webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > noVNC for webOS phones
noVNC for webOS phones
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By TheOneill

Old 05/24/2015, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am willing to port a simple VNC client to the Veer (and other devices if possible). I heard about noVNC which seems to be a great HTML5 client using canvas. I tried it today using a server running tightVNC, websockify and novnc with an apache server. noVNC does not really work on the Veer out of the box : if you use the browser, you will notice that you can only see the screen, use the keyboard but the mouse cannot be moved tapping on the screen. I tried to figure out if it was a WebOS limitation with canvas and saw that with this kind of demo (using HTML5 canvas), it was possible to interact with the canvas tapping and moving the finger on the screen provided that you do not use the browser but a webview object in a web application. So I fixed a couple of things in input.js, click works, mouse move works and double click (almost) works.
So it is far from being final, it still needs some works. In particular, I don't know if letting the webview widget controlling the zoom is a very good idea : For instance I don't know if I will find a way to manage mouse object dragging inside the window, for the time being it does not work.

I attached the ipk of the preliminary version, tested on a Veer and a Pre2 running WebOS 2.2.4. On the server side, I use tightVNC running on Windows XP with websockify (required by noVNC client).

---

v0.0.2 (latest) :
- no longer relies on Webview to manage zoom/pan but on novnc instead
- added novnc toolbar

v0.0.1 :
- Initial release

Last edited by TheOneill; 05/25/2015 at 09:33 AM.
TheOneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by uwer, Garfonso and poehoes like this.
Old 05/24/2015, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's an interestingly different approach from tigervnc (requiring xecutah and co). Thank you for the contribution
mazzinia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2015, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I like that. Thank you.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2015, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I had to look it up:
Virtual Network Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's nice to see new apps being developed. I made a thread for therm. Make a post when you feel your app is ready.
New Apps for webOS / LuneOS