Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Nafetz
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By ami mizuno
  1.    #1  
    So getting started with WebOS dev I decided to follow the steps in the SDK docs and use Eclipse as the editor. All the links for the plugin however are dead does someone have a copy of the file or a working link to one?
    I may have it laying around somewhere, but I haven't used it in years. It seems like the plugin was not getting updated in later SDK versions. I got tired of messing with it and just used the command-line. I do sometimes use Eclipse for the JavaScript development, but mostly use Notepad++.
    ami mizuno likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I may have it laying around somewhere, but I haven't used it in years. It seems like the plugin was not getting updated in later SDK versions. I got tired of messing with it and just used the command-line. I do sometimes use Eclipse for the JavaScript development, but mostly use Notepad++.
    If you have it that would be great. Most likely I'll do the same thing eventually. Right now things like the projects dir structure etc.. is my main concern. Since im new to the platform (and kinda new to the language as well) I was hoping to find something that could streamline some of it a bit until i break my bones on it.

A lot of it seems confusing. I was looking in patches (trying to update some of the ones that arent in preware to work for 2.2.4) and i see stuff like -num,num @ +num,num etc.. The numbers appear random and so on. I've looked at the tutorial for getting started about creating the json file and so on but ive looked at so much stuff in the last week that i know its there i just havent categorized it yet lol.

I havent looked yet but im assuming eclipse, like most editors, has a custom tools section where you can add cmd line tools which is probably what ill do (provided it has that).
    Ugh.. my portable hard drive with all of my webOS stuff on it is acting up.. this would be a major blow to the stuff I've developed and otherwise worked on.. not thrilled at the thought of rebuilding that archive.. I'll keep looking, but I know I did a lot of consolidation at one time and don't remember if I kept another backup of the SDK stuff..
  5.    #5  
    Ugh.. my portable hard drive with all of my webOS stuff on it is acting up.. this would be a major blow to the stuff I've developed and otherwise worked on.. not thrilled at the thought of rebuilding that archive.. I'll keep looking, but I know I did a lot of consolidation at one time and don't remember if I kept another backup of the SDK stuff..
    you probably already know this but if you boot up into a dos env you can use xcopy and copy the entire drive. it seems to work really well for drives near failing (obviously not ones already dead lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by ami mizuno View Post
    you probably already know this but if you boot up into a dos env you can use xcopy and copy the entire drive. it seems to work really well for drives near failing (obviously not ones already dead lol).
    Unfortunately, it isn't getting a drive letter assigned, and the disk manager hangs trying to read it. I am not encouraged. It shows in the device manager and no problems reported there, so it seems like a physical drive problem. If I can't coax it into working, I may have to crack it open.

I may have found a copy of the Eclipse plugin, though in this format I'm not sure how to install it. I'll see if the zip file is too large to attach here or not.. if it is I'll throw it on my website and post a link. yup, too big. http://fordmaverick.com/webos/sdk/Ec...-hud16-636.zip

That is from the 3.0RC SDK, which is the newest version I was able to find. The zip looks like it would get extracted somewhere in the Eclipse directory structure.. It has been so long since I used it, and probably did not install it manually, so that's about all the help I can offer right now.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/28/2017 at 12:40 AM.
    ami mizuno likes this.
    Hi,

I have a copy of Aptana_Studio_3_Setup_3.0.9.exe. When I open Eclipse -> Help -> About Eclipse and click on the Aptana icon it shows version 3.4.2. And Github is offering Aptana_Studio_3_Setup_3.6.1.exe
    https://github.com/aptana/studio3/releases/

(Hope you can get all your data back, Matt)
    ami mizuno likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Unfortunately, it isn't getting a drive letter assigned, and the disk manager hangs trying to read it. I am not encouraged. It shows in the device manager and no problems reported there, so it seems like a physical drive problem. If I can't coax it into working, I may have to crack it open.

I may have found a copy of the Eclipse plugin, though in this format I'm not sure how to install it. I'll see if the zip file is too large to attach here or not.. if it is I'll throw it on my website and post a link. yup, too big. http://fordmaverick.com/webos/sdk/Ec...-hud16-636.zip

That is from the 3.0RC SDK, which is the newest version I was able to find. The zip looks like it would get extracted somewhere in the Eclipse directory structure.. It has been so long since I used it, and probably did not install it manually, so that's about all the help I can offer right now.
    Ok First stop and freeze it. place it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. if disk manager can see it then so can acronis. boot from the recovery disc and select partition view. then make a backup of it. freezing it may make it viewable in computer (drive letter assigned) again but not for very long. maybe long enough to rip it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Hi,

I have a copy of Aptana_Studio_3_Setup_3.0.9.exe. When I open Eclipse -> Help -> About Eclipse and click on the Aptana icon it shows version 3.4.2. And Github is offering Aptana_Studio_3_Setup_3.6.1.exe
    https://github.com/aptana/studio3/releases/

(Hope you can get all your data back, Matt)
    sweet that was my next challenge getting aptana. from the link im not sure which one i need to snag as i dont need the studio itself but the eclipse plugin or are you saying thats what that is?
    I'm sorry - I can't remember exactly, how I got Aptana into Eclipse

About one hour after the download of the Aptana Studio in 2012 I stored a documentation to my disk. That might be the way I installed Aptana:
    Aptana_Download.png
    I have no idea how this can be done in 2017...

