webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app

Old 05/24/2009, 01:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Actually Gmail should be fine. When you reply you have the address added to your "All Contacts" section not "My Contacts" which is actually separate. I believe the Pre only syncs the people in "My Contacts"
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
Actually Gmail should be fine. When you reply you have the address added to your "All Contacts" section not "My Contacts" which is actually separate. I believe the Pre only syncs the people in "My Contacts"
It syncs with All Contacts.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

I never understood this facebook intergration stuff anyhow. Are you required to put your real phone number into facebook when you sign up? I doubt it! So other than having some email address for a particular friend, which is probably that persons designated spam email address (i.e. an email address from yahoo or hotmail that people use not as their primary email, but just for the soul purpose of signing up with online stuff), what good does this whole facebook integration really do? Great, you get to see that persons most up to date facebook picture in your phone book...big whoop. I don't have facebook, I don't plan on ever using it either. I started with myspace, and still check it almost every day, so I'll just use the myspace app when its available and get my contacts in the old fashioned way.

Speaking off getting your contacts into your phone. A sprint rep told me that they can move any phone contact list from any phone to any other type of phone. You can't move pictures and stuff like that in that way, but I don't care, as long as I don't have to either manually input every one of my contacts, or having to install Outlook, synch them into my computer from my touch with active sync, just to be able to sync them back to the Pre, I'd be happy.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm... as far as I know Gmail's API access to contacts by default lists all contacts. Perhaps they Pre syncs with the new Google Contacts app and not contacts in Gmail.
haydur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydur View Post
Hmm... as far as I know Gmail's API access to contacts by default lists all contacts. Perhaps they Pre syncs with the new Google Contacts app and not contacts in Gmail.

Hmm I'm wondering why on my Iphone it seems to only be syncing with My contacts not the All
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
I never understood this facebook intergration stuff anyhow. Are you required to put your real phone number into facebook when you sign up? I doubt it! So other than having some email address for a particular friend, which is probably that persons designated spam email address (i.e. an email address from yahoo or hotmail that people use not as their primary email, but just for the soul purpose of signing up with online stuff), what good does this whole facebook integration really do? Great, you get to see that persons most up to date facebook picture in your phone book...big whoop. I don't have facebook, I don't plan on ever using it either. I started with myspace, and still check it almost every day, so I'll just use the myspace app when its available and get my contacts in the old fashioned way.
Automatically puts a picture for your contacts (vs finding pics on the computer, puting them on the Pre via USB, and then going into each contact, finding the picture in the phone and assigning it) as well as pulls their IM name and their phone number. It's not mandatory, but a lot of people put their phone numbers and im accounts on there. And you're giving people too much credit by saying everyone on Facebook uses a spam email or secondary email, many people use one for everything.
JONNNathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm I'm wondering why on my Iphone it seems to only be syncing with My contacts not the All
You can sync iPhone's contacts with Gmail?
haydur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 01:31 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
Automatically puts a picture for your contacts as well as pulls their IM name and their phone number. It's not mandatory, but a lot of people put their phone numbers and im accounts on there. And you're giving people too much credit by saying everyone on Facebook uses a spam email or secondary email, many people use one for everything.
LOL.... yeah...those that use their main email address are probably the same ones that also put their phone number into facebook.

Not sure why on earth you'd ever want to do that!

You know anything about this contact importing by the phone store going from one type of phone to the other? He said it is no problem to move from dumb phone to smart phone, or WM phone to Palm or BB.
Old 05/24/2009, 01:33 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Because it doesn't use the API? It uses ActiveSync which only interacts with "My Contacts"

Google Mobile | Sync for your iPhone
Quote:
Important! Google Sync uses the Microsoftİ Exchange ActiveSyncİ protocol. When setting up a new Exchange ActiveSync account on your iPhone, all existing Contacts and Calendar events will be removed from your phone. Please make sure to back up any important data before you set up Google Sync.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: aero
Old 05/24/2009, 01:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL.... yeah...those that use their main email address are probably the same ones that also put their phone number into facebook.

You know anything about this contact importing by the phone store going from one type of phone to the other? He said it is no problem to move from dumb phone to smart phone, or WM phone to Palm or BB.
I've heard this mentioned before and saw them doing it once at the Sprint store but don't have hands on with the procedure. They plug both phones in and are able to transfer all the contacts from one to the other. I'll probably go this route.
Old 05/24/2009, 01:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
Xyg

Here's what I'm talking about:

Telling the Pre to be selective in what groups it syncs with. Look at how facebook is updating the friends page.
Xyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: aero
Old 05/24/2009, 01:53 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

I have my numer on facebook. WTF no one sees it but yoru friends.

Quote:
Speaking off getting your contacts into your phone. A sprint rep told me that they can move any phone contact list from any phone to any other type of phone. You can't move pictures and stuff like that in that way, but I don't care, as long as I don't have to either manually input every one of my contacts, or having to install Outlook, synch them into my computer from my touch with active sync, just to be able to sync them back to the Pre, I'd be happy.
So you are not using any synergy, and don't want to use it, ore even outlook, and are think in terms of simply not "manually input contacts" in this discussion about synergy?

