webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > App store, games, music....missing revenue streams?
App store, games, music....missing revenue streams?

Old 01/10/2009, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm curious if Palm will be able to capitalize on any of the same revenue streams as Apple does.

1. Apps store.

Will they charge a fee or commision for apps?

2. Games.

Some have suggested that the iphone and ipod touch are the new mobile gaming platforms that will eventually win over the NintendoDS and PSP. Their big advantage is the way they deliver games, inexpensively and instantly and how easy it is to keep and organize games.

Palm could take advantage of the same thing and actually might have an advantage with its real keyboard and gesture area. However, developers will need access to more than just the WebOS. Perhaps Palm should consider this type of support with one of their follow-up devices?

3. Music and video.

Doesn't look like Palm is getting any money there.

Last edited by Disaster; 01/10/2009 at 07:48 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2009, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:

3. Music and video.

They are partnered with Amazon, there is a music store app on the device - when you do a search on the device, for say "Britney spears", it will offer the amazon store as an option for results. You then go on-line and buy the song. I would think that Palm gets a cut from that.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2009, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
I'm curious if Palm will be able to capitalize on any of the same revenue streams as Apple does.

1. Apps store.

Will they charge a fee or commision for apps?

2. Games.

Some have suggested that the iphone and ipod touch are the new mobile gaming platforms that will eventually win over the NintendoDS and PSP. Their big advantage is the way they deliver games, inexpensively and instantly and how easy it is to keep and organize games.

Palm could take advantage of the same thing and actually might have an advantage with its real keyboard and gesture area. However, developers will need access to more than just the WebOS. Perhaps Palm should consider this type of support with one of their follow-up devices?

3. Music and video.

What most don't realize is that most of the gaming on the iPod Touch is boring and boring. The lack of hard buttons makes gaming on touch phones mundane.
An iPod Touch is NEVER going to dethrone the PSP or the almighty Nintendo DS/DSi as the handheld gaming-du-jour of the masses.

So my 7, 8 or 9 year old niece/nephew wants their fix of Mario Kart or NintenDogs or Wario and i should hurry and give them an iPod Touch instead? I doubt it. Even my older cousins who all have iPods for their music all have PSP's and DS Lites for the handheld gaming.
Old 01/10/2009, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't see games as a big priority right now for Palm. They need to get this out the door asap and make sure its stable! Remember how with the Palm OS they left it to 3rd party developers to add appls to the devices.

Last edited by miles4000; 01/10/2009 at 12:27 PM.
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0