webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Buy one app, use on multiple Pre's?
Buy one app, use on multiple Pre's?
  Closed Thread

Old 05/23/2009, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Curious about that. Though i'm thinking its tied to palm profile. Can you use same profile for two Pre's?
Thanked By: Gas Man
Old 05/23/2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it works (I bet it will work), it will probably violate the terms of the software license.
Old 05/23/2009, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I only say that because i can use the same iphone app with multiple devices. If i buy an app for myself..it'd be nice to put it on wife's phone as well.

With old palms, i just had to give the devices the same name. I don't think that applied to all apps. Some were picky.
Old 05/23/2009, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
I only say that because i can use the same iphone app with multiple devices. If i buy an app for myself..it'd be nice to put it on wife's phone as well.

With old palms, i just had to give the devices the same name. I don't think that applied to all apps. Some were picky.
While technically that does work, it's not always legal.
Old 05/23/2009, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

with an 'always connected' device, I'm sure some of the Apps will be tethered to IP addresses or some other inidividual identifier like ESN or HEX or whatever. I wonder if Palm's servers validates the apps to one unique device per license. They have the remote kill switch, so they could have that technology enabled. So even if you give 2 devices the same Palm registration, it can tell you're using different devices concurrently.
Old 05/23/2009, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

So do you buy one movie ticket when you and your wife decide to go to the movies?

Nice to see you've got no qualms about stealing from developers...
Old 05/23/2009, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
So do you buy one movie ticket when you and your wife decide to go to the movies?

Nice to see you've got no qualms about stealing from developers...
Do you buy two CD's if you and your wife are in the car listening to the same music? Do you rent two DVD's if you stay home and watch a movie?
Old 05/23/2009, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Plus what happens if your device fails and you need to swap it out. If they are tied to the device ESN, that means you have to rebuy all apps. (Note this is true with Wii and Xbox apps.)
Old 05/23/2009, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

As much a qualm as others do about tethering without paying for it..

I own the palms, I purchased an app. Bejewled for example. It goes on both if possible.

I don't exactly buy multiple copies of Office to install on the 2 computers i own. Do you?

Regardless, i think its legit question. If i own an iphone and ipod, you can sync both to the same account. You don't buy apps for each. And that's really where the question comes from..
Old 05/23/2009, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
As much a qualm as others do about tethering without paying for it..

I own the palms, I purchased an app. Bejewled for example. It goes on both if possible.

I don't exactly buy multiple copies of Office to install on the 2 computers i own. Do you?

Regardless, i think its legit question. If i own an iphone and ipod, you can sync both to the same account. You don't buy apps for each. And that's really where the question comes from..
Yes, I do buy two copies of Office to install on my computers. Why, because it's what is right.

The iPhone question is a moot point, that is ALLOWED under their their licensing agreement. We don't know what each developer will do for Palm, but they'll be allowed to set their own terms, unlike Apple's Draconian App Store.

My point was that you're stealing from developers, regardless of how you justify it. A thief who doesn't think he's a thief is still a criminal.
Old 05/23/2009, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
Do you buy two CD's if you and your wife are in the car listening to the same music? Do you rent two DVD's if you stay home and watch a movie?
You must have done quite poorly on the analogy section of the SAT's, because you obviously fail to grasp the concept of software licensing.

The proper analogy would have been, if I purchase a piece of software and install it on my computer, should I pay for it twice if my wife and I use the same computer?

The CD is designed to be played as many times and for as many people as you like, but as soon as you burn a copy to give to your wife and you keep the original, that's illegal. You bought ONE copy of the songs.

I love how people try to justify theft.... it's quite mind boggling.
Old 05/23/2009, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Xyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
with an 'always connected' device, I'm sure some of the Apps will be tethered to IP addresses or some other inidividual identifier like ESN or HEX or whatever. I wonder if Palm's servers validates the apps to one unique device per license. They have the remote kill switch, so they could have that technology enabled. So even if you give 2 devices the same Palm registration, it can tell you're using different devices concurrently.
It will probably be tied to the Palm Profile that the phone is registered with. Which means no, you probably can't buy and app once and use it on multiple Pre's.
Old 05/23/2009, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

no, im sure it's one license per purchase and a mechanism to protect that. as well it should be.
Old 05/23/2009, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tazmorator

A lot of Mobile apps are moving to Hardware related Validation.
Each device has it's own unique ID.

I could also see developers making their WebOS apps needing Web Validation to activate.
Old 05/23/2009, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
You must have done quite poorly on the analogy section of the SAT's, because you obviously fail to grasp the concept of software licensing.

The proper analogy would have been, if I purchase a piece of software and install it on my computer, should I pay for it twice if my wife and I use the same computer?

The CD is designed to be played as many times and for as many people as you like, but as soon as you burn a copy to give to your wife and you keep the original, that's illegal. You bought ONE copy of the songs.

I love how people try to justify theft.... it's quite mind boggling.
Maybe but I did great on Sharing in PRE-school.

There used to be a little something called fair use. In fact it IS NOT illegal to copy a CD and give it to your wife. Just like it isn't illegal to take your old vinyl albums and record them to a CD.

It is illegal to do the same to a DVD, not because of the content, but because you have to break encryption to be able to do it. Please reference the 1992 Audio Home Recording Act.

The only reason a CD is made to be played as many time and for whom ever you like is because it doesn't come with a draconian license agreement. How long before they lock that down too?

So like I said, if you guys support hardware lock, then if your pre fails you are out of any software you have purchased. (Just like a Wii) You guys are cool with that?

Last edited by Captweez; 05/23/2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05/23/2009, 09:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Also note, every single image of a PRE that appears on this website is an express violation of copyright laws unless the original photographer, along with the graphic designer that did the unique UI, and the industrial designer that designed the device gave their express permission for it to be used on this website.

It gets sticky doesn't it?
Old 05/23/2009, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Plus what happens if your device fails and you need to swap it out. If they are tied to the device ESN, that means you have to rebuy all apps. (Note this is true with Wii and Xbox apps.)
That is not true. For users who receive replacement phones and are concerned about previous software purchases all you have to do is contact the software company. They will most likely send you a new license. I've had to do this many times for my Kinoma app with all the 700p's I've been through. It was easy, painless and I got the e-mail with a new key within the hour of talking with them.
Thanked By: berdinkerdickle
Old 05/23/2009, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Try that with Microsoft or Nintendo. Who knows who is next.
Old 05/23/2009, 10:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Xyg

Quote:
Also note, every single image of a PRE that appears on this website is an express violation of copyright laws unless the original photographer, along with the graphic designer that did the unique UI, and the industrial designer that designed the device gave their express permission for it to be used on this website.

It gets sticky doesn't it?
Does IP belong to them, or the company they work for?
Old 05/23/2009, 10:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
Does IP belong to them, or the company they work for?
Company they work for, unless the contract states otherwise.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0