webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > For Those Concerned About Applications
For Those Concerned About Applications

Old 01/11/2009, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

I was at first concerned about all the applications I now use on my Centro. But I now believe these concerns will quickly go away.

Slingplayer : It is possible that the new web version of Sling will work on this device without a software version.

Quicken : I could see a Pocket Quicken conduit (stand alone) to sync with Quicken. I could also see software like Quicken use a web application to enter your entries and that would sync with your desktop.

Kinoma : There is already moodio to listen to internet radio stations.

Documents To Go : Blackberry version does not sync with the desktop like Palm but you can use the Blackberry as a mass storage device and transfer data between your computer and desktop. Also there could be a conduit.

I have read many articles about desktop software going away and being replaced with web versions. This operating system and phone will put Palm at the forefront of this technology. It is scary to think about change sometimes. We all get use to doing things a certain way and think that nothing could be better. Think about the Christmas commercials for the car that shows the kid with the big wheel and him saying nothing could top that. Then he sees the new car. This is our new car and we will just have to learn how to drive it.
Powerpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, there are plenty of applications that I'm worried about. Call Block is one of the best things on my 680 and I couldn't get a phone that it wouldn't work on! Planetarium is another great Palm OS program, as is Tube. I will assume that Worldmate and apps like that will be written for the WebOS. But what about great programs like Flight Status? Dataviewer, which lists all area codes in the country? And it doesn't appear that, without a card slot, NV backup, a great program, will be available. These things worry me. If there's a workaround for these, let me know. Of course, Chattermail is the best, and we'll have to see if the new e-mail program resembles Chatter, as Marc had a major hand in it.
Andrew-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

There better be a twitter app. It's driving me crazy already... every other phone has a twitter app...
'95 - Sony Magic Link '98 - Sony CM-B1201 '99 - Sanyo SCP-3000 '00 - Sprint PCS Touchpoint '00 - Palm IIIc '01 - Sanyo SCP 6200 '02 - Hitachi P300 '03 - Kyocera 6035 '05 - Treo 650 '06 - Treo 700p '08 - Treo 755p
chymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
Well, there are plenty of applications that I'm worried about. Call Block is one of the best things on my 680 and I couldn't get a phone that it wouldn't work on! Planetarium is another great Palm OS program, as is Tube. I will assume that Worldmate and apps like that will be written for the WebOS. But what about great programs like Flight Status? Dataviewer, which lists all area codes in the country? And it doesn't appear that, without a card slot, NV backup, a great program, will be available. These things worry me. If there's a workaround for these, let me know. Of course, Chattermail is the best, and we'll have to see if the new e-mail program resembles Chatter, as Marc had a major hand in it.
I've said this a few times, but I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with Chatter on the Pre. Now, I had a Treo 600, a 700p, and a 755p, and yes, Chatter was the best email client out there. But the majority of Chatter's features were simply workarounds for Garnet's limitations.

Let me list off a few features it had that made it so special on Garnet:

Background downloading with a great notification system: Pre has it built in
A view which shows all inboxes consolidated into one: Pre has it built in
Attachment support: Pre has it built in

There's only two features that we don't have any idea about as of yet, and those are IMAP Idle support, and also Chatter had a really neat workaround for Exchange that from what I understand, parsed the Outlook Web Access login somehow to give full exchange email support from that, even if your company hasn't given you access to Over-the-Air Exchange support (my company at the time required VPN for Exchange access.)

The former at least, you don't really need Marc to implement, there are many different programmers who can work with a standard like that if Palm chooses to implement it; regardless of whether Marc was still there or not, it wouldn't be his choice to implement it or not, it'd be Palm's. The latter I don't know very much about how it worked, only that it did, but that's one I don't see happening on anything but Chatter. Besides that, it sort of has a limited use, I don't think very many Chatter users even downloaded the Exchange plugins.

It was a great app, but it's simply not necessary on the Pre.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0