Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    If you're like me and you use the HP webOS emulator you've likely had the problem with the emulator being super sluggish. Even just moving the emulator window around stutters. Now my PC is by no means poochy. I have an 8core cpu running at 4.6Ghz with 32GB of 2100 DDR memory with everything running from a super speedy SSD. I normally use VMWare workstation pro with 3 to 5 Full VM's (both windows and linux) running on top of several platform dev ide's (Including Visual Studio). I've never had an issue but for some reason webOS is more demanding than that? Heres a list of the main problems I faced.

1. Emulator window stutters when moved around. Its worse when moving from one monitor to another.
    2. webOS running in the emulator is so slow you cant use it. Trying to "swipe" away a card sometimes takes "minutes" and dozens of attempts.
    3. webOS animations are completely unviewable for the above reasons. For example the logo glow on boot starts then ends with a giant pause in between. This sucks for testing if your app uses animations.

However we can fix all of that. We just upgrade VirtualBox to the latest version (5.1 at the time of this write up). Now you might be wondering how we can do that. Running the emulator from the palm-emulator.bat file will complain if the installed version is not between 3.0 and 4.1 Its simple here's how.

1. Install VirtualBox 4.1 This allows us to run the palm-emulator.bat file.
    2. Run the batch file located in the program files folder (Full path for me is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP webOS\SDK\bin\palm-emulator.bat").
    3. In the list of items that pops up go ahead and select the version/model you want. For me I select all of them (one at a time of course) because I test on multiple devices and versions.
    4. The batch file will create the virtual machine and it will be stored in your virtual machine location which is in your user folder by default.
    5. After you've created all the virtual machines you want simply uninstall VirtualBox. REBOOT!! Foor windows machines this is a must even if VBox does not tell you to do it anyway. There is a virtual box com object that will be active (we did just use it after all).
    6. Once your PC is booted back up Install the new version of Virtual Box. REBOOT!! Im not kidding I went through this process 4 times because it never tells you to reboot but you MUST!
    7. Now with the new Virtual Box installed it should load up the vm list and you're ready to go. The last step now is to backup the VM's so the next time all you need to do is install the current Virtual Box and simply restore the VM's.

Now the webOS on your emulator is just as fast and smooth as on the device itself. Scrolling and animations work just as expected.

Untitled.jpg
    There might be an easier way: VirtualBox 4.2, HP webOS 3.0.5 SDK Patch

I haven't used this myself for quite some time, but used to work back in the day
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    There might be an easier way: VirtualBox 4.2, HP webOS 3.0.5 SDK Patch

I haven't used this myself for quite some time, but used to work back in the day
    No idea how I missed that thread. I scoured looking for fixing the emulator not updating it lol. The reason I went that way is because I offload my VM's for storage and run them from there so i only need create them once and it all survives a format etc...
    However I now have another file to add to my webOS directory.
    I forgot about that.. might be easier when I set up a new PC than remembering where I stuck those pre-made emulator images they made available later on..
    if by images is what I think, I probably have them all ( but they require anyway you to first install the sdk )