webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > So I was looking through the Apple app store....
So I was looking through the Apple app store....

Old 02/10/2009, 12:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
You might have to excuse me, but not everybody wants to use their device like you do. I use my ereader every day. When I'm getting on a subway car in NYC, I'm not about to take out my laptop and start ereading. I also use my movie app to manage my Netflix queue. Again, having the ability of not having to be in front of my laptop when it pops into my head that I might want to watch a certain movie is so convenient.
Not my point at all. My point was that at the very least ANY device with the iPhone's technical specs (3.5 inch 16 million color capacitive glass screen with big processor behind it) should be able to do is trump years old handsets and tiny 2-inch screens for being readable and better to watch media on. It's not a "plus" for the iPhone OS and its apps. It would be the case for almost any modern OS running on that hardware. Now that devices are being created (e.g. Samsung Omnia, Palm Pre, Xperia X1, Nokia N97) with similar specs, that advantage will disappear, so there's no point in comparin, say, the iPhone Fandango "app" with any of the bazillion similar functions on WM or Garnet.

Quote:
I find it incredible that people can't understand that my needs may be different than theirs. I could never go back to an outdated OS that doesn't allow me to do half the things that my current device does.
Again...not knocking your needs at all. I continually qualified what I said as applying to me and to no one else. But that "outdated OS" still allows me to do lots of things important TO ME the iPhone OS does not...like have a choice of what core apps I want on my device. Or shoot video. Or cut and paste. Or find a more stable web browser than the default one. Or switch out my dead battery for a spare, and be up and running in minutes.

I love the iPhone/iPod OS for what it does well: Play media, install apps easily, and add flash to average apps. But - strictly for me - it wouldn't work as a phone and PDA. It takes way too many taps to do the most mundane tasks. Safari - as beautiful and functional as she is - dumps me out to the desktop waaaaaaay too much. It's inadequate as a PDA. I have lotf of friends with iPhones. Most of them love it. But it aint an all-in-one device for me.
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 12:28 PM   #62 (permalink)

That's what I am hoping for with the Pre, that it will be the all in one device I always wanted. For the most part my Sprint Touch comes pretty close just because it gives you all kinds of freedom to change the UI and total look of the phone, however, at it's core, WM is just so darn clunky and was never meant for easy use on a mobile phone. After seeing the Pre in action in the CES videos, I really noticed just how many things i have to tap on on my current phone to get where I want to go. Combine that with frequent crashes and general sluggishness, and you know why I am getting tired of it despite all the cool apps I have for it. The apps, that's another problem, they just don't look as good as their iphone counter parts and many times feel clunky, amateur like, and sluggish. If the Pre becomes a big hit, I have high hopes that we get high quality nice, iphone app looking apps that aren't regulated as is the case with Apple. Honestly, if the iPhone was out on Sprint, with Sprints current plans, I'd probably have one too. As things stand, I want the Pre to be a success and a true "iPhone killer"....well until the next version comes out.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 12:34 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
I agree the iPhone apps store does have better apps than the Treo on some things, but we're talking about a 10 year old OS, the fact that you can still build useful apps on it, to me is a testament to the great OS it was when it came out. Blame Palm for not improving on it. But don't blame Palm for going out of the box and coming up with WebOS. If you take the same apps and hopefully have the chance to make them as functional on a Pre as an iPhone, and I know I'd take the Pre apps over the iphone ones..The iPhone OS since it came out has been the best without a doubt, until I saw the Pre's WebOS..And who knows within another few years we'll all be gawking at the newest OS to shame Apple and Palm.
First of all I never said anything about PRE apps. I was responding to the post that all iPhone apps are useless. Also, I would still be careful in assuming apps created in javascript and html will be on the same quality as apps coded in Objective-C.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 12:34 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
Call me stupid or something, but what does PIM stand for? Personal Item Management?
Personal information management.

