webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm Pre Newsreader
Palm Pre Newsreader

Old 01/21/2009, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm new here and my only Palm device was a Pilot. I got my first smartphone when the BB Curve came out a year ago.

My most used app is Freerange, a BB newsreader. Viigo is the current hot reader for BB, but I prefer Freerange for its simplicity and customization.

What is your favorite newsreader for Palm devices, and do you think they will create a version for webos? Are there other contenders?

I expect the browsing experience will be great on the Pre, but nothing beats a fast, simple to navigate reader imho.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Newsreader, meaning RSS? If worse comes to worst, then you could use the Google Reader site within the browser. I'm sure that there will be a native app at one point, but I'd think that'd be a good holdover.

If by Newsreader you mean Usenet, I highly doubt that's going to come.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

I can see it now... Grabit for the PRE. bahahahaha.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree, RSS readers really allows staying up to date on news very convenient, especially when out of coverage and having all that news with you to read.

My fav:
Palm OS: Standalone's Quick News
Windows Mobile: Iliumsoft's Newsbreak
WebOS: We'll have to wait to see, of course. There's already web-based rss readers like Bloglines, News Is Free, and Google's Reader on the desktop, so it's nothing new, and therefore very much possible for developers to create such an application.

btw, the pre will retail for $299.99

Last edited by opacityzero; 01/29/2009 at 06:46 PM.
opacityzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry yes RSS. I'll have to play with Google Reader on my BB. Freerange allows it to be integrated. The browser on Freerange is very fast. Thanks for the links opacityzero.

Last edited by galavanter; 01/21/2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01/21/2009, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

With webOS, 3rd party apps really depend on how popular the Pre gets. It seems like it can potentially be just as popular if not more so than the iPhone, so potentially all the developers for the iPhone will port their apps over to the Pre.
schnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I sure hope so. A real beauty for the BB and iPhone is AP Mobile News Reader. They have news articles of course, but the AP photos are just stunning. On the BB, while viewing a photo, a press of the trackball brings up a white translucent caption, another press makes it disappear again. A sideways swoosh of the trackball goes to the next photo. Very well done, and the Pre's gesture bar would work great with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
With webOS, 3rd party apps really depend on how popular the Pre gets. It seems like it can potentially be just as popular if not more so than the iPhone, so potentially all the developers for the iPhone will port their apps over to the Pre.
Old 01/22/2009, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Resco Neeews for Palm OS. I love it.
Old 01/22/2009, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I alos love Resco Neeews, I really hope they port over all their programs, they are from the best developers for Palm.
mahootzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2009, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Newsreader, meaning RSS? If worse comes to worst, then you could use the Google Reader site within the browser. I'm sure that there will be a native app at one point, but I'd think that'd be a good holdover.

If by Newsreader you mean Usenet, I highly doubt that's going to come.
I suppose I'm dating myself to admit that Usenet was the first thing I thought of. OTOH, doesn't Google still have their Groups functionality? Sure they're still leveraging that DejaNews buyout, no doubt.
Old 01/22/2009, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would love to see a Google Reader App for webOS. But if not, you can just use the browser.
BMIC50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0