Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First of all, I am THRILLED with the launch yesterday and will be one of the early adopters.

Since the new webOS is built upon the premise of being connected (at least most of the time), can anyone think of any drawbacks of this strategy?
    Last edited by treoKing; 01/09/2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Yes. The phone will almost useless without a dataplan. A Centro without a dataplan means no email or websurfing but it is still a useful device.

Also the web based WebOS SDK/API seems very limited to me.
    Market acceptance of new OS. Users tend to gravitate on tried and proven OS.
  4.    #4  
    I wonder if I am in an area with low signal, whether the constant attempt to connect online will drain the battery significantly? I assume that they have thought through all that and there is very minimum drain with the online autosync.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Market acceptance of new OS. Users tend to gravitate on tried and proven OS.
    This is unfounded and incorrect. Apple's iPhone single-handedly proves this to be wrong (Darwin cannot run on the iPhone chipset / processor so it's not really OS X running on the iPhone but more of a hybrid of many many things).

The G1 also proves this wrong as it's been a huge hit.

The OS on phones doesn't really matter.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Then why not just stick with PalmOS?
    This is unfounded and incorrect. Apple's iPhone single-handedly proves this to be wrong (Darwin cannot run on the iPhone chipset / processor so it's not really OS X running on the iPhone but more of a hybrid of many many things).

The G1 also proves this wrong as it's been a huge hit.

Yep, the core applications are what matter: is there a good browser? A good email client? Good calendar/contacts db?

Fortunately, Palm seems to have nailed these - the question is whether they'll actually ship in a timely fashion and sell at a competitive price.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Yes. The phone will almost useless without a dataplan. A Centro without a dataplan means no email or websurfing but it is still a useful device.

Also the web based WebOS SDK/API seems very limited to me.
    The Pre will be no more limited with out the net than a Centro. The Pre apps use web standards but they will be local apps just like the Centro.

There will likely be some confusion on this point.
    Then why not just stick with PalmOS?
    Because it's old and can't multi-task? I'm not talking about phones 5 years ago (I'm ignoring the fact that Palm is actually using that horrible OS on phones in 2009).
    Because it's old and can't multi-task? I'm not talking about phones 5 years ago (I'm ignoring the fact that Palm is actually using that horrible OS on phones in 2009).
    But you said that the OS on phones doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The Pre will be no more limited with out the net than a Centro. The Pre apps use web standards but they will be local apps just like the Centro.

There will likely be some confusion on this point.
    Not true at all. The Pre will apparantly not come with any form of Hotsync and probably no way to load apps except though an App store. The Centro without a dataplan still has all the traditional PalmOS functionality plus an integrated phone.
    OK - so if you don't use outlook or gcal, what are your options for tasks and calendar syncing?

Now I use Now Up to Date/Contact (soon to be Nighthawk) on a Centro with my Mac.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    The point is that if the OS can multi-task, has a decent browser etc who made the OS would be irrelevant. POS cannot do these things. You know the point they are trying to make..quit being an a$$
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    They don't matter [today]
    I'm still worried about the signed app thing.
    probably no way to load apps except though an App store.
    FUD because you have no idea [yet]
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    I'm still worried about the signed app thing.
    I'm sure it'll work out (even if it doesn't initially). Otherwise there's always Windows Mobile 7 (I wonder when we'll ever see that OS?).
    My next phone may well be an HTC Touch Pro.

(For that matter, it's a long story, but I may end up with one ANYWAY, even if this signed app thing isn't as big of a deal as it looks like to me. I'm freakin' sick of Garnet, and I may have the opportunity to get one free now.)
    FUD because you have no idea [yet]
    From Stephane Maes

"You know, we've had trouble in the past with Palm OS applications that don't behave well, and they crash the device, and people call in support, and they can't figure out what's wrong, and we can't figure out what's wrong, and it's some app that wasn't developed properly. So, we still intend to have a very open platform, but the one thing that we want to make sure, is that those apps were developed properly, and they're signed, and they go through our app store, um, that they work."
    The bottom line NO. While the WEB OS is designed to utilize the internet for data streaming there is a huge amount of memory on the device for local apps. All of the local apps including phone, contacts, music are web based apps running on the phone itself. The device acts as its own webserver allowing apps to be stored and run locally. With 8 GB of memory I am sure there is plenty of room for local apps.

Another thing that makes this interesting is if each phone is its own mini webserver could it be leveraged to broadcast out as well as to itself. Multiplayer games? clientless chat programs? Device to Device walkie talkie? The sky is the limit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast