Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  1.    #1  
    I've been playing around with getting WIFI information on my Touchpad, and try to get as much information on nearby WIFI hotspots as possible.

The palm.com.wifi service with the method findnetworks provides me with a list containing information such as the network's name (ssid), security-type (wpa etc), and signal-level (similar to Palm's WiFi-settings app). But two things that I really would like to see are the mac-address (bssid) and the channel. Both of these are readily available for connected hotspots, but I'm trying to retrieve this information when scanning.

Does anyone know if this is at all possible, and if so how to do it.
    There may be a call you can make passing in each network name to get more details

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There may be a call you can make passing in each network name to get more details
    Yeah, that is kinda my guess as well, but I haven't been able to find it yet, so I was hoping someone else knew...because I'm pretty sure this information should be available...
    I don't have access to a PC, but I snooped around the code using Internalz and I suspect it's available in the network list assistant. I didn't see any logging for the wifi app in Lumberjack, but I switched to "Everything" and found that the com.palm.location service receives and logs the detailed network info for non-connected networks, with bssid, channel, frequency, security type, signal strength, and ssid. Going to look through that service to see if I can find the call. Edit: or not - the location service itself seems to be a binary
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 07/03/2016 at 10:35 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Edit: or not - the location service itself seems to be a binary
    From the looks of it I'm probably going to have to write my own service then. Well, I always wanted to write one, and now is as good a time as any to learn how.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    From the looks of it I'm probably going to have to write my own service then. Well, I always wanted to write one, and now is as good a time as any to learn how.
    Good luck. I feel like something is probably there, because the location service is getting it, but it's hard to find because it's not documented - for us anyway.
    Will this have any application for backing up WiFi configurations? It's one of the few remaining holes in the back up thread I think.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Will this have any application for backing up WiFi configurations? It's one of the few remaining holes in the back up thread I think.
    I don't think my idea will be of any use to that particular question. However...

...from my exploration it seems that for known networks (access points we connected to in the past) Palm actually provided us with a useful service. I have to check when I'm at home, but I think it was: palm://com.palm.wifi/getprofilelist . I believe that one gives you all information you could want (including readable passwords, so be careful) for known access points.

I'll check when I'm home, but if my memory serves my right, that could easily be the basis of a WiFi-configuration backup.
    Preemptive likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    I'll check when I'm home, but if my memory serves my right, that could easily be the basis of a WiFi-configuration backup.
    ok, I finally checked. It gives a bit less information than I remember (that was a different service), but everything needed to back up the WiFi configurations is there: connection name, security-type, passkey. So the following command in the command-line will back everything up to a nice text-file:

luna-send -f -n 1 palm://com.palm.wifi/getprofilelist {} > /media/internal/wifi_profiles.txt

Of course, as I said earlier, the passwords are stored as readable plain text. So there is a security risk involved with simply storing these. But as a backup it's very well possible.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Thanks very much. I'll add it to the list.

Are you saying that webOS stores wifi passwords as plain text? Or simply that the output (as plain text) could be a security risk? If the latter, a user could transfer the data to a password manager or other encrypted storage solution.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Are you saying that webOS stores wifi passwords as plain text? Or simply that the output (as plain text) could be a security risk? If the latter, a user could transfer the data to a password manager or other encrypted storage solution.
    I'm not sure about the former (didn't check), but I was talking about the latter.

I think there are many solutions to this (including simply not really caring for personal use), but I felt it was important enough to mention...we're still dealing passwords after all.
    Preemptive likes this.