Maybe this way? https://web.archive.org/web/20120509...plugin/install
    There is a redirection to a cloudfront.net pagewhere you'll find another link to another cloudfront page. Finally you'll find a zip file on June 18th, 2013.
    The files in there are similar to the files I have in my Eclipse/plugin folder. But it doesn't contain the com.palm.... files that Matt has in his zip-File and that are also in my Eclipse/plugin folder...
    Last edited by Nafetz; 09/28/2017 at 04:50 PM.
    So getting started with WebOS dev I decided to follow the steps in the SDK docs and use Eclipse as the editor.
    I'm not much of a webOS developer, but I've done a couple of things and have followed the framework team through the 2.7 (last) Enyo release. I'll mention however that I'm pretty sure that the Eclipse stuff from Palm never progressed beyond Mojo, so I don't think you'll see any benefit to Enyo dev work. I work without any proper debugger, but since I'm not a seasoned developer I don't know what I'm missing anyway
    I use Notepad++, Scite and Nano, maybe when I switch to a machine with enough RAM I'll give Atom a whirl... I think the closest thing we have to an IDE for Enyo would be the resurrected Ares, but since it stops at Enyo 2.6 (and only reached that after I moved on to 2.7), I haven't dug into it. Maybe its the thing for you though!
    Ares-M — Enyo
    If you want to muck around in Enyo 2.7, I made some posts about using it for webOS dev:
    Warning, noob alert!
    ami mizuno likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    I'm not much of a webOS developer, but I've done a couple of things and have followed the framework team through the 2.7 (last) Enyo release. I'll mention however that I'm pretty sure that the Eclipse stuff from Palm never progressed beyond Mojo, so I don't think you'll see any benefit to Enyo dev work. I work without any proper debugger, but since I'm not a seasoned developer I don't know what I'm missing anyway
    I use Notepad++, Scite and Nano, maybe when I switch to a machine with enough RAM I'll give Atom a whirl... I think the closest thing we have to an IDE for Enyo would be the resurrected Ares, but since it stops at Enyo 2.6 (and only reached that after I moved on to 2.7), I haven't dug into it. Maybe its the thing for you though!
    Ares-M — Enyo
    If you want to muck around in Enyo 2.7, I made some posts about using it for webOS dev:
    Warning, noob alert!
    cool thanks for the tip. Yes you cant do enyo in the eclipse plugin. that is to say you cant use the editor to create an enyo project. however since the sdk does do enyo you can still use it as an editor (just like notepad++ etc...) Im working on mojo atm (and having a hard go of it at that). I am a fairly seasoned developer on a few platforms (mostly windows and tigcc) but stayed away from web dev so "j s" and h tml are not really my thing. (although i have dabled in it a bit).

Im definately going to look into ares however as im pretty sure ill be moving on to enyo but my primary focus is legacy webos anyway. (i know that will change once i get to LuneOS dev wich I WILL be doing).

EDIT: I just noticed the cause for the messed up post's is in using j s or h tml even as plain text.
    Ok First stop and freeze it. place it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. if disk manager can see it then so can acronis. boot from the recovery disc and select partition view. then make a backup of it. freezing it may make it viewable in computer (drive letter assigned) again but not for very long. maybe long enough to rip it.
    I haven't heard of the freezer technique, but it can't hurt to give it a try. I plugged it in earlier while I was working, and just let it sit and blink... after a while I noticed the drive letter had appeared in the Explorer view.. I could access it, but it was very slow. I coped a small (approx 1MB file) to another drive, and it reported 1KB/s transfer rate. Fast! Navigation is faster from a command prompt, so I used xcopy to copy my development folder first. Took right at 2.5 hours to copy the 311MB folder! I don't want to do the calculations for how long it would take to transfer the entire 1.5TB contents of the drive!

I don't trust that laptop not to reboot (it's my work laptop, and they like to push out updates that automatically reboot it..), so I've moved it to a desktop, and I'm still waiting for the drive letter to finally appear so I can resume copying. If it doesn't happen soon, I'll throw it in the freezer.
    ami mizuno likes this.
  14.    #14  
    I haven't heard of the freezer technique, but it can't hurt to give it a try. I plugged it in earlier while I was working, and just let it sit and blink... after a while I noticed the drive letter had appeared in the Explorer view.. I could access it, but it was very slow. I coped a small (approx 1MB file) to another drive, and it reported 1KB/s transfer rate. Fast! Navigation is faster from a command prompt, so I used xcopy to copy my development folder first. Took right at 2.5 hours to copy the 311MB folder! I don't want to do the calculations for how long it would take to transfer the entire 1.5TB contents of the drive!

