webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Music Player
Music Player

Old 01/11/2009, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

How much is known about the Pre's Music player? How would one sync a music library, kept or obtained on a lap top, with the Pre?
eekinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Basically, when you plug the Pre into your PC, it shows up as a drive. You can either drag and drop files into the folder, or some players such as Windows Media Player support syncing audio files to a generic device.

Its known that it supports only the following formats as well (taken from the Palm Pre page):

Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would assume it's also possible for the music software to make the phone appear as a "generic media device" to your computer, letting you manage songs and playlists using what's called the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). That's what PocketTunes does for the Treo/Centro phones.

Works like a champ. When I connect my Centro via USB, it gets recognized as a phone, and starts charging. Fire up PocketTunes, and it suddenly gets seen as a media device.
EdCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Basically, when you plug the Pre into your PC, it shows up as a drive. You can either drag and drop files into the folder, or some players such as Windows Media Player support syncing audio files to a generic device.

Its known that it supports only the following formats as well (taken from the Palm Pre page):

Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV

Got to be honest here, this is kind of weak. If I purchase a song directly on the device from Amazon (like one of the videos show), I need to manually drag this file to my computer from the device when I connect via usb to get it to my computer?
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2009, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally posted by mobileman:
Quote:
. . .Got to be honest here, this is kind of weak. If I purchase a song directly on the device from Amazon (like one of the videos show), I need to manually drag this file to my computer from the device when I connect via usb to get it to my computer?
I have to be honest with you, I can't think of any device that when you download it it shares it with another device by osmosis. If you download it to your computer, you have connect your iPod, mp3 player, Treo or whatever you use to get it on your mobile device or stream it to your mobile device and leave it on the computer. However if you download it to your mobile device, you have to use your mobile device like an external drive or you have to send it (drag, bluetooth, etc) to your PC.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0