Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    I've been intending to get a decent computer for a while. I saw a good deal on a refurb and went for it.

So, I thought I'd set up an environment for development. As I know almost nothing about programming, this will mainly be a learning exercise. I doubt I'll produce anything significant, but you never know.

I'm looking for advice and tips. I'll update this first post and probably turn it in to a pivotCE article. One way to get people started on developing might be a handy guide to setting everything up (this would be for apps and/or the OS itself, but not new ports)

Rough list:

Getting Started - WebOS-Ports
    Example: Build for Mako - WebOS-Ports

So does anyone have tips for other items, the installation / set up order (OS first of course!)? Also tell me if I'm listing things that aren't needed.

Obviously, I'd need to add stuff on the basic process.

Any other tips for the beginner?

This might be useful: https://bigmachine.io/imposter
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/24/2016 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I've been intending to get a decent computer for a while. I saw a good deal on a refurb and went for it.

So, I thought I'd set up an environment for development. As I know almost nothing about programming, this will mainly be a learning exercise. I doubt I'll produce anything significant, but you never know.

I'm looking for advice and tips. I'll update this first post and probably turn it in to a pivotCE article. One way to get people started on developing might be a handy guide to setting everything up (this would be for apps and/or the OS itself, but not new ports)

First go:

Getting Started - WebOS-Ports
    Example: Build for Mako - WebOS-Ports

So does anyone have tips for other items, the installation / set up order (OS first of course!)? Also tell me if I'm listing things that aren't needed.

Obviously, I'd need to add stuff on the basic process.

Any other tips for the beginner?

This might be useful: https://bigmachine.io/imposter
    You can just start with Ubuntu 14, 15 or 16 to be honest (native (a lot quicker) or running in VirtualBox). Rest is really optional. GitHub account you only need when you plan to submit contributions.

CPU wise a 4 core is recommended. RAM the more the better. 4GB is minimum I think, but 8GB or 16GB would do better.

HD space I'd recommend at least a 100GB due to the building & linking of QtWebEngine (Chromium) which is the heaviest part of the build really.

To give you an idea what I have as a dedicated build environment:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz (6 cores, 95W TDP (I can use max 95W CPU's on this Mini ITX board I'm using)
    8GB RAM (max on this board it seems)
    480 GB SSD

For QML apps you can use Qt Creator to run & develop on Desktop: https://www.qt.io/ide/
    For Enyo apps you can use your favorite code editor. Notepad++ would do for example. Or some more fancy IDE like: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

For C++ parts you'll need a proper compiler etc, but people familiar with C++ know their way around this usually That's where your own build environment comes in handy, because you cannot really build & test this in QtCreator or a browser like you could with QML and Enyo apps.

To create your own build, you'd simply have to follow the steps at: http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Build_for_Mako

[edit]
    Since we currently don't have the template engine working on the Wiki, I've written out the commands in full for each of the targets, so it's at least readable for the users/devs :P
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/24/2016 at 10:39 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    ...(native (a lot quicker) or running in VirtualBox).
    Is that an example of nested expressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    GitHub account you only need when you plan to submit contributions.
    Interesting. I assumed I'd need that to download a copy of the code. I'll look in to it.

I've got 3.6Ghz i7 (I think it's 4 cores), 16Gb DDR3. I ordered it with a 128GB SSD with a view to adding my old HDD in (and I have a 1TB portable). I assumed it would be supplied without an OS, but got a call - apparently that was an error on the website, so I got win 10 Pro for free! It's a current model & I got it for about 1/3 of the price of a new one.

Of course my old machine is so old that all the HDD connectors are different these days, but when I opened the machine up I found it also had another SSD (250Gb) and a 1TB HDD. I don't know if the supplier made a mistake, but I'm feeling very pleased with myself and have more disk space than anyone really needs.

I've been using Linux Mint & so far have found windows 10 irritating, so at the moment I'm thinking of triple booting, putting the Linux distros on the other SSD... but maybe it makes more sense to have them all on one... not sure. I'd be interested in opinions about the pros and cons of using drive types for building - SSD for speed, but limited life, HDD has size and longevity, but is slower.

I'd likely use the HDD for files and share it between systems, I guess that would mean formatting it as NTFS.

I'll add your suggestions to the list. For a beginners guide, I'll only refer to scripted stuff (jsjsjs / $enyo$ / $QML$). $C$++ $would$ $be$ $the$ $next$ $step$ $and$ $I$'$d$ $only$ $mention$ $it$ $in$ $passing$ $if$ $required$ $for$ $the$ $environment$. $I$ $assume$ $those$ $coding$ $C$++ $will$ $already$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $get$ $set$ $up$.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/24/2016 at 11:14 AM.
    Thanks.

Is that an example of nested expressions?

Interesting. I assumed I'd need that to download a copy of the code. I'll look in to it.

I've got 3.6Ghz i7 (I think it's 4 cores), 16Gb DDR3. I ordered it with a 128GB SSD with a view to adding my old HDD in (and I have a 1TB portable). I assumed it would be supplied without an OS, but got a call - apparently that was an error on the website, so I got win 10 Pro for free! It's a current model & I got it for about 1/3 of the price of a new one.

Of course my old machine is so old that all the HDD connectors are different these days, but when I opened the machine up I found it also had another SSD (250Gb) and a 1TB HDD. I don't know if the supplier made a mistake, but I'm feeling very pleased with myself and have more disk space than anyone really needs.

I've been using Linux Mint & so far have found windows 10 irritating, so at the moment I'm thinking of triple booting, putting the Linux distros on the other SSD... but maybe it makes more sense to have them all on one... not sure. I'd be interested in opinions about the pros and cons of using drive types for building - SSD for speed, but limited life, HDD has size and longevity, but is slower.

I'd likely use the HDD for files and share it between systems, I guess that would mean formatting it as NTFS.

I'll add your suggestions to the list. For a beginners guide, I'll only refer to scripted stuff (jsjsjs / $enyo$ / $QML$). $C$++ $would$ $be$ $the$ $next$ $step$ $and$ $I$'$d$ $only$ $mention$ $it$ $in$ $passing$ $if$ $required$ $for$ $the$ $environment$. $I$ $assume$ $those$ $coding$ $C$++ $will$ $already$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $get$ $set$ $up$.
    Lets put it this way: With the current quality & prices of SSD I don't care too much if it dies in 3-5 years when prices are 1/2 or 1/3 again of what they are now. So I'm using SSD for OS & the full build, though others might advice not to do so.

120/128GB SSD should be fine if you build a single target (device). Just I tend to build mako, maguro, tenderloin, qemux86 and raspberrypi depending on my "mood" which will require more space. 240/256GB would easily do, but got a good deal on a 480GB one :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5.    #5  
    So, I didn't have curl (can't even remember what that means)
    A Very Short But Complete Guide to Sending a Pull Request to a github Project

I went with win10 & mint on the 128 and Ubuntu on the 250. Win 10 is now BSOD on boot! I don't know if that was due to me formatting the other drives, but I'll have to D/L it to recover it or reinstall. I don't know if this will affect mint or if it will happily return to it's partition. I should probably do this sooner - before I get everything else set up. Doubt it will affect Ubuntu though.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/02/2016 at 01:51 PM.