webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > So I was looking through the Apple app store....
So I was looking through the Apple app store....
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/07/2009, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
...and all I can say is...wow...so much stuff available and some real fun games and functional stuff amongst it.

Seeing that there are 15000 apps already available at the App Store, it makes me very hopeful that a lot of developers will jump on the Pre as soon as the SDK and the Palm App Store equivalent will be made available. Seeing how flooded the Apple App store is, I am sure developers will lick their fingers to be the first on the next new platform.

Lets hope Mojo will be powerful enough for some serious killer apps to be developed and to wow people into getting on board with the Pre.

What I am still wondering though is, as far as I know, you pay for the Apps at the App Store with your own credit card through iTunes, I wonder how that will work on Sprint with the Pre. Will you pay with your card, or will it be added to the phone bill? Guess we'll find out.

I am cautiously optimistic, lets see how many devs will jump on board, and just how much they can squeeze out of the Pre....it does concern me a bit that Mojo will restrict them from really getting to the meat of the hardware. I am not expecting fancy 3d games like on the iPhone, but at least make them prettier and smoother than most of the stuff you get on Windows Mobile.

Just rambling on here...it's been a bit slower than usual here on the forum.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2009, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
fwinst's Avatar
 
Posts: 715
[QUOTE=MannyZ28;1554920...What I am still wondering though is, as far as I know, you pay for the Apps at the App Store with your own credit card through iTunes, I wonder how that will work on Sprint with the Pre. Will you pay with your card, or will it be added to the phone bill? Guess we'll find out.
[/QUOTE]

It probably will depend on who runs the store. If it's Palm, you'll need a card. If it's Sprint, you'll probably have a choice of card or bill.
fwinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2009, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
Hope it's not the bill, because if your company pays for your phone bill, then you'd have to have some explaining to do what that "preBoobs" charge on the bill is all about.... lol
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2009, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
TurboTiger's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,277
Can someone please explain what Mojo is?

TIA
__________________
iPhone 4S
Former Treo & Storm Owner
Cigar Lover
TurboTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2009, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
schnoid's Avatar
 
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
Can someone please explain what Mojo is?

TIA
Are you serious? You're on here every day and you haven't figured that one out yet? Mojo is the announced name of the WebOS SDK. It's rumored to be built off of the Dojo SDK.
schnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2009, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
TurboTiger's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
Are you serious? You're on here every day and you haven't figured that one out yet?
This didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
Mojo is the announced name of the WebOS SDK. It's rumored to be built off of the Dojo SDK.
This helped.

Tks for the info schnoid
__________________
iPhone 4S
Former Treo & Storm Owner
Cigar Lover
TurboTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
Mojo is the announced name of the WebOS SDK. It's rumored to be built off of the Dojo SDK.
As far as I can tell, the only rumours that connected the DojoToolkit to Mojo were from from mojo.js file, which has been debunked.

Plus, if Palm has based Mojo off an existing javascript toolkit, I would hope they would choose a better performing one

Anyway, back to the topic, I don't believe Palm's 3rd party apps will be to rise above Apple Store numbers until some for of native SDK comes. If the rumours of Mojo being easy to use/code for are true, then I could see that very much boosting Palm webOS's initial app #s
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 131
I'm not sure how possible it is but I hope some how they have amazon involved in this. That way you can buy music on there and apps as well can be accessible there for the phone. Then they can come up with a way for you to be able to buy it with an amazon card, credit card, or charged to your sprint bill. This could also lead the way for all sprint phones to be able to buy their stuff on amazon.

I don't work for them but they have great music and videos there that you can already download. So it would be easier than waiting and developing something on their own. Not to mention if you buy tv show episodes (like myself) you can also have them on your phone in 1-2-3 or streaming using wi-fi or sprint internet.

For me I see it as a great opportunity for both companies and this could help also change the online multimedia experience for Sprint. By eventually expanding this to all phones.
laravia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
I'm not sure how possible it is but I hope some how they have amazon involved in this. That way you can buy music on there and apps as well can be accessible there for the phone. Then they can come up with a way for you to be able to buy it with an amazon card, credit card, or charged to your sprint bill. This could also lead the way for all sprint phones to be able to buy their stuff on amazon.

