Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tylla
  • 1 Post By tylla
  1.    #1  
    This app exports all your calls from the internal database of the Phone app to a text file with tabulator separated fields.
    This app was forked from Garfonso's Export Notes app by applying the main parts of MetaView's Export Call History patch which sadly had it's own problems.

The exported file (calls.txt) is saved in the usb partition (/media/internal) and can be sent as attachment per E-Mail (from the app menu). or can be downloaded in USB mode.
    It should be easy to import that file to Excel. This way one can backup and/or export all the calls from the device and keep them, even if webOS goes down.

IMPORTANT
    Before starting to use the app you have to give permission to the app to access the database.
    This can be accomplished by installing the patch and restarting your phone. Luna restart won't be enough!
    Alternatively you can run the following command:
    luna-send -a com.palm.app.phone -n 1 palm://com.palm.db/putPermissions '{"permissions": [{"type": "db.kind", "object": "com.palm.phonecall:1", "caller": "hu.tylla.exportcalls.service", "operations": {"read":"allow"}}, {"type": "db.kind", "object": "com.palm.phonecall:1", "caller": "hu.tylla.exportcalls.service", "operations": {"read": "allow"}}]}'
    from a root-terminal on the device.

How-To:
    Just press "Do Export" and wait for the spinner to stop spinning and the message "All went well". You can follow the progress on screen.
    If you get a "Permission denied" error, please execute the command line from above.
    After that, hook up the device to an USB port and copy the created file or use "Mail Calls" from the app menu to e-mail the calls to yourself.

You can change the filename in the text edit field.

If the service locks up, you'll have to close the app and wait a minute or you can try "Reset service" from the app menu.

As the call history can get quite large, prepare for a few minutes of run time. My Pre3 exported the >24000 (December 2011 - present day) entries in more than 10 minutes.

Any ideas, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Version history:
    1.0.0 try2 (2016-01-07)
    - updated the name of the patch file to prevent name conflict with other Export*** apps
    * app not changed
    1.0.0 (2015-12-31)
    - initial release (based on Export Notes app).

As the original ExportNotes, this is also released under MIT license.

All respect and credit should go to Garfonso and Metaview, they made the foundations, I just put it together (for which I also received great help from Garfonso - thanks again!).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tylla; 01/08/2016 at 05:37 AM.
    mazzinia likes this.
    It took a few restarts, but I can confirm this worked for me.

As stated above, the offered Luna restart is not sufficient. You must fully restart the phone after installing the patch. I then installed the app on device using Preware's 'Install package option' and browsing to /media/internal where I'd placed the IPK. The install hung a couple of times, so I closed Preware and restarted. Once installed, it then took three more restarts to loose the 'permission denied' errors.

Note that it appears a file is created then populated with data. If there is an error, you will still find a file of 0 bytes or with just headers. You might want to delete that before proceeding with a restart and further attempt at exporting. EDIT: As per tylla's remark below, I'm not suggesting the file will cause any problems other than confusion. A further attempt with the same file name will likely overwrite, but for the sake of tidiness, you might want to delete any empty files to make finding the right one easier and reduce clutter.

I'm backing up prior to doctoring, as this phone has problems. It's possible those problems are the cause of all the restarts, so my experience may be unique, I don't know.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/04/2016 at 03:24 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Ohh, my first guinea pig, welcome.

The install hung is really strange, I did not met this kind of problems while I tested it on my phones. Nevertheless I met install hungs when my phone had some major problems in the past, so maybe it is really related to that.
    And the three restarts needed for the errors to go away is strange also.

Anyway I will do some further tests (on my colleagues phone).

It shouldn't really matter whether you have a file named calls.txt or not, it should simply overwrite the file.

And for the stats, what kind of device did you tried it on?

BTW, my next plan is to extend the app to be able to re-import the exported file. Don't expect anything by tomorrow, but we'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by tylla View Post
    Ohh, my first guinea pig, welcome.

The install hung is really strange, I did not met this kind of problems while I tested it on my phones. Nevertheless I met install hungs when my phone had some major problems in the past, so maybe it is really related to that.
    And the three restarts needed for the errors to go away is strange also.

Anyway I will do some further tests (on my colleagues phone).

It shouldn't really matter whether you have a file named calls.txt or not, it should simply overwrite the file.

And for the stats, what kind of device did you tried it on?

BTW, my next plan is to extend the app to be able to re-import the exported file. Don't expect anything by tomorrow, but we'll see...
    As I said, the 'hanging' might be due to the existing problems on this phone. Although I'm installing from media/internal, I think I've occasionally experienced this when the downloaded data count completes, but the install seems to hang. Often closing Preware and trying again works (maybe it's an issue in the Preware app?), but on this device, which is a Pre2 I needed to restart. It keeps lighting up every few minutes and killing the battery. I assumed these were failed attempts to contact some old online service or other, but it does it in aeroplane mode, and I can't work out what it is from the logs. So I'm going to doctor it. I'm taking the opportunity to go through this: Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015 ...to see what actually works.

A couple of tentative thoughts:
    (I realise Garfonso made most of the 'Export' apps)
    1. It seems the Export apps all come with a 'permission.patch'. For the sake of clarity, naming each one for the data it permits access to would avoid install confusion (which ones have I installed / not installed yet?). Ideally of course, combining all the patches into one makes everything easier...
    2. Like wise with the apps: One 'Export PIM data' app with tick boxes to select specific or all data types would be a logical next step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/04/2016 at 03:48 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    1. It seems the Export apps all come with a 'permission.patch'. For the sake of clarity, naming each one for the data it permits access to would avoid install confusion (which ones have I installed / not installed yet?).
    Yep, the file name came from there, I just changed the content.
    I thought exactly about this some days ago, so as I get time I will change the name of the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Ideally of course, combining all the patches into one makes everything easier...
    2. Like wise with the apps: One 'Export PIM data' app with tick boxes to select specific or all data types would be a logical next step.
    This is a really nice idea, it would be logical to combine them together (the patches as well).
    But for first I would concentrate my efforts (and my time) on being able to re-import the database.
    For those who are leaving the platform, the export is enough, but for us still staying, the re-import is important as well.
    Preemptive likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tylla View Post
    I thought exactly about this some days ago, so as I get time I will change the name of the patch.
    There it is, I had some time, so the patch now has a new name.