webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Facebook app and other info
Facebook app and other info

Old 05/14/2009, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Guys, in this post here, a commenter provided a link to a CES video which I have never seen (I don't know how that happened!). It shows the Facebook app and others, plus some information about the Sprint 3G network. Its a little blurry but it works. Have any of you seen this one?

YouTube - Palm Pre 1on1 hands on demo 2
dtokarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Great find!!
argentknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I saw this a few month ago. I like that the Facebook app looks very close to the site design. The learning curve for that app probably wont be too steep.

Se7enth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

I liked the part near the end when he was comparing the size and speed of the 3G networks.
dtokarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

This looks like more of the final product. If you notice the lag between loading and switching apps has improved greatly.
wahhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahhaj View Post
This looks like more of the final product. If you notice the lag between loading and switching apps has improved greatly.
improved greatly? We might have a bigger problem on our hands then. This video was shot from CES back in Jan 09.
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
Thanks. I saw this a few month ago. I like that the Facebook app looks very close to the site design. The learning curve for that app probably wont be too steep.
It's actually more like the iPhone/iPod Touch Safari version. The person taking the video even mentions "it looks like it's close to the webkit version." Sounds more like a link to a webpage than an actual app. It's okay but I still prefer the mobile site version which has kept more up-to-date with the regular full website. For examples, ability to comment on statuses and viewing a live feed.

Sprint customer since 2001
EeZeEpEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

looks good, thanks!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
It's actually more like the iPhone/iPod Touch Safari version. The person taking the video even mentions "it looks like it's close to the webkit version." Sounds more like a link to a webpage than an actual app. It's okay but I still prefer the mobile site version which has kept more up-to-date with the regular full website. For examples, ability to comment on statuses and viewing a live feed.
It looks like a webkit version because Pre apps ARE web applications. They simply run on the device, without the need for an internet connection. Basically a standard web app will require very little modification to make it work standalone on the Pre... it comes down to the fact that the Pre is essentially a small web server.
ScrapMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
looks good, thanks!
After watching it I retract my praise! It looks like someone smeared Vaseline on the lens. Awful.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
It looks like a webkit version because Pre apps ARE web applications. They simply run on the device, without the need for an internet connection. Basically a standard web app will require very little modification to make it work standalone on the Pre... it comes down to the fact that the Pre is essentially a small web server.
Right but I was hoping for more than that with Facebook. For example, the Blackberry Facebook app can tag photos uploaded.

Sprint customer since 2001
EeZeEpEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2009, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

I actually prefer the mobile site of facebook to the iphone/webkit version. For the webkit/iphone version, your homepage news feed, has no "comment" or "like" option for each update or you can't see other people's comments. While the actual mobile site has these things. Webkit version looks a little nicer, but stripped down of some options.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0