I don't work for them but they have great music and videos there that you can already download. So it would be easier than waiting and developing something on their own. Not to mention if you buy tv show episodes (like myself) you can also have them on your phone in 1-2-3 or streaming using wi-fi or sprint internet.

For me I see it as a great opportunity for both companies and this could help also change the online multimedia experience for Sprint. By eventually expanding this to all phones.
Well the Amazon.com music store is a given, they even demonstrated that being installed on the Pre. We'll see if it will stay limited to just the music or more. This all has me very excited and we'll just have to wait and see how it will all play out.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
KrazyRogue's Avatar
 
Posts: 335
I hate the fact that the apple app store does not offer trials of programs. That's one of the many things that ticked me off when I had the iPhone. I didn't own it long enough(10 days) to know if apple had another method around it. But the first impression I got from this whole app store thing was you either buy the program, if you don't like it too bad. If I'm wrong, I hope I'm corrected.
KrazyRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 02:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 156
The App Store is a nightmare. It's full of crappy "applications" and impossible to navigate to find anything actually useful.

The concept is great but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

I also agree strongly about not having demo apps. I hope Palm allow them.
paulpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 04:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
Well...I just looked through the top free apps/games...forget about the rest. If there is a killer app to be found, I am sure the iPhone forums will report on it. There probably is a free and a pay version for many apps, that ball bearing in the labyrinth game is a good example of it.

I am just keeping my hopes up that Palm and some good developers will give us some great apps, so we don't have to give the iPhone any envious looks.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
dwhitman's Avatar
 
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Plus, if Palm has based Mojo off an existing javascript toolkit, I would hope they would choose a better performing one
The page you cite doesn't label the x-axis on the results graphs, making it easy to misinterpret them. But if you follow the link on the graph page to the source of the test used (SlickSpeed Selectors Test) it appears that the axis should be labeled "milliseconds to complete test".

As such, shorter bars mean better performance, and Dojo comes out looking faster than any of the other frameworks tested.
dwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
The page you cite doesn't label the x-axis on the results graphs, making it easy to misinterpret them. But if you follow the link on the graph page to the source of the test used (SlickSpeed Selectors Test) it appears that the axis should be labeled "milliseconds to complete test".

As such, shorter bars mean better performance, and Dojo comes out looking faster than any of the other frameworks tested.
Good catch Still, I've seen no real signs Palm is using an sdk based off Mojo. Though at least I'm not opposed to it now
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 01:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
KrazyRogue's Avatar
 
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
I hate the fact that the apple app store does not offer trials of programs. That's one of the many things that ticked me off when I had the iPhone. I didn't own it long enough(10 days) to know if apple had another method around it. But the first impression I got from this whole app store thing was you either buy the program, if you don't like it too bad. If I'm wrong, I hope I'm corrected.
This article from BGR backs up what I was trying to say: Rumblings resurface regarding lack of App Store trials : Boy Genius Report
KrazyRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
kaptainchump's Avatar
 
Posts: 147
I hope they allow purchases to be added to your bill. I get $50 every month from sprint to buy whatever i want
kaptainchump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
I hope they allow purchases to be added to your bill. I get $50 every month from sprint to buy whatever i want
Really? How did you qualify for that?
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 03:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Posts: 3,609
Do you really want that cell bill to include app charges plus taxes for everything on top of it? They've hard enough time with keeping my bill straight as it is..no matter the carrier. I try to avoid having to call any carrier whenever possible..so app charges would really really not be a good idea here.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
MannyZ28's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
Do you really want that cell bill to include app charges plus taxes for everything on top of it? They've hard enough time with keeping my bill straight as it is..no matter the carrier. I try to avoid having to call any carrier whenever possible..so app charges would really really not be a good idea here.
Couldn't agree more! So far though, if you buy apps from the Sprint Store, they go on your bill, right? I never bought anything from there, but I am assuming that's how it works? I am really hoping they will keep this separate, that would make my life much easier.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2009, 04:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Q
Member
 
Q's Avatar
 
Posts: 686
As I see it, you may get charged by the carriers for carrier-branded content; probably not for apps, though. Imagine getting an unlocked GSM Pre and switching carriers--then they have to switch over app charges too. And maybe you want it on a carrier that doesn't (at that time, anyway) offer the Pre. IMO, sounds like it'd be more trouble than it's worth for everyone.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0