webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > What about the Phone App ?
What about the Phone App ?

Old 04/25/2009, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

The Pre UI, WebOS and PDA features generally are all great, but ultimately, my greatest use of the Pre will be as a PHONE.

Therefore, I would like to know a bit more about the Phone App.

I have seen a lot of Pre videos, but apart from ignoring incoming calls, I don't think I have seen the Pre phone app in action in any of them. Please point me in the right direction if I have missed something.

The thing I love about my Treo 750 is how well it handles the phone function.

What I would like to know is how does the Pre handle the following:-

1. I am in card view and I want to make a call. Can I just start typing on the keyboard (either to contact search or dial numbers), or do I have to launch the phone app first (from the quick launch wave or by bringing up the launcher) ?

2. I have no cards open - just the wave at the bottom and the background wallpaper.

Firstly, is it just a wallpaper ?

Or is it like an Android Desktop or WinMo Today screen where you can place icons (eg speed dials, launch fav apps) or have other info displaying (eg upcoming calendar events, weather) ?? If it is just a wallpaper, will we need to be running a "Desktop/Today Screen" app running as a card all the time?

If it is just a wallpaper, what does pressing the centre button do in that circumstance ? If phone app has to be launched first, can centre button be configured to launch the phone app ?

3. When you are searching contacts (however that is done), does it show the contact and their various numbers (ie like my Treo 750) from which you can select which one to dial ?

Or is it more like the iphone, where it only shows the names and you have to select the contact, then from the next screen, see their numbers and pick which one to dial ?

4. On the Treo 750, I can hit the green call button and get a list of the recently dialled contacts and from their, I can easily dial one of their alternate numbers. I really love this feature as often I will try someone at their office and if they are not there, I want to try them on their mobile and it is great to be able to so easily bring up their alternate numbers without having to repeat the whole contact search process.

5. Can the keyboard keys be used as speed dials like the Treo 750 ?

6. How does the In Call behaviour work ?
Zelig87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2009, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think we all just have to wait and see.
Old 04/25/2009, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
1. I am in card view and I want to make a call. Can I just start typing on the keyboard (either to contact search or dial numbers), or do I have to launch the phone app first (from the quick launch wave or by bringing up the launcher) ?
Yes - Universal Search catalogs your contacts and lets you just start typing at anytime in card view and drill down to them.

Quote:
2. If it is just a wallpaper, what does pressing the centre button do in that circumstance ? If phone app has to be launched first, can centre button be configured to launch the phone app ?
As of right now, being in card view with no cards open makes the center button open the Launcher. Don't know if that'll be configurable.

Quote:
3. When you are searching contacts (however that is done), does it show the contact and their various numbers (ie like my Treo 750) from which you can select which one to dial ?
Yup - it'll show the contact and each of their numbers/addresses, and you can just tap one and immediately dial that number/open an e-mail/IM to that address.

Quote:
4. On the Treo 750, I can hit the green call button and get a list of the recently dialled contacts and from their, I can easily dial one of their alternate numbers. I really love this feature as often I will try someone at their office and if they are not there, I want to try them on their mobile and it is great to be able to so easily bring up their alternate numbers without having to repeat the whole contact search process.

6. How does the In Call behaviour work ?
Don't know about those yet.
Libb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by DigitalNight, zionixi
Old 04/25/2009, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libb View Post
Yes - Universal Search catalogs your contacts and lets you just start typing at anytime in card view and drill down to them.
Any ideas where I can see this in a video ?
Old 04/25/2009, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libb View Post

As of right now, being in card view with no cards open makes the center button open the Launcher. Don't know if that'll be configurable.

Yup - it'll show the contact and each of their numbers/addresses, and you can just tap one and immediately dial that number/open an e-mail/IM to that address.