Good Luck
TurboTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 12:37 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
X-Plane
Look great.
Tks for posting this mobileman.
Good Luck
TurboTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 12:40 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
I love the iPhone/iPod OS for what it does well: Play media, install apps easily, and add flash to average apps. But - strictly for me - it wouldn't work as a phone and PDA. It takes way too many taps to do the most mundane tasks. Safari - as beautiful and functional as she is - dumps me out to the desktop waaaaaaay too much. It's inadequate as a PDA. I have lotf of friends with iPhones. Most of them love it. But it aint an all-in-one device for me.
I can buy that. But in my opinion (and for my needs) in addition to being the best media device on the market, the quality and quantity of 3rd party apps add tons of productivity, fun, and convenience. As a future PRE owner, I hope Palm gets it half as right.
Old 02/10/2009, 01:40 PM   #67 (permalink)

haha... look at all the discussion you created =P The forum has gotten a bit livelier again.

But yeah, thanks for sharing the list. My only experience with the iphone is seeing a couple games and other useless programs.

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
Gerorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 01:51 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
I will be purchasing Pocket Informant. I have used it in the past on my old WM device. I have to admit though, I'm pretty satisfied with the Contacts and Calendar app already on the iPhone. I sync up to my Exchange server at work and everything is pushed down. I have about 750 contacts on my device and never have a problem finding any of them. My calendar shows all of my meeting with any notes I might have included.

Add this to Omnifocus (I'm a huge task managment user), and evernote (have about 300 notes on my iPhone), and I think I'm pretty well covered.

Please tell me how the iPhone PIM is "dreadful at best"?
Maybe I just do things differently, but I like to be able to link contacts to notes and calendar events and tasks...
I like having more than 3 calendar views
I like today screens
Those things are the basis of how I do things - but thats just me. And I would rather have those things than eye candy.
Pocket Informant might be the golden product, but I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong.
SolarPlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 02:07 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
I...have to disagree. And it's not a matter of "home team pride." I have a Centro, and I have an iPod Touch 16GB. I downloaded quite a few apps the first day I got the iPod Touch, and I have used almost none of them since.

To some degree, this is because it's a personal media player to me instead of my phone. But if I see a superior app on the iPhone/iPod OS, I'd use it in a heartbeat. When my family went on vacation this Christmas, I used the iPod Google Maps almost all of the time (I only used my Centro one when we were away from wi-fi). It's a superior application on a device with much better specs than the Centro. But I have yet to see a PIM/scheduler that matches the Palm OS ones. I have yet to see any non-jailbreak options for skinning the iPhone, whereas I can configure the look and feel of Palm OS 50 different ways with a few button presses (though I mostly stick with UltimatePhone these days). While iPhone is flush with graphically-rich games, I dislike using the accelerometer or touches to control them.

And to me, there's no point in comparing eReaders, or movie ticket apps, or even news apps...the newness of the iPhone OS coupled with the size of the screen and the processing power means it SHOULD have a significant advantage in text/reading-heavy apps over other mobile devices. I'd be no more impressed if you told me you'd rather do these same things on a 17-inch screen laptop running Vista.

And while Apple has created a streamlined framework for apps, the restrictions are part of why I wouldn't want an iPhone as my main device for more than a little while. The look of their OS is already becoming a bit dated in my opinion. But you can't change it without a jailbreak. Tired of Safari constantly crashing? Not too many options to replace it. Other OSes have plenty. Want your choice of onscreen keyboards and how they are oriented? Tough. Want a media player with everything you want integrated instead of having to use the iPod app AND an internet radio app AND another app for this or that?

There's too much I have to have to fight Apple for regarding a device that I own.
nice post and totally agree!!!
Old 02/10/2009, 02:11 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
I don't think the PIM management is bad at all on the iPhone if you use Exchange. Plus, by adding iMExchange you get your email, contacts, calendar, note and tasks all syncing OTA.
Everyone has their preferences, I guess. I just know when I used my wife's iphone to evaluate the platform, it fell flat for my personal taste.....
Old 02/10/2009, 02:20 PM   #71 (permalink)

Hmm, my Treo has better Copy & Paste, MMS, Video recording, etc. than the iPhone...
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 02:30 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
Hmm, my Treo has better Copy & Paste, MMS, Video recording, etc. than the iPhone...
Copy and Paste I totally agree

Don't use MMS or video recording and don't know what etc. is.
Old 02/10/2009, 02:36 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
Maybe I just do things differently, but I like to be able to link contacts to notes and calendar events and tasks...
I like having more than 3 calendar views
I like today screens
Those things are the basis of how I do things - but thats just me. And I would rather have those things than eye candy.
Pocket Informant might be the golden product, but I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong.
I can link contacts to my notes via Evernote. I can do this right from Outlook. After you install Evernote desktop, an "add to Evernote" item appears in the outlook menu. I agree with the views. I am getting PI mostly for the integrated week via. However, I have to be honest. I am very satisfied with the day view in the default calendar. It shows me everything I need.
Old 02/10/2009, 02:39 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
I would love to see Copy/Paste. I email my pictures to people, and have no desire to capture bad video.

