webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > JavaScript & HTML 5
JavaScript & HTML 5

Old 01/31/2009, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know the basics and need someone with knowledgeable insight to point me in the right direction. Iíve been following the new PalmPre smartphone for close to a year. I want to be able to develop applications, software, etc for the new PalmPre. http://developer.palm.com/ I just donít want to spend my money on worthless material. I already spent 4 yrs getting a BS in Tech & Business...then spent the past 3 yrs hating my job...i'm determined to learn how to do something useful. I've chatted w/ a few people on the board that have already giving me some great resources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
turnitblue23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2009, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, for one, with the SDK not out yet, nobody actually knows exactly what is necessary, so if you're going to spend money, you might want to wait until its actually out.

Anything else that might be suggested is only speculation based on the bits and pieces from articles all around the Internet, but it seems the key bits are that it's HTML5, CSS, and Javascript. I don't actually know much about them myself, but learning the three of those would be your best bet, not only for Pre development but for web development in general.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2009, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

For starters could anyone suggest good websites, books and tutorials? Thanks
Old 01/31/2009, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks, i think i'm going to buy a book that cover all 3. sounds like a good place to start. if anyone else has any input please speak up

i'm definitely a noob, but i'm determined to get in the game
Old 01/31/2009, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's hard to find a book that covers all three in any kind of substantial detail, but you could take a look at some of these:

Programmers Reference

Javascript and Ajax for the Web

CSS & HTML Design Patterns

If you have a Borders or Books-a-Million or anything like that nearby, I'd suggest swinging by there and checking out some of the stuff they have (usually in some kind of Reference or Technology section).

-J.D.

Follow me on Twitter
Jonathan Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2009, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitblue23 View Post
I know the basics and need someone with knowledgeable insight to point me in the right direction. Iíve been following the new PalmPre smartphone for close to a year. I want to be able to develop applications, software, etc for the new PalmPre. http://developer.palm.com/ I just donít want to spend my money on worthless material. I already spent 4 yrs getting a BS in Tech & Business...then spent the past 3 yrs hating my job...i'm determined to learn how to do something useful. I've chatted w/ a few people on the board that have already giving me some great resources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I suggest going with any of the countless free tutorials on the web. I first learned javascript on http://webmonkey.com many years ago. More recently, I've used http://w3schools.com to learn other stuff.

If you haven't already, you might want to join the Palm Developer Network.
http://pdnet.palm.com

And they've said that the sdk will be based on Eclipse. In case the sdk is not released for a while, you might want to get a copy of Eclipse if only to get familiar with the UI. It's free. Aptana's bundled version of Eclipse looks pretty good, though I honestly haven't spent much time with it.
http://www.aptana.com/
samkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2009, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a medical app which I distribute as freeware (it's useful only to a niche group anyway) and written in NSBasic.
In preparation for WebOS, I have started porting some of the modules over to a Javascript "webapp" on my website and it seems to be working fine. It's also an interesting exercise for me as I am new to Javascript. I hope this means that making the jump to using Mojo will be less painful or will it still be an uphill task?
Old 02/02/2009, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Downer View Post
It's hard to find a book that covers all three in any kind of substantial detail, but you could take a look at some of these:

Programmers Reference

Javascript and Ajax for the Web

CSS & HTML Design Patterns

If you have a Borders or Books-a-Million or anything like that nearby, I'd suggest swinging by there and checking out some of the stuff they have (usually in some kind of Reference or Technology section).

-J.D.
I will definitely read all 3

Last edited by turnitblue23; 02/02/2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02/02/2009, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkim View Post
I suggest going with any of the countless free tutorials on the web. I first learned javascript on http://webmonkey.com many years ago. More recently, I've used http://w3schools.com to learn other stuff.

If you haven't already, you might want to join the Palm Developer Network.
http://pdnet.palm.com

And they've said that the sdk will be based on Eclipse. In case the sdk is not released for a while, you might want to get a copy of Eclipse if only to get familiar with the UI. It's free. Aptana's bundled version of Eclipse looks pretty good, though I honestly haven't spent much time with it.
http://www.aptana.com/
this is all really great feedback! i didn't know there are free tutorials online, i will give them a look tomorrow. as for the PDN, i have not joined. i guess you can say i think i'm to green to take that step yet. i bought this book:

http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Mis...bosnation0e-20

i'm only into the first chapter, so far it's good...imo....to be honest i'm kinda overwhelmed. it seems like everyone i talk to tells me something different, or tells me i shouldn't mess w/ palm and go google. i support palm and would prefer to focus on the PRE, but at the same time don't want to limit myself to much to one thing. it's hard to grasp the main "concepts" i need to make my dreams become reality. my career has been squashed with the housing crisis. i've got to teach myself something that will be valuable & beneficial to me & my family. keep the feedback coming!
Old 02/02/2009, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Absolutely don't listen to what other people tell you about which OS you should program for. They ALL have their ups and downs, and if webOS delievers like we all think and pray it will, then its as good if not a better choice than Android. Google isn't immune to failure, and I'm still not convinced Android is the be all/end all of open source mobile platforms.

Follow me on Twitter
Jonathan Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2009, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

i figured it out

Last edited by turnitblue23; 02/03/2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02/03/2009, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

How much programming experience dou you actually have? Have you programmed in any particular language or for any platform? Your question is pretty vague right now as it doesn't give us anywhere to point you. If you want to know what you need to develop apps for the pre, there is no answer to that as none of us have access to the SDK. If you're asking about what development tools to use i.e. Notepad++, then that's all a matter of preference.

http://www.twitter.com/palmprephreak
epz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2009, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epz3 View Post
How much programming experience dou you actually have? Have you programmed in any particular language or for any platform? Your question is pretty vague right now as it doesn't give us anywhere to point you. If you want to know what you need to develop apps for the pre, there is no answer to that as none of us have access to the SDK. If you're asking about what development tools to use i.e. Notepad++, then that's all a matter of preference.
I don't have much programming experience. I'm currently studying JavaScript, HTML, & CSS
Old 02/13/2009, 04:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

I bought both "Javascript Bible" and "Javascript: The Definitive Guide" after some quick google researching. (I'm coming from basic html and css knowledge that I learned from w3schools.com. Which also happens to be what my quick google researching recommended for CSS and XML.)

Got The Definitive Guide first... it was a bit overwhelming. Tried some of the webmonkey tutorials and the Guide started making a lot more sense, after getting some hands on time. The JS Bible came later, and I definitely think it's the best of the three so far

(And it's pointed out at least one out of date thing that webmonkey was trying to teach me. Webmonkey uses the old <script language = "javascript"> method rather than <script type = "text/javascript">)

Although since The Guide and The JS Bible are organized differently, I'm sure they'll both be good reference books.

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic

Last edited by Gerorne; 02/13/2009 at 04:57 AM.
Gerorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2009, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

You've been covering something that was just announced in January for over a year?
Old 02/16/2009, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
You've been covering something that was just announced in January for over a year?
I caught that too, but figured it was best to ignore it.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2009, 12:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Guess I'm a little late on this thread, but I swear by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo! He has the awesomest knowledge of JavaScript, and I watch his JavaScript video's occasionally for entertainment. They're all great:

Part 1 of 4, The JavaScript Programming Language
Douglas Crockford: "The JavaScript Programming Language"/1 of 4 on Yahoo! Video

Part 1 of 3, The Theory of the DOM
Douglas Crockford: "Theory of the DOM " (1 of 3) on Yahoo! Video

Part 1 of 3, Advanced JavaScript
Douglas Crockford: "Advanced JavaScript" (1 of 3) on Yahoo! Video

I'd watch them in that order, it'll probably take you like 5 to 6 hours total, but watch one series per night and 3 days later you'll have a really good handle on the language, it's proficiencies and it's pitfalls.

For books, I use "The JavaScript Bible 6th Edition" as a reference, but I also have a signed copy of Crockford's "JavaScript: The Good Parts" and a good one is Steve Souders "High Performance Web Sites" because performance happens when you start coding, not when you're done.
SeanBlader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2009, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

webOS tutorials, forums and resources for developers - weboshelp.net
JaMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

palmdoc2005,

One of the first apps for webOS that I am working on is a medical app. I am guessing that a good number of doctors that still carry around Palm devices for Epocrates may switch to the Pre and use Classic to begin with. I think it will be a good are to code in.
BrettQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0