-enter name + PW and it's kind of a PIA.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:27 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
Like I mentioned before I don't use Facebook, so I don't know what preferences it gives you. Just from using Myspace though, I never noticed an option to even put your phone number into Myspace, so I was surprised that anyone would do that on Facebook. But it does make sense that there is a way to block other useres from seeing that information
...
Huh??? You don't use it, so you don't know how it's used, yet you were speaking condescendingly of those that use their real email address and phone numbers in their pofiles.

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
I never understood this facebook intergration stuff anyhow. Are you required to put your real phone number into facebook when you sign up? I doubt it! So other than having some email address for a particular friend, which is probably that persons designated spam email address (i.e. an email address from yahoo or hotmail that people use not as their primary email, but just for the soul purpose of signing up with online stuff), what good does this whole facebook integration really do?
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
LOL.... yeah...those that use their main email address are probably the same ones that also put their phone number into facebook.

Not sure why on earth you'd ever want to do that!
...
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:28 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
doesnt Gmail have an option "Don't add contact after every new send"???
Well that's why they created the "My contacts" list separate from the "all contacts" list.

Are we sure the API fetches the latter instead of the former? It seems like neither Palm nor Google would want it to work that way.

In fact, I used to use goosync (not to be confused with Google Sync) which utilized an API with google and grabbed only the "My contacts" list, so surely it is technically possible.
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:28 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
i dont use facebook and i really don't want all of my PIM data scattered like that all over various databases. Google, FB, Outlook, etc. i hope there is one real permanent synced repository of it somewhere on my phone AND in a desktop format somewhere.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:36 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
deltatko's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
Speaking off getting your contacts into your phone. A sprint rep told me that they can move any phone contact list from any phone to any other type of phone. You can't move pictures and stuff like that in that way, but I don't care, as long as I don't have to either manually input every one of my contacts, or having to install Outlook, synch them into my computer from my touch with active sync, just to be able to sync them back to the Pre, I'd be happy.
The Sprint store has been able to do this for all of the sprint phones since i joined sprint 8 years ago. But you can skip that step cause any 2 phones with Bluetooth can do this, you don't need the sprint guys to do it.
deltatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:40 AM   #57 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot
 
Darth Pooh's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
Calm down everyone...all this fuel is being added by one poster that hasn't really backed it up. There is no way it adds every facebook friend to your contact list. No one in Palm would think that is a good idea, because they probably have random friends just like anyone who uses facebook does. Same with gmail. I don't believe any of this stuff...
You should.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:41 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD View Post
There's a lot more in the video than you guys are talking about in Contacts.

How about more IM clients. Menu shows:
AIM
Yahoo
Google
MSN
Jabber
ICQ

Also in Contacts:
Reminders ?
Notes ?
Birthdays
Spouse
Children
Nickname

Speed Dial uses all letters and numbers. That's a lot of speed dials!

Add contacts to launcher.

Pretty KUWEL
I won't be holding my breath for all the other IM protocols, but I am curious about the Add'l fields in Contacts and how they're populated.
I have addresses (and BDays in many cases) in my 755p for contacts synced with Outlook but those addresses weren't imported to GMail way back when, when I first did the Outlook csv export/import procedure. Maybe that export/import process has changed to include the add'l fields now?
__________________
“Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:45 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
i dont use IM. if people want me they call me, text me, or send me an email. mostly text me. isn't IM antiquated given the ubiquitous nature and location independence of texting?
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 09:48 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Gekko's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
Well that's why they created the "My contacts" list separate from the "all contacts" list.

Are we sure the API fetches the latter instead of the former? It seems like neither Palm nor Google would want it to work that way.

In fact, I used to use goosync (not to be confused with Google Sync) which utilized an API with google and grabbed only the "My contacts" list, so surely it is technically possible.
i never dug into that feature. i was one of the first people to get a Gmail invite and address many years ago but i rarely use it. i'm glad i set it up though because i have my preferred email address saved and it looks like i might be pushed into Gmail/Google/PIM services with the PRE.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0