Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    from the front page

WebOS to Support Palm OS Emulation! http://www.precentral.net/

this could be awesome news.
    I can't wait for the Video of the App walk through. And yeah, I supposed the Palm OS Emulation is great news, but since I have never owned a Palm device before, I am obviously not overly excited yet...lol
    sad that I have to say this, but this is not an April Fools day prank. That's a real photo of the icon I saw on the device.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Same response as Manny. Not too excited. How Palm gives me Windows Mobile app emulation and I pay $600 for the phone with a non-SERO contract?

Question for Dieter: You said they refused to talk about it. How can you be sure then or is this just speculation based on the way the icon looked?
    Eh, personally I couldn't care less, but I know that this is a must-have for some people so I'm glad it'll be included. (And I actually own a ton of Palm apps as well, I just don't really see a need for most of them on the new device).
    Hopefully this is an April fools joke.

Sometimes backward compatibility is just silly. If the application was that killer to start with, wouldn't they just port it to Web OS?

This probably upsets the same group that still can't play 8-track tapes...

This better not be the "big" Pre announcement for the day, or Sprint will look stupid. How about a price or specific release date?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As I mentioned on another thread - it would be a very odd thing to launch at a web 2.0 conference...
    I hope they create some way of launching a PalmOS app directly from the webOS launcher. Having to launch the emulator then launch the program will greatly reduce the emulator's appeal (at least for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by KenYoung View Post
    I hope they create some way of launching a PalmOS app directly from the webOS launcher. Having to launch the emulator then launch the program will greatly reduce the emulator's appeal (at least for me).
    I concur and hope it won't be difficult to do. Styletap does this already.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Once Classic is loaded I would hope it's like Running Parallels.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I really hope that Win-Hand Anywhere will be compatible with then Palm emulator. Unless webos has a similar solution, I would really miss being able to control,view and exchange files with my home PC
    I just listened to the 1src podcast and Alan Grassia says v1 will be emulating Garnet 5.2.8 which is the same OS version which powers older Palms like the T3, and not Treos or Centros which run on 5.4.x
    This might mean some compatibility issues with "newer" Palm apps.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I just listened to the 1src podcast and Alan Grassia says v1 will be emulating Garnet 5.2.8 which is the same OS version which powers older Palms like the T3, and not Treos or Centros which run on 5.4.x
    This might mean some compatibility issues with "newer" Palm apps.
    Like pocket tunes and garmin's mobile xt? I've some major investment in more recent Palm OS apps. Enough to avoid the new webOS if they won't run.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Classic for webOS - MotionApps

Hit that link and sign up as a customer or developer and let them know what apps you want to see working. I am really happy that there is going to be emulation because it will allow an easier transition, even if it is a crutch. I am worried about the performance running applications that read large database files like MyBible. I know that one will bring StyleTap to its knees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Like pocket tunes and garmin's mobile xt? I've some major investment in more recent Palm OS apps. Enough to avoid the new webOS if they won't run.
    I have mobileXT, but can not see why I would use it if the Pre has built-in GPS ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I have mobileXT, but can not see why I would use it if the Pre has built-in GPS ?
    With a monthly charge from Sprint?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I don't think so. I beleive that the "Everything" plans include navigation.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I don't think so. I beleive that the "Everything" plans include navigation.
    Not sure if I'll opt for the everything plan. I've been with Sprint forever, and have maintained/extended the same contract (and pricing) for the last decade. I'm pretty sure the "Everything" will cost me a significant increase, but thanks.... I'll research and be sure.
    Good point
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway