webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > what no video recording
what no video recording

Old 01/23/2009, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

what's up with smartphones nowadays? Lacking simple features that the first flip phone has . I was just reading the faq on gizmodo and they said it does not have vr at launch but something they r looking at in the future. The problem with that is it could take forever for them to comeout with it . I mean come on first the iPhone then the g1 and now the pre doesn't have vr. But thank god for the led flash .
Jdangles18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2009, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have video recording on my Centro. I have never used it.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2009, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

So what if some people rarely use it? It's a common feature available on many other phones, even if you rarely use it. It would certainly come in handy for an emergency, if anything. Also snapping a quick video of a memorable moment when there's no true camera available.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Pearl_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2009, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't use it because the camera/video camera in every phone I own is complete crap. Its hard to take features that don't work well seriously.
Old 01/23/2009, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depends on the phone. The newer ones are a lot better than they used to be. I wouldn't try shooting a wedding with them but for casual or emergency snapshots, just fine. I shot a parade with a 5MP phone camera and the pictures are good enough to post on the internet. I don't know about printing but for internet viewing they are decent. You sometimes have to adjust the settings to get a better picture, just liike on a stand alone camera.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Old 01/23/2009, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

3MP is plenty for a snapshot camera. The problem with camera phones is the tiny CCD/CMOS sensor and the completely crappy lens. At least the Pre has a flash.
Old 01/23/2009, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sony Ericsson phones generally have good cameras. And the Nokia N95 was excellent!! I think it used Carl Zeiss, one of the best.

Old 01/23/2009, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
Sony Ericsson phones generally have good cameras. And the Nokia N95 was excellent!! I think it used Carl Zeiss, one of the best.
That would make it the exception. When Palm sells a smartphone with a Zeiss lens, then I will start worrying about the video recording capabilities.

I should point out though that most lenses that are branded 'Carl Zeiss' are not actually made by Zeiss, the company licenses its name to Japanese companies.

Last edited by ADGrant; 01/23/2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01/26/2009, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

damn, no video recording either? exactly how am I gonna shoot my on the fly homegrown? Palm did alot right this time around, but no sd slot, and no video recording are definitely two wrongs...
Old 01/26/2009, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

May be this is just the begaining, may be Palm has big plans ahead.
noel431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
damn, no video recording either? exactly how am I gonna shoot my on the fly homegrown? Palm did alot right this time around, but no sd slot, and no video recording are definitely two wrongs...
The operative word here is YET. As in "we are not talking about video capability now". Or "Right now it cannot play Flash (insert a smirk here)". That is the state of thing as of CES demo.
It doesn't state that the Palm Pre will not have a video recording capability or will not play Flash video when it is released. Only as of CES demo time-frame the video capability is not ready to be demonstrated yet.
pdaneophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well....the whole deal with the Camera is that it has all the advanced software.
Maybe the Video software (which may have advanced tech) won't be fully cooked by launch. (Since video is usually a software feature anyway)
Then again, maybe Palm did research and found that only 5% of potential buyers actually care about video.
SolarPlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 08:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
I have video recording on my Centro. I have never used it.
Doesn't mean you are the majority. I send my in laws 15 second clips of my kids saying hello three or four times a week, right from my phone to theirs for free with no transfer to pc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
excellent point. the are some very good quality cameras on phones now a days. There are lots of web cams on laptops that are very low quality but there is a demand for good reason.
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
Well....the whole deal with the Camera is that it has all the advanced software.
Maybe the Video software (which may have advanced tech) won't be fully cooked by launch. (Since video is usually a software feature anyway)
Then again, maybe Palm did research and found that only 5% of potential buyers actually care about video.
Maybe they realized that the minority of people who want video would be willing to pay a few bucks for a video recording app from the app store.
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Legend

According to Gizmodo:
Quote:
Does the Pre record video?

Palm said the Pre will not have video recording capability when it first launches, but it is something they are looking into for future updates.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 10:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

I think it is due to pressure from the MPAA. Too many people are using their phones to video record movies in theaters and posting them on the Internet.

I have a centro and I am pretty happy with it. I use the video recording from time to time, but if it's really important to me, I try to bring the video camera for the event.

I plan to get a Pre and it would be nice to have the ability to record video, but I understand that like any device, you can only put some much into it (both OS/software development time and hardware).
Old 01/26/2009, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
I think it is due to pressure from the MPAA. Too many people are using their phones to video record movies in theaters and posting them on the Internet.
That has to be BS. Camera phones have a low quality as it is. They're even worse in complete darkness, especially in a movie theater.
I doubt the popular seeders of movie releases acquire the files from someone who recorded it using a phone.
Se7enth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 02:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have at least 5 potential answers to this question, none of which will be appreciated by the Palm apologists here:

1. Laziness. Apple & the G1 don't have it, so why should Palm spend the time to write that compoent of the camera app?

2. Cost. Apple & the G1 don't have it, so why should Palm spend the $ to include it?

3. Time. Palm has spent years working on WebOS & the Pre and, much like the suspiciously absent MP3 player software on the original OS5 devuce (Tungsten T) back in '02, this just won't be ready for primetime. So it could be available later as a free OS update, or added as a downloadable for $ app, or simply saved to give users a reason to buy the Pre 2.

4. You can call this one "greed" or "continued revenue streams", depending on your stance. Palm & their partners can make more $ selling "feature plugins" such as voice dialing or video recording to address missing features in the OS. Whereas Garnet had lots of 3rd party developers selling apps & utilities to make up for the shortcomings of Garnet due to its age, WebOS will use the nickel & dime approach to fill in intentionally omitted features and subscription-based services to keep $ flowing in to Palm's 3rd party developers and to keep their app store going.

5. Video recording would be something that would expose the relatively puny amount (~7.4gb) of available onboard storage that cannot be expanded via microSD cards (again, another page from Apple's playbook).

Remember, while raising the bar in many areas (wi-fi, good browser, nice UI, etc), the iPhone has in some aspect LOWERED the bar on what most average users expect from a "modern" smartphone by leaving out "nerdy" features(stylus, IR port, removable battery, memory card slot, voice recorder, cut & paste, voice dialing over BT). Like it or not, everyone except for RIM & Microsoft's WM licensees are seemingly trying to follow Apple as closely as possible in many key OS & hardware areas. We're lucky Palm didn't dump the keyboard and the removable battery on the Pre...but I wouldn't rule out those being jettisoned for a future Centro 2. Sorry guys, but the days of the "value-packed" Centro coming with most of the hardware features of its big brother Treos and a generous software bundle standard appear to have drawn to a close.
Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
hkklife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

The Pre's CPU certainly would be capable.

PreCentral -Palm Pre's Processor is Fast!

Quote:
TI said that the ARM Cortex A8-based OMAP 3 processor in the Palm Pre is 3 times faster than the ARM11 core. So the Palm Pre's processor has the following features:

* Boots in as little as 4 seconds
* Up to 4x graphical performance
* Up to 2x camera performance improvements
* Up to 4x video performance
* The chip in the Palm Pre supports up to a 12 megapixel camera and offers support for 720p HD video.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0