Don't know about those yet.
+1 to tackling all of that
Old 04/25/2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Any ideas where I can see this in a video ?
YouTube - CES 09: Palm Pre demo of Universal Search and Web Browser
ultima301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2009, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

There's also this video of the calling features:
Sprint Palm Pre calling features demo @ CTIA09 | SlashGear.TV
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2009, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
This is not true. Center button does nothing with no cards open in card view
Modular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2009, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, but since there is no green call button, you can do this only in the phone app

Quote:
Nope, but universal search is better than memorizing speed dial numbers I think.
Modular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2009, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
Yes, but since there is no green call button, you can do this only in the phone app

Quote:
Nope, but universal search is better than memorizing speed dial numbers I think.
Speed dials is heaps easier - I only use about 7 or 8 for my most regular calls (home, wife, work, voicemail etc). Hold down one key and call is active.

I am not sure that universal search is the be all and end all. Even in the video examples above, if you type "BL" to find contacts starting with those letters, you are going to get apps and goodness knows what else (eg Bluetooth) that starts with those letters - could be a bit of pain in the neck when you know you are just looking for a contact.
Old 04/26/2009, 01:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I agree.

I consider memorizing shortcuts to be a huge convenience, not a burden. Pressing one key is easier than typing out names.

Also, I've never been a fan of universal search tools like Spotlight or Google Desktop. If I want to find an email, I'll look in my email client. I don't need to see files, photos webpages, etc. with similar keywords popping up in the results.
samkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2009, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

It looks like others have answered your questions, so I'll respond to some ot her stuff.
Quote:
The Pre UI, WebOS and PDA features generally are all great, but ultimately, my greatest use of the Pre will be as a PHONE.
Although it sounds odd to say this out-loud, I think I use my phone more for other stuff, than I do as an actual phone. (I'm killing Monopoly, btw.)

Quote:
Therefore, I would like to know a bit more about the Phone App.

I have seen a lot of Pre videos, but apart from ignoring incoming calls, I don't think I have seen the Pre phone app in action in any of them. Please point me in the right direction if I have missed something.
I'm surprised that you say you've seen a lot of videos, but that you don't know the answers to so many of those questions. They're all the things that have been highlighted the earliest and most often.

How do you call somebody from card view? Really?

Anyway, I'm also surprised that you think the 755p handles calls very well. I love mine, but I wouldn't say that about it. Its design makes things more complicated and confusing than they have to be - like not being able to hang up on a caller when there's someone on the other line.

Crazy stuff. But I sure don't want to give up my 755p. I'm so torn. *sobs*
Old 04/26/2009, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkim View Post
I agree.

I consider memorizing shortcuts to be a huge convenience, not a burden. Pressing one key is easier than typing out names.

Also, I've never been a fan of universal search tools like Spotlight or Google Desktop. If I want to find an email, I'll look in my email client. I don't need to see files, photos webpages, etc. with similar keywords popping up in the results.
It's a fair point, for sure.

I can't help thinking, though, that the time and steps used to make sure you're only searching category x or y is equal to or greater than the time and steps necessary to pick "Michael Blueth" instead of "Bluetooth."

But anyway, once you're already in the phone app, I'm guessing some or most of your preferences will be available options.
Old 04/26/2009, 08:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
There's also this video of the calling features:
Sprint Palm Pre calling features demo @ CTIA09 | SlashGear.TV
I love the way it looks when dialing on the on-screen keypad.
Old 04/26/2009, 08:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
I love the way it looks when dialing on the on-screen keypad.
I was really hoping to go the whole week without watching a video that I have already seen a hundred time. Failed! Thanks.
dtokarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2009, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
This is not true. Center button does nothing with no cards open in card view
Not as of the last month or so - in the CTIA demo videos, you can clearly see the demoer pressing Center button with no cards open and the Launcher springing up. Also, they mentioned this change in a reply to someone's comment on the Palm Blog, stating that it was indeed an intentional change in functionality and that they were looking forward to either launch or closer to launch when they could explain why they made the change in more detail.

Personally, I think I know why they made the change - the iPhone's "Home Button" paradigm is a bit too hard to break people of, so they felt they had to offer similar functionality, at least when no other apps were open. Also, it feels sorta dumb to have a button there that has absolutely no use when no cards are open, when you could configure it to pop open the Launcher and give it a purpose.
Libb is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0