webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Applications for the Pre...
Applications for the Pre...

Old 02/04/2009, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

What kind of applications can you run on the pre?

Older pos phones and the iphone have countless #'s of applications that can be run which are developed by third parties.

Do developers have to start all over again? If so, it could be a long time before one could trick their phone out. Right?
brothermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2009, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I doubt it'll take long. Although I don't know much about programming. Palm claims it's very easy to develop for, they've been listening to developer input, and there's gonna be a PreDevCamp. Someone may even make an POS emulator.

My guess is apps won't take long at all to start appearing. Hopefully I'll be able to create some myself. :-)
Gerorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2009, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
What kind of applications can you run on the pre?

Older pos phones and the iphone have countless #'s of applications that can be run which are developed by third parties.

Do developers have to start all over again? If so, it could be a long time before one could trick their phone out. Right?
There are numerous threads on this, try reading this one: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...rely-dead.html

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
Palm Pre wallpapers
NachoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2009, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Obviously I've never seen the WebOS SDK (mojo), but it seems from what palm has said right now that it's going to be super easy to develop for. I'm not much of a web programmer, but anyone with even the slightest bit of programming knowledge can pick up a javascript book and develop an application. My thought is that people are gonna be taking every little javascript app on the web and will be able to convert them to work on the Pre with little to no work. If this turns out to be true then the number of apps for webOS will surpass even the iphone within a few months.

The big worry right now is that low level programming functions will not be accessible with the Mojo sdk, so more advanced programs may take some time to develop.
schnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2009, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks folks. I really want this phone but may have to go with the pro for certain types of software that only runs on windows mobile (like business contact manager).

Thanks again, I very much appreciate the feedback!
brothermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0