webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Signed apps
Signed apps

Old 01/09/2009, 10:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
You're making assumptions with no basis. She said thatI fail to see how anyone thinking clearly could deduce that Palm is requiring all applications to be signed and have to go through their application store.
Just by reading the bits of her statement you didn't highlight.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2009, 11:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

I give up; think what you want. You're dissecting a statement made by someone who is just showing it off and all of the details are not finalized. To make any assumptions or to try and find "new" details in their words is dumb as you won't know until the details are released.

And for the record, if you read her entire sentence she says that they want to make sure that those applications work from their application store. My entire point was that this is not proof that all applications will need to be signed or if a mixture can co-exist. You're getting pissed off for absolutely no reason because you do not know how applications will be treated.
Kasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2009, 11:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

There's also the undisputable fact that, if I'm wrong, this has no effect.

If I'm right, backlash may change Palm's mind on the subject.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2009, 11:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
I give up; think what you want. You're dissecting a statement made by someone who is just showing it off and all of the details are not finalized. To make any assumptions or to try and find "new" details in their words is dumb as you won't know until the details are released.

And for the record, if you read her entire sentence she says that they want to make sure that those applications work from their application store. My entire point was that this is not proof that all applications will need to be signed or if a mixture can co-exist. You're getting pissed off for absolutely no reason because you do not know how applications will be treated.
I am not making any assumptions, merely reading what was written. I am not sure it is that important though. I think the AJAX development model is going to be a much bigger limitation in attracting 3rd party app support.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2009, 04:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

http://arstechnica.com/journals/hard...e-pre-ces-2009

If you read the article on ARS, the Palm engineer said apps on their store will need to be signed, but intimates that there will be other way to get and install apps. It seems that Palm is NOT going to require all apps to be signed, or to be sold through the store. They very much want to be the anti-Apple.

But the real key here is that it doesn't matter what Palm says or does. Some people are going to whine and complain because it isn't 100% what they wanted / expected.
Old 01/10/2009, 07:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb
It seems that Palm is NOT going to require all apps to be signed, or to be sold through the store.
If this is true, and Sprint will allow existing plans to use the Pre, well, I think Palm may have just sold me a phone.
Old 01/10/2009, 08:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
I think this deserves its own thread.

From this video hands-on and Q&A, Stephane Maes said:

Palm, don't do this to me.

I've been a fan of Palm OS for several years now, I own four Palm OS devices (and actively use two of them - an original Centro (on Sprint,) and an Abacus Wrist PDA.)

You impressed me with the user interface and design of the Pre. (Not so much the name, but... I can deal with the name.)

Don't blow it all by requiring that all apps be signed.

Right now, for full API access, only two smartphone operating systems available on a standard current production phone allow unsigned apps - Windows Mobile, and Garnet. AFAICT, everything else has either restrictions on how much of the API can be accessed by an unsigned app (BlackBerry,) or is completely closed to unsigned apps (everything else.) Yes, I know about the Google Dev Phone, which is why I said standard, the Dev Phone is a limited release model for developers, IIRC. And I don't want to beta test Android, anyway.

I don't have any problem with popping up a dialog saying that this app isn't signed, and it's not Palm or Sprint's fault if the phone crashes, or whatever. (HINT, HINT. That's what my J2ME phone did if I installed an unsigned app, and that's good behavior.)

I do have a problem with blocking unsigned apps.

That's all.
Having been part of the BlackBerry community for a while now, I can tell you that many people that switch from Palm to BlackBerry, are users who got sick of their Treo rebooting and acting unstable. I'd imagine much of those problems were caused by lousy software programs.

Part of the benefit to owning a Palm over the years, has also become one of the downfalls- in that there is tons of software available for the Palm, but a lot of it is pure junk.
MisterB#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2009, 08:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

But I'd still like the option. For that matter, if unsigned apps are running on a phone, don't give support for stability issues until they're removed, but at least let them run.
Old 01/10/2009, 08:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

lets just hope if a app crashes in Web os it doesn't bring the whole o/s down with it... one thing I've noticed since switching to wm is, if I load a unstable program, or screw up a registry edit is that, only the program crashes and not the whole o/s... random resets, and reset loops really sucked in garnet...
Old 01/10/2009, 08:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

Well, it depends on how webOS is setup. I suspect it'll be very hard to crash the kernel, but it could be very easy to crash the webOS environment if it was set up wrong.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0