Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By allen832008
  • 2 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  1.    #1  
    I recently published a new editorial on LG making a move towards a webOS smartphone: https://yourtechexplained.com/2017/0...ld-with-webos/.

I 'd like to get a couple of real reactions:

1. Would you buy a webOS LG phone?
    2. Do you think "normal" consumers would find it appealing?
    3. Do you think LG has the guts or vision to actually do it?

I've been thinking about it a lot as of late as Android becomes more and more crowded in the space with only a few players actually making big time money doing it. Let me know what you think!
    hfGermany likes this.
    I'd buy a webOS from LG if:
    It was hackable like legacy webOS.
    Preferably with a hardware keyboard....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    allen832008 and hfGermany like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Slider for life or Pixi style? Also, agree with the tweaks and hacks. Most easily customizable OS ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by allen832008 View Post
    1. Would you buy a webOS LG phone?
    2. Do you think "normal" consumers would find it appealing?
    3. Do you think LG has the guts or vision to actually do it?
    1. bbito says it:
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Or if current devices expire, I would consider a 'walled-garden' LG webOS phone over iOS or Android if it was as good as legacy stuff, but I'd also consider other OSes. I am assuming I'd move to LuneOS, but if it's not ready, maybe something similar.

2. Maybe, but iOS / Android are very entrenched with rich eco-systems. While LG are stuck as an 'also-ran' Android device maker, they would probably lose more on a webOS phone. They might have a chance if they build out from TVs & smart home tech - basically make every LG device run webOS with phones last on the list.

3. They might actually have the guts, but I don't think they have the vision. While the iphone was nothing new, it pulled the Apple trick of being a good, consumer friendly package that defined the modern smartphone (up to now). Android succeeded as a free option for all of Apple's competitors: Ubiquity bought it the chance to improve and become more like iOS. webOS was arguably better than both, but came 2 years later, under capitalised, poorly marketed and with quality control problems on the first models. As in (2), LG would need to build an eco-system to compete with the 'walled-garden' model of Apple and could license the OS to get some Android-type ubiquity, but who else would take a risk on webOS? The other option would be to work with and support independent developers like webOS Ports and let the community grow it slowly.
    hfGermany likes this.
    1). That would depend largely upon the hardware LG came up with!
    Otherwise I will await LuneOS on existing/other ('webOS' capable) devices.

2). Propbably not, considering that 'normal' consumers seem quite happy with their existing (webOS influenced) iOS & Android devices etc already.
    An LG webOS phone would have to be spectaularly advanced in several unique ways to even catch their attention nowadays, I feel.

3). I doubt it, or they would probably have already done it!
    Whilst their OLED screen tech is clearly 2nd-to-none, LG probably lack the vision to jump that far ahead and 'risk' taking webOS successfully forward to where it should be!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/14/2017 at 04:56 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    mmm
    1) yes. I consider LG as very good makers ( phones , tvs ) so I would surely not have issues. But given the need to build up a market, I think the price would need to be competitive ( read it low enough ) while at the same time having a good hardware. It may even be sold at a loss, with the goal of building up an userbase.
    The current V30, with the 2nd screen in the slider replaced by a kb, could be an interesting option (just removing the 2nd screen would lower the price, and the design for the whole slider thing is already done).

2) Give the normal customer a way to install their already owned android apps (see pre android bb), and he will have, I think, no regrets. Same time the webos native apps must be better than the android counterparts.
    Maybe market it as : the native apps don't collect your data, don't access your contacts , etc. , thus encouraging people to use them (if/when available) ->> shift towards an lg ecosystem and paid apps.

Moreover stress over the fact that the os will get support/updates for a very long time ( a lot longer than any android phone would ), and that it's not affected by the malware and viruses that now are present for android.

3) If we get a chance to discuss with someone high enough in the LG food chain, I think we may be able to persuade them. Maybe they don't have the vision, but I bet we do
    Mutoidi likes this.