webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > One app per category; what do you want?
One app per category; what do you want?

Old 05/01/2009, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Alright, everyone knows that apps are likely vital to the development of the Pre’s future in the market place. Apps, in part, is what have made the iPhone raise to some dominance. Now, while we all pretty much seem to universally despise PAYING for something that makes fart sounds, novelty apps are a part of this; as are games, lifestyle, productivity, social, etc.

So here’s my question to all of you. Name what kind of app you’d like to see in each of the following categories. This could be a port or a copy of an app off of another phone, a copy of something from the PC, or something brand new from your head. These could be things that massively take advantage of potential Pre features or are just simple and easy to use.

Here are your categories:

Entertainment (Games, ebook readers, music)

Social (social networking, IM services, chat services, etc)

Casual (light saber, fart sound, beer, etc)

News (New organization feeds, sports feeds, etc)

Life Style (Wallet apps, weight loss apps, etc)

Utility (Music ID app, customization type apps, today screen like apps)

Productivity (Business apps, PIM type apps)

Other (Anything else that just doesn’t fit)

Would be interested to see what people would care to see.
Zyphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Entertainment (Games, ebook readers, music): Full Kindle reader. I could care less about gaming.

Social (social networking, IM services, chat services, etc): Can't pick one here. Needs to have strong usage across all these services.

Casual (light saber, fart sound, beer, etc): Don't care

News (New organization feeds, sports feeds, etc): Eh, if the web browser is good then a good twitter app will be sufficient for the stuff that I actually care to have updated often.

Life Style (Wallet apps, weight loss apps, etc): A good wallet app would be nice actually.

Utility (Music ID app, customization type apps, today screen like apps): Don't Care

Productivity (Business apps, PIM type apps): Again, can't pick one here. This needs to be a strong category.

Other (Anything else that just doesn’t fit): Epocrates and other medical apps. This is my primary reason for getting a smart phone in addition to having strong organizer functionality.
TPavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Entertainment: Hulu. 'Nuf said.

Social: Facebook, but with all the features of the browser version.

Casual: n/a

News: Weather.com with GPS-based notifications

Life Style: n/a

Utility: Butler or some other variety of highly customizable alarm, notifications, etc app.

Productivity: Documents to Go

Other: A musical tuner
Old 05/01/2009, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Here you go for me:

Entertainment

I’m going to say I want some kind of card game suite. The graphics shouldn’t be too intensive for the Pre, and with all the “Card” analogies on the Pre it would make sense to have “card games”. Solitare, Free Cell, Black jack, etc.

I think it’d be fun to have a texas hold’em game where you can “fold” by swiping up and swiping your cards back at the dealer.

Social

I’d have to say a good Twitter client, even though I have a great feeling there will already be one. I mean, this thing seems perfectly made for twitter. If this is already coming standard, I would like to have an IRC client.

Casual

“PREdiction”

Think of a magic 8 ball type app, where you can do some action and it’ll give you a stupid little “yes”, “no”, or “maybe” answer in various humorous ways. Could perhaps develop it in such a way that its not a standard 8-ball but somehow like you’re asking the Pre Itself? Maybe it slides a card into view that gives you the answer for a short time then swipes itself away after it?

I think this would be a fun “casual” program that plays off the Pre’s name and the whole “thinking ahead” thing.

News

I’d love some kind of app that would stream sports scores and info into my notification bar. Would be great in football season with fantasy football.

Life Style

This is one of my favorite categories. If I had to just pick one, I think I’d like to have some kind of calorie tracking program like the free one on the iPhone. Allows you to enter in what you ate, with information pre-done already for the nutritional guidelines for thousands of foods both in grocery stores and at resturants. It helped me while I had my iPod Touch to keep track of how much I was eating and lose some weight.

Utility

I’d love a “Wild Card” or “Joker” application, a single card that I can keep open that would list up to my next 3 appointments within 24 hours, any current tasks for the day, and the weather.

I think a neat app, that would be kind of casual but figure would be something somewhat unique to the Pre, would be a location aware “fact giver”. Have an application going that whenever you enter a new area…a city, a county, a particular district, etc…that it would pop up a “interesting fact” about that place in your notification bar. Not sure how plausible such a program could be, but I think it would be an interesting way to use the location awareness.
Zyphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: moush
Old 05/01/2009, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
Alright, everyone knows that apps are likely vital to the development of the Pre’s future in the market place. Apps, in part, is what have made the iPhone raise to some dominance.
Actually, I'd reverse it. The iPhone sold in huge numbers before there was a single app available. In fact, Apple resisted allowing 3rd party apps on the device. I'd say it was the iPhone's level of dominance that drove the availability of apps, not the other way around. No one would have bothered writing fart apps if the iPhone had only sold 100,000 copies.

Same for the Pre: device sales will determine how many, and the quality of, applications.
Thanked By: prereferee
Old 05/01/2009, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
Actually, I'd reverse it. The iPhone sold in huge numbers before there was a single app available. In fact, Apple resisted allowing 3rd party apps on the device. I'd say it was the iPhone's level of dominance that drove the availability of apps, not the other way around. No one would have bothered writing fart apps if the iPhone had only sold 100,000 copies.

Same for the Pre: device sales will determine how many, and the quality of, applications.
Does that mean if they sell out their reported 400,000 copies of their reported cheaply made phone in the first reported release date (if that report ever comes out) that we can anticipate a wide variety of fart apps?

