Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mazzinia
  1.    #1  
    This thread is to discuss options for an automated or semi-automated back up system to replace the system that used to back up the Palm profile to the servers.

The current hope is for a system that:
    1. Synchronises data on the device to another device or server controlled by the user, either over a wire, WLAN or remotely.
    2. Collates data automatically in preparation for synchronisation.
    3. Collects the same data as the old Palm profile (or more)

There are tips for manual back up here. Possibly some of these processes can be used for an automated system. Possibly the back up code in webOS can be modified to back up to a user defined destination.

Anyone with knowledge of Legacy webOS or other relevant code is invited to post suggestions for building this system.
    https://www.urbackup.org/

maybe this is worth checking. Aside source code, there's a premade client for armv6+
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Maybe when built it should be more of a service that allows choice as to where to backup/sync to, such as allowing to backup to google or dropbox or network drive or somesuch.
    I really feel like if this was ever going to happen, it would have happened already, while the sharp minds of webOS Internals were still making amazing things happen on our devices. Even the manual full backup stuff was noted as not reliable.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I really feel like if this was ever going to happen, it would have happened already, while the sharp minds of webOS Internals were still making amazing things happen on our devices. Even the manual full backup stuff was noted as not reliable.
    I'm not sure what "manual full backup" means. I think the tips in the backup thread cover almost everything and I think they all work. Are you referring to that or to the original backup app?

It is a bit of a stretch to make a back up system, which is why the word, 'hope' is used above. There is no plan to replace or reinstate backup as it was. It may not even be possible. I think at minimum we are looking at a way to sync a folder of backup files to a user's computer. Possibly multiple system folders containing relevant data could be done. Alternatively, there maybe a way to 'autorun' the various back up apps or perhaps create a single app that performs the various processes, then use a sync app.

The ultimate goal is to have something like PalmOS Hotsync because no one want's to offer or take responsibility for a backup server and this allows the user to control their own data. There's nothing to prevent people using cloud services and possibly some of the sync options might allow that.
    that program I mentioned is tailored at making live real backups , incremental etc, and allows bare metal restore in case of issues.
    I think something like that it's the best bet we can have