webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > So I was looking through the Apple app store....
So I was looking through the Apple app store....

Old 02/10/2009, 05:05 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
I will be purchasing Pocket Informant. I have used it in the past on my old WM device. I have to admit though, I'm pretty satisfied with the Contacts and Calendar app already on the iPhone. I sync up to my Exchange server at work and everything is pushed down. I have about 750 contacts on my device and never have a problem finding any of them. My calendar shows all of my meeting with any notes I might have included.

Add this to Omnifocus (I'm a huge task managment user), and evernote (have about 300 notes on my iPhone), and I think I'm pretty well covered.

Please tell me how the iPhone PIM is "dreadful at best"?
No way to categorize contacts on the original PIM. "Favorites" doesn't cut it. Almost useless is what I'd use instead of dreadful.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Pearl_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 05:10 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
what did you use before the iphone?
I am kind of a phone junkie, plus I use to do mobile support for my company. The last phone I had before the iPhone was a Blackberry Storm (yuck). Here are others I have tried in no particular order.

1. BB Curve
2. HTC Touch
3. BB Bold
4. Treo 650, 680, Centro, 700w, 750
5. BB Curve 2 (carry this now in addition to iPhone)
6. BB Pearl
7. Tried a G1 for a couple of weeks
8. Blackjack

Will most likely own a PRE
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 05:10 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
No way to categorize contacts on the original PIM. "Favorites" doesn't cut it. Almost useless is what I'd use instead of dreadful.

I categorize my contacts by last name and company name. There are 3rd party Contact apps that would allow me to create contact groups and categories. I just don't need it.
Old 02/10/2009, 05:13 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
I would love to see Copy/Paste. I email my pictures to people, and have no desire to capture bad video.
I have to say again that lack of MMS is a serious pain for me. Friends are always sending me pics and using email(or that link from AT&T) to retrieve them is tedious. I tell them to use my other phone number to send pics. I like to send them pics too, but couldn't. Until I found that Fetch MMS app. Video recording would be nice since every other new phone has it and the option comes in handy if you need to shoot impromptu video for whatever reason.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Old 02/10/2009, 05:16 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
I have to say again that lack of MMS is a serious pain for me. Friends are always sending me pics and using email(or that link from AT&T) to retrieve them is tedious. I tell them to use my other phone number to send pics. I like to send them pics too, but couldn't. Until I found that Fetch MMS app. Video recording would be nice since every other new phone has it and the option comes in handy if you need to shoot impromptu video for whatever reason.
If I was a big MMS user I wouldn't buy an iPhone. Never been an issue for me because everybody I know has email on their phone. Also email is free where MMS is not.
Old 02/10/2009, 05:17 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
There are 3rd party Contact apps that would allow me to create contact groups and categories. I just don't need it.
That's what I mean. Other phones have categorizing built-in already. Even my dumbphone allows group creation. That's abysmal for Apple to overlook the obvious.

Categorizing is a necessity, especially when your list is LONG.

Old 02/10/2009, 05:20 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what I mean. Other phones have categorizing built-in already. Even my dumbphone allows group creation. That's abysmal for Apple to overlook the obvious.

Categorizing is a necessity, especially when your list is LONG.
Yet everybody is fine with having to buy Datebk6 for their treos. Built in apps are never as good as 3rd party replacements. Whats your point?
Old 02/10/2009, 05:24 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
If I was a big MMS user I wouldn't buy an iPhone. Never been an issue for me because everybody I know has email on their phone. Also email is free where MMS is not.
Technically email on the iPhone isn't truly free, it requires a data plan. I also buy messaging packages because I'm a heavy texter so MMS is included(except when using iPhone of course).

Now on the Touch, email IS free if you find a wifi spot.

Old 02/10/2009, 05:28 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Technically email on the iPhone isn't truly free, it requires a data plan. I also buy messaging packages because I'm a heavy texter so MMS is included(except when using iPhone of course).

Now on the Touch, email IS free if you find a wifi spot.
I would be buying the data plan anyway so I can use the web browser, app store, and itunes store when I'm not near wi-fi coverage. MMS is just another unnecessary expense for me. As I said, everybody I would want to send a picture to has email on their phone.
Old 02/10/2009, 05:32 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
I am kind of a phone junkie, plus I use to do mobile support for my company. The last phone I had before the iPhone was a Blackberry Storm (yuck). Here are others I have tried in no particular order.

1. BB Curve
2. HTC Touch
3. BB Bold
4. Treo 650, 680, Centro, 700w, 750
5. BB Curve 2 (carry this now in addition to iPhone)
6. BB Pearl
7. Tried a G1 for a couple of weeks
8. Blackjack

Will most likely own a PRE
See, that explains alot! It really does.
Think about this.
Most of your phones have been messaging centric. Is that a correct assumption?
For me (and folks like me) I started with a Handspring Visor and a Cell Phone.
I used PDAs for what they were intended (originally intended.....you know replace a paper planner...which I used) and I used them HOW they were intended. The first smart phone I ever had was the Centro and if my Palm TX had not died, I likely wouldn't be using it......
So I guess for me its Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes FIRST. And have them work WELL together and easily. The device needs to stay out of my way as much as possible. No work-arounds. No funny business. It doesn't have to be pretty...just work.
As Old as the Palm OS is, it is still the king (in many folk's view) of just organizing your life. Its straight, simple, and bam.

It really is a subtle difference....but its there.
SolarPlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 05:58 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Yet everybody is fine with having to buy Datebk6 for their treos. Built in apps are never as good as 3rd party replacements. Whats your point?
I don't use Palm OS anymore. WM is my OS.

My point about the iPhone is that it does NOT even have the basics in PIM management while almost every other phone worth it's salt does.

Old 02/10/2009, 06:01 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
I would be buying the data plan anyway so I can use the web browser, app store, and itunes store when I'm not near wi-fi coverage. MMS is just another unnecessary expense for me. As I said, everybody I would want to send a picture to has email on their phone.
People who refuse to text are so 2000, LOL! j/k

But texting is so much faster than email.

Old 02/10/2009, 10:54 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
...Seeing that there are 15000 apps already available at the App Store,...
Scratch that - According to Apptism, Apple’s App Store is now over 20,000...

MacNN | App Store exceeds 20,000 titles

CVB
cvbcvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2009, 10:10 AM   #94 (permalink)
Banned

So i was looking through the app store on my iphone and got tired. LOL Man, there is a lot to go through as you flick past the trash. How about an option to bookmark possibles..or ones to think about buying? The search only works well if you know what you're looking for.

I'd like to be able to sort by release date, price, downloads in a day, week, month, etc.

But then again, to be honest, since i know i'll be getting the Pre, i'm not crazy about getting any more iphone apps right now. An ipod touch could be in my future though since i got a few..who knows? And my two year old (soon to be 3) simply loves watching Backyardigans on it. An ipod touch may have its purpose for me.

About the two year old. When we went without power for 10 days in the ice storm in our area...the one thing i was thankful for was the iphone. The kiddo spent a lot of time watching it which was pretty soothing for her in a time she doesn't like being in the dark. I got a lot of use out of my Kindle & clipon light Was able to use the van to charge the iphone when needed. Of course, now she begs me to "watch" my phone.

Last edited by cardfan; 02/11/2009 at 10:16 AM.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2009, 11:52 AM   #95 (permalink)

I agree that no wish list options in the App Store suck. I'm not sure the original music store has one either.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0