webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Electronic Medical Records on Palm WebOS
Electronic Medical Records on Palm WebOS

Old 04/05/2009, 05:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Looks like the iPhone already beat the Pre to it...

Allscripts Introduces Electronic Health Record Capability for iPhone(TM) - Yahoo! Finance

Come on Palm... expedite releasing this phone!!!!!
bulls96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2009, 12:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
Just out of curiosity, what apps do people typically use on their WM or POS devices? Know a couple of folks studying Medicine, and I'm wondering if there's anything that would be useful to them.
I and several of my anesthesiology partners use Epocrates, primarily for its drug database, but occasionally for the calclulators: BMI and drip rate (dopamine, neo, et al.)

Last edited by Don'tPanic; 04/06/2009 at 12:58 PM.
Don'tPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2009, 12:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
What about Charge capture. I have been using Palm Treos now for about 3 yrs for billing during rounds and procedures. When I get to the office I print out the billing sheets via BT and give it to my manager. All E&M and ICD/cpt codes all done.
I know there are cumbersome Winmob applications for this out there already and have tried all of them.
Would love to be able to bill and eRx with the WebOS.
Was PatientKeeper one of those cumbersome apps? I've been pushing charge capture for my anesthesiology group for a couple years now but see resolute pushback from our CEO (a non-medical business type) who cites his observation that no other large anesthesiology group in the country is doing charge capture. <grrr> PatientKeeper seems to be the only option for us anesthesiologists in that it has a module for our particular RV guide.
Old 04/06/2009, 01:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
I have to agree, Red Tape will be the big roadblock. I am not even sure HiPaa is the biggest roadblock. Hospitals tend to be very set in their ways. I work for a company that I bet supplies some of the applications you coordinate. Right now I can name several of our applications that would require very little tweaking to be usable on WebOS. Using a WebOS based device to access patient information is really no different than what I can do with a secured laptop. It would either need to be completely server based and rely on a VPN connection or if the hospital needs records to be local to the device, it would need some sort of hardware based security (like biometrics or something) I am not too clear of security possibilities of the Pre, but my gut says that it is not the most secure device.
I wish our hospitals used those systems (whatever they are).

Meditech is the package of choice for the five hospitals my practice works in. Reportedly it's the only system that integrates charting, labs, path, etc. into a single package. The drawback is that it feels like a DOS based system. You actually have to hit the F12 key rather than the Enter key in some views. It's also entirely possible to be browsing through a record and have *five* different Windows applications open just to read the various entries/dictations/etc.
Craptacular.
Old 04/07/2009, 08:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
I wish our hospitals used those systems (whatever they are).

Meditech is the package of choice for the five hospitals my practice works in. Reportedly it's the only system that integrates charting, labs, path, etc. into a single package. The drawback is that it feels like a DOS based system. You actually have to hit the F12 key rather than the Enter key in some views. It's also entirely possible to be browsing through a record and have *five* different Windows applications open just to read the various entries/dictations/etc.
Craptacular.
I support an Anesthesia Management Package.
It comes in 2 components: A web based PAT component for collecting patient information and a windows based OR client which records information. The OR based piece could be ported to full Web with a little effort. The company I work for also has a web based surgical management system. 2 Partiality web-based patient scheduling systems, as well as some web based clinicals, periop charting and labs systems.
SolarPlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2009, 10:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
Looks like the iPhone already beat the Pre to it...

Allscripts Introduces Electronic Health Record Capability for iPhone(TM) - Yahoo! Finance

Come on Palm... expedite releasing this phone!!!!!
Funny, I don't see this ripping through the medical profession like wild fire!
(I think palm has time.)

Cool app though... going to be interesting to see where all this lands in maybe five years...

Don't know if anyone heard of the VA systems... but that is about to boom as well... too tired to go into it, but google it and find all types of info on their budget and emr...

Last edited by theog; 04/11/2009 at 11:06 PM.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2009, 06:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Announcing that you have created an EMR is so easy and is probably good for your stock in these stimulus-conscious days. Executing is so much more difficult. Unfortunately, with EMRs, we are still in the days of creating features first and user experience is always a work in progress.
StatCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2009, 11:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

My hospital is upgrading it's IT system and we were reviewing various HIS options. Some seemed pretty nifty at PDA support and it was browser based. I wonder if this is the future rather than specific client apps?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0