webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app
Palm Goon: Meet the Contacts app

Old 05/26/2009, 08:44 AM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
but they are MY contacts. i brought them to the organization. and my personal contacts and data is inextricably mixed in on the device.
Been waiting to get to the end of this LOOOOONG thread to see if your question was answered - Darth did. Once you connect to EAS, the contacts, emails, etc. are in Outlook or the Pre. In Outlook it is very easy to export to a CSV file and then upload to something else (like Google). So, get everything downloaded to Outlook and then export your contacts. I have done this in past jobs many times!
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2009, 08:49 AM   #202 (permalink)

OK, sorry, another Google question. I have read all 195 posts in this thread but not closely. Can I set up a Google account for just email and choose not to sync contacts at all (not a selective group - I don't want any Google contacts)? I use Outlook and EAS for all of my PIM but I have a few other email accounts I use for vaious different types of communications. If I can't just do email, then I guess I could easily just nuke the address book in Google.

Gekko - I do a CSV export of Outlook contacts then upload it to Google so that I always have an online backup version.
Old 05/26/2009, 08:49 AM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
Been waiting to get to the end of this LOOOOONG thread to see if your question was answered - Darth did. Once you connect to EAS, the contacts, emails, etc. are in Outlook or the Pre. In Outlook it is very easy to export to a CSV file and then upload to something else (like Google). So, get everything downloaded to Outlook and then export your contacts. I have done this in past jobs many times!
yeah but i really don't want to have to do constant manual desktop exports of my data. it's 2009. i'd prefer automatic, real time, and on the device level. is this really asking for too much?

what i'm hoping for is that the "Palm Profile" Backup feature does an automatic, regular, and complete backup of ALL of your PIM data regardless of where it is. from what i've been reading, that appears to be the case - which would be sweet. we shall see.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2009, 08:50 AM   #204 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
If that was the way Palm wanted it to work, why didn't they make it like that. Your solution is a logical compromise, but I have absolutely no faith Palm will give this to us in a timely manner (or at all).
I only have this faith because synergy is their bread n butter along with multitasking. This isn't the same as waiting for a trivial feature like visual voicemail to be included in an update. They will focus on this to get it right. If not, they won't last long and it won't take much to switch to something else.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2009, 08:53 AM   #205 (permalink)

Quote:
OK, sorry, another Google question. I have read all 195 posts in this thread but not closely. Can I set up a Google account for just email and choose not to sync contacts at all (not a selective group - I don't want any Google contacts)? I use Outlook and EAS for all of my PIM but I have a few other email accounts I use for vaious different types of communications. If I can't just do email, then I guess I could easily just nuke the address book in Google.

Gekko - I do a CSV export of Outlook contacts then upload it to Google so that I always have an online backup version.
i once tried a CSV upload of PD Contacts to Google and i ended up with scrambled Contacts. fields were all fouled up.
Old 05/26/2009, 08:55 AM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah but i really don't want to have to constant manual desktop exports of my data. it is 2009. i'd prefer automatic, real time, and on the device level. is this really asking for too much?

what i'm hoping for is that the "Palm Profile" Backup feature does an automatic, regular, and complete backup of ALL of your PIM data regardless of where it is. from what i've been reading, that appears to be the case - which would be sweet. we shall see
We'll see because since EAS is really sort of a cloud, why would Palm backup EAS as it already exists remotely anyway (the beauty of EAS)? I actually questioned this immediately - I do not really want my EAS backed up because it already resides in "the cloud".
Old 05/26/2009, 08:56 AM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
i once tried a CSV upload of PD Contacts to Google and i ended up with scrambled Contacts. fields were all fouled up.
My Outlook CSV has always work flawlessly.
Old 05/26/2009, 08:56 AM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
did you have to line up contact fields before import???
Old 05/26/2009, 08:59 AM   #209 (permalink)

BTW - for those of you who do use Outlook and Facebook and would like to sync pictures in FB to Outlook, this is a nice little program that will pull Facebook contact photos and put them in your Outlook contacts. But the names in your Outlook contacts have to match EXACTLY with the FB contact. And guess what, it gives you the option to include or exclude a FB contact!