I find it odd that future PRE owners are complaining about the lack of control that Apple give developers, but have no problems with Palm probably only supplying few (if any) developers access to the linux core which will be necessary to create more advanced apps.
Old 02/10/2009, 02:52 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
I can link contacts to my notes via Evernote. I can do this right from Outlook. After you install Evernote desktop, an "add to Evernote" item appears in the outlook menu. I agree with the views. I am getting PI mostly for the integrated week via. However, I have to be honest. I am very satisfied with the day view in the default calendar. It shows me everything I need.
And therein lies the reason I don't think the iPhone is meant for me. Look at what you have to do to link just contacts to notes........

Now, try that on the device itself.
On my Centro, I get off a call with a client, then I can attach a note to that client, add a to-do if needed, and see my contact history with them.

But like I said, thats just me....
Don't get me wrong....I absolutely love Evernote. Its one of the best applications out there. I WISH there were a native Palm OS app for it - but here's hoping for a WebOS port.
And to be honest, Evernote was a Key factor for me even considering the iphone for anything serious. (I don't like WM too much)
Old 02/10/2009, 03:05 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
And therein lies the reason I don't think the iPhone is meant for me. Look at what you have to do to link just contacts to notes........

Now, try that on the device itself.
On my Centro, I get off a call with a client, then I can attach a note to that client, add a to-do if needed, and see my contact history with them.
On the iPhone I can make a call with a client, then attach a note. I use Omnifocus for my tasks, so I would have to open the app first. However, I am more than comfortable with this trade off in order to use in my mind the best task management program available anywhere.
Old 02/10/2009, 04:14 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
I will be purchasing Pocket Informant. I have used it in the past on my old WM device. I have to admit though, I'm pretty satisfied with the Contacts and Calendar app already on the iPhone. I sync up to my Exchange server at work and everything is pushed down. I have about 750 contacts on my device and never have a problem finding any of them. My calendar shows all of my meeting with any notes I might have included.

Add this to Omnifocus (I'm a huge task managment user), and evernote (have about 300 notes on my iPhone), and I think I'm pretty well covered.

Please tell me how the iPhone PIM is "dreadful at best"?
You can't sync notes or tasks to outlook without a 3rd party app. There is no week view. The mechanism for entering an appointment is laborious.

Last edited by paulpenny; 02/10/2009 at 04:21 PM.
paulpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2009, 04:26 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
You can't sync notes or tasks to outlook without a 3rd party app. There is no week view. The mechanism for entering an appointment is laborious.
Well, I would use both Evernote and Omnifocus for my notes and tasks anyway. In my mind they are far superior to anything included in outlook or iCal anyway. How are you planning on syncing your outlook notes to your PRE? ActiveSync does not sync notes.

I dont find entering an appointment laborious at all. I do it everyday.
Old 02/10/2009, 04:50 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
It may be true you can't sync notes and tasks without a 3rd party app, but, the 3rd party app is only about 7 or 8 dollars. Pretty cheap for this functionality. Plus, as Mobileman stated, Evernote has much better functionality over Outlook Notes. I do use both. I use Evernote for more sophisticated notes, such as notes that may include pictures. Evernote will search text in pictures.

Don't have a problem entering appointments. I enter more appointments on my iPhone than my desktop.
Old 02/10/2009, 04:55 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I would use both Evernote and Omnifocus for my notes and tasks anyway. In my mind they are far superior to anything included in outlook or iCal anyway. How are you planning on syncing your outlook notes to your PRE? ActiveSync does not sync notes.

I dont find entering an appointment laborious at all. I do it everyday.
what did you use before the iphone?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0