I think somone should do something more original on the Pre. I'm going to work on a belch app.
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I said this in another thread, but I'd really like to be able to connect to an external hard drive that I can keep in my car to play music from.
asforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess if I'm going to crack wise, I ought to answer the OP as well:

Entertainment
Since I know it's going to have some sort of music player, the one game that I've always had on a Palm is a logic game called PictureLogic. It's been one of my biggest "time wasters" I've had.

Social
I like the combined IM chat program that came on the 755P. Something similar would be great.

Casual
I'd like a program similar to the compass app on the iPhone. Not a biggie, just a handy thing to have.

News
I've tried the twitter thing, and Facebook, and I guess I'm too old school. Give me a decen RSS feed program, and I'll be happy.

Life Style
A secure wallet type app that will let you define the different categories. I have an old Palm app (3nity) that did a good job of keeping CC info, software (off-Palm) licenses, passwords, etc.

Utility
The one program I've used, and kept from device to device more than any other, was a program called Soft Track. It automatically kept track of any new app that was added to the Palm, and then allowed me to enter information on where I got it, whether or not it was free, the license #, the price paid, purchase date, etc. One of the most useful applications I've had on my Palm

Productivity
I want something that will let me create my own "cloud", and upload my contact information from the Pre to it, and then download updated information on the PC based system.

Other
I like the previous suggestion that lets you grab pieces of information from other areas, and combine it. I think I'd like to see today and tomorrow's appointments, birthdays for the next week, missed calls, current time..
Old 05/01/2009, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Entertainment (Games, ebook readers, music)
Full Kindle support, just like the current iPhone app.
Pandora.

Social (social networking, IM services, chat services, etc)
As long as it has a good facebook and google talk client I am covered.

Casual (light saber, fart sound, beer, etc)
Dont care. Give it a good, relaxing iconic game like brickbreaker.

News (New organization feeds, sports feeds, etc)
A simple RSS reader that is fast and gets out of the way of the content.

Life Style (Wallet apps, weight loss apps, etc)
Dont care about this right now.

Shazam.

Productivity (Business apps, PIM type apps)
read and write Office document support. Built in PIM apps. Alarm clock.

Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

OK, not a big deal, I'm just feeling bored and confrontational, but I'd say someone can't count to "one" very well....
Old 05/01/2009, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
I'm with you on this one. I can't tell you how many people I know have an iPhone and have never downloaded any apps.

Good Luck
TurboTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Music:
Integration with Last.fm in the built-in music player.

Social
Standalone IM apps will suck on the pre. Every possible protocol needs to be supported in the combined messaging synergy app. Or Better yet, have an open api to allow others to add things into the combined messaging. But a separate app for other clients would break the synergy experience.
asforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Entertainment (Games, ebook readers, music) ereader is a must

Social (social networking, IM services, chat services, etc) facebook

Casual (light saber, fart sound, beer, etc) Daily proverb popup

News (New organization feeds, sports feeds, etc) MLB scores in the notification area!

Life Style (Wallet apps, weight loss apps, etc) would love a good genealogy application

Utility (Music ID app, customization type apps, today screen like apps) slacker radio

Productivity (Business apps, PIM type apps) handbase like application. Need a database
remmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2009, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Entertainment
Quote:
I’m going to say I want some kind of card game suite. The graphics shouldn’t be too intensive for the Pre, and with all the “Card” analogies on the Pre it would make sense to have “card games”. Solitare, Free Cell, Black jack, etc.

I think it’d be fun to have a texas hold’em game where you can “fold” by swiping up and swiping your cards back at the dealer.
Card games shouldn't be too hard to implement, and I love your idea about swiping.

Social
IRC, I hope I'm not dreaming too big.

Casual
Magic Eight Ball / dice / coin flipping could be useful.

News
Reddit

Life Style
I'm guessing wallet apps help manage money, and if this is the case it could prove quite useful.

Utility
Converter, if one's not already planned
moush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2009, 12:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Not even sure how feasible these are, but nonetheless:

Entertainment: A tie here between Hulu and Kindle.

Social: The native messaging service looks more than capable. If I had to choose, maybe Pidgin?

Casual: Location aware golf rangefinder.

News: I'd settle for a nice feed reader that integrates into the notification bar.

Life Style: Speed-trap app (eg., Trapster)

Utility: Coin flip app, only because it's useful.

Productivity: VNC would be sweet.

Other: Location aware weather map (with notifications)
disc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2009, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

OK, not a big deal, I'm just feeling bored and confrontational, but I'd say someone can't count to "one" very well....
1: I skipped some categories and used their one app elsewhere.

2: I'm a rebel.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2009, 10:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Entertainment (Games, ebook readers, music)Audible player (in case the default music player plays this then Stanza)

Social (social networking, IM services, chat services, etc)Some kind of Twitter client to keep track of news and podcasts alerts

Casual (light saber, fart sound, beer, etc)Koi Pond

News (New organization feeds, sports feeds, etc)Resco News

Life Style (Wallet apps, weight loss apps, etc)Splash Money

Utility (Music ID app, customization type apps, today screen like apps)TodayPLUS Style TodayScreen

Productivity (Business apps, PIM type apps)Documents to go of course!
Thats my list

Last edited by LupeValenz; 05/02/2009 at 12:10 PM.
LupeValenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2009, 12:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
1: I skipped some categories and used their one app elsewhere.

2: I'm a rebel.
Great comeback! I'm impressed!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0