webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Incoming call screen & camera app (video)
Incoming call screen & camera app (video)

Old 01/11/2009, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

I don't think we've seen yet what happens when a call come in, and its in this video at 1:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM

Also seen is the camera application which hasn't been showed before either.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

wow it's totally unobstrusive. even with a phone call. that's awesome.
Old 01/11/2009, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, there's still a decent amount of camera lag.

(One of the huge things I hate about my Centro, and makes the camera much, much less useful.)
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting that it initially displays a number, then changes to 'Blocked number'. There's no option for refuse call w/ text - because it's a blocked number or because it's not a feature?
ZenithNadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

ZenithNadir: It's the same number as last time, so it's not clearing the last notification from the phone until it shows the new notification.
Old 01/11/2009, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also another video that shows the Amazon store (2:15):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcuG-eG0Gs8

Also more camera use (still lags, but still tons of time for optimization): (1:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuWOH2oM6PQ
Old 01/11/2009, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

it doesn't surprise me that the camera lags. Most "low end" digital cameras do. And I'm sorry any camera on a phone is "low end"
Old 01/11/2009, 01:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is true, and some lag is perfectly acceptable.

The amount of lag I'm talking about... not so much. I just took a video comparing the speed of my old Sanyo MM-8300 to my Centro, and am uploading it to YouTube...

I'll note that the MM-8300 captures the picture as soon as the screen goes black, is processing it while it's black, and saves it once it displays.

The Centro captures it when it comes BACK from being black, and doesn't automatically save.

Edit: Once it's processed... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt7fBktMd0s

Remember that, while both screens are black for about the same amount of time, the Sanyo's got the picture taken pretty quickly, it's just gotta figure out what to do with it.

Edit 2: And comparing my Centro to the Pre, the lag seems to be similar. Which... is almost unacceptable.

Last edited by bhtooefr; 01/11/2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01/11/2009, 04:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
Interesting that it initially displays a number, then changes to 'Blocked number'. There's no option for refuse call w/ text - because it's a blocked number or because it's not a feature?
I'm not sure if it changed it to blocked number, or if the caller blocked their number.

And I think refusing w/text is not a feature, at least not from what the video shows.
davidg4781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

davidg4781: I don't believe it's possible to block your number once you've initiated the call...
Old 01/11/2009, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
davidg4781: I don't believe it's possible to block your number once you've initiated the call...
Ohhh, I had seen the video earlier that day. I remember he got 2 calls, one had a number, and I thought the second one said blocked. I didn't know it showed the number, then switched to blocked (if it does, I'm still haven't watched it again).

That's what I get for posting when I should have been asleep hours before.
Old 01/11/2009, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Right, but the number it showed was leftover from the last call.

Which means they're not clearing that text field when the alert is dismissed, which could be argued is a slight bug.
Old 01/11/2009, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

no ignore with text

also every contact had a picture with it...anyone else think it can automatically take a contact from facebook and make their facebook pic their picture. I am a little worried about this facebook->contact thing. I have a lot of friends on facebook that I don't want in my contacts, there better be a way to limit it.
sub150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2009, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
no ignore with text

also every contact had a picture with it...anyone else think it can automatically take a contact from facebook and make their facebook pic their picture. I am a little worried about this facebook->contact thing. I have a lot of friends on facebook that I don't want in my contacts, there better be a way to limit it.
For the first part, yes, they've said it does take the facebook picture and put it as their contact picture. As for the second part, its a concern of mine as well. There should be a setting to only pull Facebook data down for contacts you already have or something.
Old 01/12/2009, 12:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

I'm thinking it might link Facebook data to the profile that's already on the device, either from your input, Outlook, or Gmail. I can't imagine having Facebook as a primary source, since a lot of people keep their numbers and email private, even from friends.

It would be good if someone changed a cell and it was available, you would get that information quickly. You would also have an up to date photo to have in your contacts.
Old 01/12/2009, 01:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Originally posted by davidg4781
Quote:
. . .It would be good if someone changed a cell and it was available, you would get that information quickly. You would also have an up to date photo to have in your contacts...
That's what Plaxo is for and it also goes the extra step of updating your Outlook so you don't have to. Everyone updates their own data and if you're on the connect list, you automatically get the updates. I wish Pre would work something out w/ Plaxo. It already has the pictures and has everyone update their own information.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2009, 10:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
it doesn't surprise me that the camera lags. Most "low end" digital cameras do. And I'm sorry any camera on a phone is "low end"
I gotta agree. I get a chuckle every time someone complains about a cell phone camera. Digital image quality is all about the size of the sensor and the quality of the glass. Cell phone cameras have the tiniest sensor known to man. I dont care how many mega pixals you cram on it, the image will always be sub par compared to even the worst digital camera. The glass is also terrible because the of the cover over the lens has to be scratch resistant which really messes with image quality.

When history looks back at this time, there will be tons of crappy images representing this period. People will say "oh yeah, that was when people used their phones as cameras."

Personally I wish they would do away with cameras on phones. They really give digital photography a bad name.
Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2009, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not complaining about the sensor or glass, I'm complaining about the almost unusably slow shutter lag, as compared to other camera phones.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0