webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Must-have application: STRIP
Must-have application: STRIP

Old 01/22/2009, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

I want to get a Pre when it comes out, but I can't unless I can move *all* of my mission-critical data to the new device. If the transfer process is cumbersome, but only needed once, I'll live. If it's not even *possible*, however, I'm just out of luck, and will stay with my current phone.

While cumbersome, it does look like there will be at least *some* way to get contacts and appointments moved across to the Pre from our "legacy" PalmOS Treos (through the "cloud" if necessary). I currently use a 755p, and this is a relief, as I have much of my life strapped to my hip, and I'd hate to lose it!

But, I have one more mission-critical application that I need before I can consider moving off the PalmOS platform: STRIP (the Secure Tool for Remembering Important Passwords). This is an easy-to-use (and fortunately GPL-licensed) tool that provides an encrypted database for all of the various passwords and other sensitive security information (like PINs and account names and numbers) that I need to log on to various web sites and other systems.

I practice safe computing: while I do have a few "generic" (easy to remember, but fairly strong) passwords that I use on web sites that "don't matter", any time I have to set a password for a system at work, or for a web site where money is involved (financial sites, online ordering, etc.), I use a very strong password with "random" mixed-case alphanumerics and special characters. There's no way I could remember these all without something like STRIP -- it lets me use strong encryption to secure all of my passwords, and I only need to remember *one* really secure password to get access to the rest when I need them.

Having STRIP on my phone means that I always have all of my passwords with me, but don't have to worry about them falling into the wrong hands.

But, there's no Pre version of STRIP right now, and nothing I could find on Zetetic's or Identicentric's web sites about a new version for the Pre on the horizon. If Palm would finally release the SDK for the Pre, then I suppose I could work on porting it myself (it is GPL'ed, after all), but I suspect that it won't be too trivial to move from the current code base to the Javascript-based Pre application environment.

This is yet another reason why a Garnet emulator for the Pre is a MUST-HAVE before folks like me will be able to move to the Pre. We have way too much invested -- in terms of time and data -- in our old platform to be able to move to the new one.

I WANT A PRE, but I can't have one until there's a solution for accessing *all* of my data, and not just my contacts and calendar. Are you listening, Palm?

- Rick
RocketRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

SplashData seems to be prepared to launch their apps...one of which is SplashID (a password app).
BMIC50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Would Strip poker do it for you ;-)
mahootzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does anyone know if splash money will be released
dkotoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
SplashData seems to be prepared to launch their apps...one of which is SplashID (a password app).
Satisfied SplashID user here. Just wanted to point out that SplashID supports strong encryption (256-bit Blowfish).
dwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
Satisfied SplashID user here. Just wanted to point out that SplashID supports strong encryption (256-bit Blowfish).
A few minor things to point out:
  • I have lots of existing data in STRIP already.
  • There's no export function (yet!) for STRIP (although one is apparently in the works).
  • SplashID costs money (not much, admittedly, but it's still an added expense).
  • STRIP supports strong (256-bit AES) encryption, too.

So, moving to SplashID isn't a slam-dunk. Does it have an import function, if I can get my STRIP data exported?

- Rick
RocketRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
So, moving to SplashID isn't a slam-dunk. Does it have an import function, if I can get my STRIP data exported?

- Rick
You can import in CSV.
dwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello. I use STRIP too. Love it.
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

STRIP isnt free, either. And I doubt that if the programmer/company updates it for the webOS, they will not charge a fee. But since SplashData is already on board, we can pretty much count on their suite of products being offered.

SplashID's interface looks WAY more modern. I have used SplashID for years now, and I am a happy customer. SplashData is also working on a 'cloud' service...which I am still deciding if the security risk is worth the convenience.
BMIC50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0