webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Question about applications
Question about applications

Old 01/11/2009, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello,

I've read most of the threads in this forum as I am trying to decide whether my next phone will be the Sprint Android phone or the Sprint Palm Pre.

I'm a little confused about how WebOS applications will work. Will all apps be web apps similar to how webapps for the Iphone are as found here:

http://www.apple.com/webapps/

or will there be "normal" applications that we will be able to download OTA? Will an application like Splashmoney (or a similar personal finance application) be able to be developed for the new OS?

**Edit**
Just read this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175288 and I think I'm more confused now.

Last edited by BGRO; 01/11/2009 at 10:17 PM.
BGRO#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGRO View Post
Hello,

I've read most of the threads in this forum as I am trying to decide whether my next phone will be the Sprint Android phone or the Sprint Palm Pre.

I'm a little confused about how WebOS applications will work. Will all apps be web apps similar to how webapps for the Iphone are as found here:

or will there be "normal" applications that we will be able to download OTA? Will an application like Splashmoney (or a similar personal finance application) be able to be developed for the new OS?
They're sort of like the iPhone webapps, except more fully realized. Before software 2.0, when the iPhone only had webapps, they wanted you to open up a window of Safari and browse to a site to use the application there. An example of this would be going to Google Maps by opening up Safari and typing in maps.google.com, rather than tapping on the application in the launcher. In addition to being in a window of the browser, and requiring internet access, they also had pretty much no idea of the system they were running on. Sure, they were iPhone optimized but couldn't access notifications or anything like that.

Instead, the Pre's webapps are stored locally on the device, have their own icon in the application launcher, and can use all of the system features, including GPS, notifications, audio, etc.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello,

A program like SplashMoney would be easy to develop. FYI SplashData is a partner so I'm guessing it's already in the works.

The way it's been presented is that the apps initially can pretty much do what any web page can do. Will it be able to handle intensive 3d graphics, probably not. For this they are eventually going to have to allow access to the actual system and use real programming languages.

So what can these web apps do. Anything that manipulates texts and low end graphics. This includes 2D games, IRC, SSH, telnet, ftp, word processing, spreadsheets.

Palm's WebOS is slightly limited by the scripting languages it supports. Unfortuantely they currently aren't allowing the creation of compiled executables for the OS which would allow for higher end programs.
Old 01/11/2009, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
They're sort of like the iPhone webapps, except more fully realized. Before software 2.0, when the iPhone only had webapps, they wanted you to open up a window of Safari and browse to a site to use the application there. An example of this would be going to Google Maps by opening up Safari and typing in maps.google.com, rather than tapping on the application in the launcher. In addition to being in a window of the browser, and requiring internet access, they also had pretty much no idea of the system they were running on. Sure, they were iPhone optimized but couldn't access notifications or anything like that.

Instead, the Pre's webapps are stored locally on the device, have their own icon in the application launcher, and can use all of the system features, including GPS, notifications, audio, etc.
Thanks for the explanations. So lets say a webapp like Splashmoney is developed which would not require data to use most functions. We would still be able to use this web app on the device (because it is stored locally) if we did not have a cell phone signal correct?
BGRO#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2009, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the explanations. So lets say a webapp like Splashmoney is developed which would not require data to use most functions. We would still be able to use this web app on the device (because it is stored locally) if we did not have a cell phone signal correct?
Assuming that Splashmoney was written to pull the information off the web and store it on your device, which is how the built-in applications will work then yes, it'd still work on your device when you don't have signal. (That is, if you're using it to download your online banking.)

But the application itself will always be on your device. Basically if and when SplashMoney is made, it'd probably make a database on the Pre that you could fill in your register info on yourself if that's how you do things, or it would automatically download the info from your bank (aka the cloud) when you were in cell service, and otherwise you'd have a locally cached version of the cloud data just like the built-in apps.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0