I don't trust that laptop not to reboot (it's my work laptop, and they like to push out updates that automatically reboot it..), so I've moved it to a desktop, and I'm still waiting for the drive letter to finally appear so I can resume copying. If it doesn't happen soon, I'll throw it in the freezer.
    The issue is caused by a faulty controller board which is made worse by heat. Thats why you freeze it so it takes longer to heat up to the point it fails (which is actually normal temp for a working drive). I had to freeze a drive several times to get it to copy all the way going folder by folder (to avoid corruption). xcopy works on a lower level so you dont NEED a drive letter you can mount the partition (altho i think it will copy everything into a single folder and youll have too manually redo your dir structure).

However if what you're doing is working then stick at it. It may be slow but I would hate to loose it all. Also if you can use acronis true image you can mount the drive via partition that way as well (boot from the rescue cd image) and simply make an image of the entire partition.
    The issue is caused by a faulty controller board which is made worse by heat. Thats why you freeze it so it takes longer to heat up to the point it fails (which is actually normal temp for a working drive). I had to freeze a drive several times to get it to copy all the way going folder by folder (to avoid corruption). xcopy works on a lower level so you dont NEED a drive letter you can mount the partition (altho i think it will copy everything into a single folder and youll have too manually redo your dir structure).

However if what you're doing is working then stick at it. It may be slow but I would hate to loose it all. Also if you can use acronis true image you can mount the drive via partition that way as well (boot from the rescue cd image) and simply make an image of the entire partition.
    In my case I don't think it's heat, because it had been unplugged for at least a week when I first plugged it in and found it not working properly. I'll keep plugging away.. :| I've been a DOS guy for a long time, but I've never heard of being able to use xcopy without a drive letter.. Google search didn't turn anything up - do you have a link handy? I do have Acronis though. Unfortunately, I don't have a drive with enough free space to hold everything, so need to go buy one before I can attempt a full drive copy.
  16.    #16  
    In my case I don't think it's heat, because it had been unplugged for at least a week when I first plugged it in and found it not working properly. I'll keep plugging away.. :| I've been a DOS guy for a long time, but I've never heard of being able to use xcopy without a drive letter.. Google search didn't turn anything up - do you have a link handy? I do have Acronis though. Unfortunately, I don't have a drive with enough free space to hold everything, so need to go buy one before I can attempt a full drive copy.
    Its been a while since ive done it but i think you first use diskpart to mount the partition (it may be a diff tool ill look into it) at which point you can perform operations on the partition itself (using its I/O address which is what a drive letter symlink does anyway). Its how most backup software handles partition access as well. I think theres a description of the process on acronis' site but ill look. It may well be that you just have to go slow and burn a lot of dvd's lol.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    xcopy is proceeding without errors, just very slowly. At times it will have a burst of speed, but mostly it's around 20KB/s. I'm going to try a couple other methods to see if they work faster. I don't really want to wait two years for this copy to run..
    Yay, the power went out. Good thing I already plugged that PC into a UPS. Oh wait, I hadn't done that yet! I had, however, done a controlled stop of the xcopy so I could try another program, and it was still building its file list (frankly, advantage to xcopy there for just getting each directory listing as it proceeds.. Oh well, it's on the UPS now, so when the power does come back on, I can kick it off again.. Actually before I do I'm going to boot an Acronis boot disc and see if it fails to perform any better, as I anticipate. If it's Linux-based though, I can see it not working, because I can't do a clean shutdown, and gparted says the MFT and MFT mirror don't match.. no way I'm running chkdsk /f on this drive before I get my data off of it!
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/03/2017 at 12:56 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Yay, the power went out. Good thing I already plugged that PC into a UPS. Oh wait, I hadn't done that yet! I had, however, done a controlled stop of the xcopy so I could try another program, and it was still building its file list (frankly, advantage to xcopy there for just getting each directory listing as it proceeds.. Oh well, it's on the UPS now, so when the power does come back on, I can kick it off again.. Actually before I do I'm going to boot an Acronis boot disc and see if it fails to perform any better, as I anticipate. If it's Linux-based though, I can see it not working, because I can't do a clean shutdown, and gparted says the MFT and MFT mirror don't match.. no way I'm running chkdsk /f on this drive before I get my data off of it!
    Its likely no matter what you do it will transfer slowly. Since the drive is dying. Low level access like xcopy or acronis partition backup will be the fastest methods but nowhere near that of a working drive.

lol@2 years. Yeah i dont think id wait that long either. As an aside I have a slew of 80-100GB laptop drives laying in my parts box. If you have a drive enclosure they make great backup drives. You're more thank welcome to a few of them if you want. Let me know.