No offense, really, but the entire discussion is at a different level and about much more sophisticated stuff - the stuff that adds value to the pre above other devices, central of which would be synergistic contact handling and social network and business network portability.
I am almost curious to ask what you plan to use the Pre for that you can't get on a half dozen other phones?!?

You do understand that moving the contacts is something Sprint (and anyone with a PC) has long been able to do. it is not a unique Pre feature
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bryanharig
Old 05/24/2009, 01:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
Here's what I'm talking about:

Telling the Pre to be selective in what groups it syncs with. Look at how facebook is updating the friends page.
YouTube - Palm Pre: Contacts

The video of syncing with Facebook in action doesn't give you an option for groups, you select your account and it's off to syncing.

I'm kinda warming up to "it's not a big deal" since you can type to get to their name fast and the benefits of instant picture, email and im outweighs the long list con but not sure.

Hopefully it really does do a good job from preventing duplicates because I have some numbers in Google contacts that my friends on Facebook don't have uploaded. We'll see.
Old 05/24/2009, 01:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Xyg

True, but we don't know what build the SDK is. Maybe its something they're going to add or already have added. I guess we'll have to wait and see closer to launch.
Xyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 02:04 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero View Post
I have my numer on facebook. WTF no one sees it but yoru friends.

So you are not using any synergy, and don't want to use it, ore even outlook, and are think in terms of simply not "manually input contacts" in this discussion about synergy?

No offense, really, but the entire discussion is at a different level and about much more sophisticated stuff - the stuff that adds value to the pre above other devices, central of which would be synergistic contact handling and social network and business network portability.
I am almost curious to ask what you plan to use the Pre for that you can't get on a half dozen other phones?!?

You do understand that moving the contacts is something Sprint (and anyone with a PC) has long been able to do. it is not a unique Pre feature
Like I mentioned before I don't use Facebook, so I don't know what preferences it gives you. Just from using Myspace though, I never noticed an option to even put your phone number into Myspace, so I was surprised that anyone would do that on Facebook. But it does make sense that there is a way to block other useres from seeing that information.

What will I use it for? It's going to replace my Touch as my personal/ business phone. I will use the calendar for my business appointments, and I will store both personal and business contacts in it. A lot of my friends have different IM clients, so I will use that part of synergy, along with using it for email purposes. Why did I choose the Pre and why am I excited about it? Because everything on my Touch feels clumsy and duct taped together. I saw the CES video and it all just made sense to me. I especially like the way notifications come in....nothing bugs me more than when I am browsing the web on my touch and a text message comes in, and I have to minimize the browser (which takes a while on the Touch using Opera 9.5) just to read that text message. I don't want to go back to another Windows Mobile phone again because it will just be the same thing with a new coat of paint, and I don't like Blackberrys. I like the Pres feature set better than the iPhone, and I also like Sprint better than AT&T.

And yes I know that you can move contacts around. But, coming from the PC world, I know I can easily make a Outlook Express wab file into a csv file and import it into Outlook or other email programs, but then there's always those exceptions like AOL where some finageling is required to extract contacts to move them to Outlook etc. I was just under the impression that those machines at a Sprint store can only transfer contacts from dumb phone to dumb phone, and that smart phones need to be backed up to the PC and have to have the same file format. I know how to back up my contacts from my Touch into my computer, I was just under the assumption that the different smart phone types use different file types for their contacts and it would be difficult to move them amongst each other.

Sorry that my question was so mundane and was not at a level of complexity worthy of this thread.

Last edited by MannyZ28; 05/24/2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05/24/2009, 02:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

I am very disappointed in the Synergy I have seen with this device. The all or nothing approach just stinks...

I hope they move to the MY contacts for google rather than the ALL contacts.

Sigh...
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:20 AM   #37 (permalink)

I sync contacts with Google and Facebook currently on my Blackberry. Using Google mobile sync I only get "My Contacts" syncing over. On Facebook, I have the option on each contact to link them to a Blackberry contact individually or to use them to create a new Blackberry contact. I don't know what that implies for the Pre but that is how the Blackberry works for me today.
robertpetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

With the Pre, you cannot "link" contacts from a manual or google contact to a FB profile unless you've synced every friend with your FB profile.
We are still Pre launch... (ugh, no pun I Promise)... hopefully it changes.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:35 AM   #39 (permalink)

Wow I really really hope something changes and not ALL of our contacts are being sync'd. ON facebook I'm friends with lots of people I would never care about having in my phone, but it would still be nice to check up on them every once in a while. Also I'd imagine syncing 1000 friends constantly would definitely take a toll on battery life, then if I limited down to my closest 100 friends to sync constantly.

Same with gmail, there's no way I want 95% of those email addresses in my phone. I really hope something changes.
WizardHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2009, 07:43 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydur View Post
Actually Google's sync will be worst. Gmail basically adds anyone you send an email to to your contacts. I have like a 1000 ppl in there that I don't know.
Actually, if you pop into the Contacts page of gmail, you see separate lists for "My Contacts" and "All Contacts". The "All Contacts" list has everyone and their mother, so if it just imports the "My Contacts" list, you'd be okay.

edit: doh, I see this was already addressed up above.
hypocaffeinemia is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0