webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Question about AIM
Question about AIM

Old 02/26/2009, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have the AIM program for the palm os installed on my treo, and only use it rarely. I like the fact that palm has conintued it's trend of combining messages, now inbetween services as well. My concern is that i don not want to be constantly getting IM's on my phone. Do you think there will be a way for my AIM screen name appear as offline, like I can do on my computer.

I don't want people to see that I'm online when I'm just on my phone. I would be very disapointed if I was stuck with constant interuptions with stupid IMs becuase people will assume that I'm on my computer.
sraatc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2009, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure you'll have complete control over being logged on or off for IM's or remain invisible. I can't imagine why that would change.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2009, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well in several of the demos the contacts were shown as offline. Seeing as it shows the availiability of your buddies, I would assume you could log in and out, as well as appear off line.
Pflaumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2009, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

AIM already provides this feature with the 'Mobile Buddies' Feature. From the preferences you can set that only certain people from that group can mobile IM you. There are a few scenarios you can set up
robkurzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2009, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

is it one of sprints crappy IM apps where it uses text messages, or actual data? is it really instant i mean, and not like the other treos with the OZ Instant Messenger.
nitty917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2009, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tazmorator

<<merged>>

We here at PreCentral really need to have members post their topics in related threads.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old 05/28/2009, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitty917 View Post
is it one of sprints crappy IM apps where it uses text messages, or actual data? is it really instant i mean, and not like the other treos with the OZ Instant Messenger.
I have a Sprint Q9c and the messaging app uses data. The old Q didn't even have a messaging app AFAIK. I'm sure the Pre will have a decent aim client.
Truckondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2009, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckondo View Post
I have a Sprint Q9c and the messaging app uses data. The old Q didn't even have a messaging app AFAIK. I'm sure the Pre will have a decent aim client.
Hopefully one that isn't stupid to use or a battery killer.

Any Pre is going to have UL data so it won't be a problem as well
Old 05/28/2009, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I could've sworn I saw something in the manual that stated that the IM clients on the Pre use data. I couldn't find it after a quick glance just now though.

However, it does say that you can set your IM status through the Pre. (And my second look at it also showed me something I had missed before, that you can see people in an IM "Buddies" view which shows the screennames instead of grouping it with contacts- very useful for people who aren't in my phonebook who I occasionally talk to on IM.)
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2009, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I could've sworn I saw something in the manual that stated that the IM clients on the Pre use data. I couldn't find it after a quick glance just now though.

However, it does say that you can set your IM status through the Pre. (And my second look at it also showed me something I had missed before, that you can see people in an IM "Buddies" view which shows the screennames instead of grouping it with contacts- very useful for people who aren't in my phonebook who I occasionally talk to on IM.)
What would be nice is if AIM and Synergy worked together. I have all of my contacts set up with 'Nicknames' and my buddy list shows nicknames. I don't know any of my friends actual screen names.

I'm hoping it at least recognizes the nicknames
Old 05/28/2009, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
What would be nice is if AIM and Synergy worked together. I have all of my contacts set up with 'Nicknames' and my buddy list shows nicknames. I don't know any of my friends actual screen names.

I'm hoping it at least recognizes the nicknames
Yeah, yesterday I bit the bullet and went through my Google Contacts, adding AIM screennames to the 30 or so people that I talk to the most on it, so that it should work seamlessly when I get the Pre. I don't have any nicknames set up in AIM or anything (haven't used the official client in ages) but I could see where that'd be useful for people.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0