OutSync - Home
Thanked By: Grim
Old 05/26/2009, 08:59 AM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
We'll see because since EAS is really sort of a cloud, why would Palm backup EAS as it already exists remotely anyway (the beauty of EAS)? I actually questioned this immediately - I do not really want my EAS backed up because it already resides in "the cloud".
because the server can blow up or go out of business or you can lose access.

anything can happen in this world and you must remain vigilant!

back up the backups! redundancy is the only way to insure against failure and data loss. when we can simplify and automate that process, the world is a better place.
Old 05/26/2009, 08:59 AM   #211 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

Quote:

There is an option to setup a POP account. I don't recall seeing any of the emulator videos showing them trying to add Gmail as a POP only account and not as a "synergy" contact. I do know that if you add gmail as an automatic account in the email, contacts or calendar, it'll import all of those things in everyone of them. But I am not sure if you were to do a POP manual setting... stay tuned, I'll try to find out.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bubbatex
Old 05/26/2009, 09:00 AM   #212 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

Quote:
Same here as well. I never had an issue with CSV import/export, I do it all the time for people at work.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2009, 09:01 AM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
did you have to line up contact fields before import???
Think I did make sure it all mapped correctly - you can click the "map fields button" before the end of the port to make sure all the fields match up right, but my Outlook has always been pretty clean from that standpoint b/c I have manually entered (or "Plaxo'ed") all of my contacts.
Old 05/26/2009, 09:02 AM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
There is an option to setup a POP account. I don't recall seeing any of the emulator videos showing them trying to add Gmail as a POP only account and not as a "synergy" contact. I do know that if you add gmail as an automatic account in the email, contacts or calendar, it'll import all of those things in everyone of them. But I am not sure if you were to do a POP manual setting... stay tuned, I'll try to find out.
Thanks - that is exactly what I want to do - add about 2-3 other POP accounts for email only.
Old 05/26/2009, 09:08 AM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
I only have this faith because synergy is their bread n butter along with multitasking. This isn't the same as waiting for a trivial feature like visual voicemail to be included in an update. They will focus on this to get it right. If not, they won't last long and it won't take much to switch to something else.
Trivial feature? Hmm, I dont think Visual Voicemail is trivial at all. I guess Palm agrees with you though.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2009, 09:28 AM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Trivial feature? Hmm, I dont think Visual Voicemail is trivial at all. I guess Palm agrees with you though.
I hate voicemail ...... period. It doesnt matter if its old fashion or visual.

I was seriously considering using GoogleVoice as my "voicemail" (it will sms a transcription of the caller's message) until I found out that Sprint charges $.20 per call forward, even in the case of "no answer" call forward.

I now have to see if I can convince people to use my Google Voice number to accomplish the same thing. However, my cell number is "so out there" I think it will be an arduous task in getting people to switch to the G Number.

Why do I hate voicemail? For every 50 voicemails I get, 49 of them are "Hey, its me call me." .... I know its you, I can see your caller ID.

If visual voicemail was free then I can see some value. But there is no way I would pay extra to here people say "Its me......."
Old 05/26/2009, 09:30 AM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah but i really don't want to have to do constant manual desktop exports of my data. it's 2009. i'd prefer automatic, real time, and on the device level. is this really asking for too much?

what i'm hoping for is that the "Palm Profile" Backup feature does an automatic, regular, and complete backup of ALL of your PIM data regardless of where it is. from what i've been reading, that appears to be the case - which would be sweet. we shall see.
Somewhere (perhaps the box pictures?) I read that the Palm Profile backs up only the contacts that are stored in your phone and not sync'd with anything else. Contacts sync'd with other sources (EAS, Google, FB, etc) will NOT be backed up by the Palm Profile (though the settings to retrieve those other contacts again will be backed up).
Old 05/26/2009, 09:36 AM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
Somewhere (perhaps the box pictures?) I read that the Palm Profile backs up only the contacts that are stored in your phone and not sync'd with anything else. Contacts sync'd with other sources (EAS, Google, FB, etc) will NOT be backed up by the Palm Profile (though the settings to retrieve those other contacts again will be backed up).
well if true that's silly. it should do a complete backup of the entire cache.

the feeds should all flow into the master cache on your phone and the master cache should be a rolling dynamic repository of your data. do you like that?
Old 05/26/2009, 09:42 AM   #219 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It was only an example. Palm is pushing synergy and multitasking. It's what defines this phone and OS for now. And so i imagine they would focus on getting that right in order of priority vs worrying about a feature like VV.

You have to remember as well that we don't know all the info. All we've seen are leaks basically. I don't want to assume anything, but hopefully Palm knows VV is popular or has an alternative in the works more appealing than the traditional method.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jbg7474
Old 05/26/2009, 09:52 AM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
well if true that's silly. it should do a complete backup of the entire cache.

the feeds should all flow into the master cache on your phone and the master cache should be a rolling dynamic repository of your data. do you like that?
I'm not sure if it's silly or not. I suppose Palm could have gone with backing up the entire cache, but it would have taken more bandwidth, would have taken more storage space, and would have added redundancy that would not be all that useful. Seriously, have you ever lost information because your company wasn't backing up the Exchange server? Do you think Google isn't backing anything up?

I DO like your rolling dynamic repository of data. It is cool. The purpose of the Palm Profile seems to be to make it as easy as possible to get it rolling again, not to be a copy of it.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0