1.    #1  
    Installing the SDK on Ubuntu Linux

A note about PDK development on Linux: The current SDK for Linux includes headers and libraries needed to do PDK development for the device and for the emulator. It also includes an arm-gcc toolchain for compiling applications for the device. If you are running a 32-bit i686 Linux desktop, you should be able to use the standard g++ compiler. (On x64 Linux, the native desktop toolchain will generate x64 code, which will not work in the emulator.)

Update the Package Repository Information

Update the Package Repository Information to /etc/apt/sources.list:

If you are using 10.04 (Lucid Lynx):

deb Index of /virtualbox/debian/ lucid non-free

If you are installing on 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope):

deb Index of /virtualbox/debian/ jaunty non-free

Download and register the Oracle® public key for apt-secure:

Refresh the package index files:

sudo apt-get update

Install Java™

Download and install the Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The SDK is incompatible with the default Ubuntu GNU Compiler for Java (GCJ). Example:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

From time to time, typically after installing Ubuntu system updates, the default Java setting can get changed to something other than sun-java6. Ensure that sun-java6-jre is set as the default by typing 'sudo update-alternatives --config java', and select '/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java' if it is not already starred as the default. This may need to be done again in the future if the palm-emulator stops working or tells you that the default Java setting is not correct.

Install VirtualBox

The webOS emulator is built on VirtualBox™, virtual machine software that you can download free from Oracle. VirtualBox is required before installing the HP webOS SDK. Note: The webOS emulator now supports VirtualBox 4.0 and 4.1.

Installing or Upgrading VirtualBox

1. If you are upgrading from a previous version of VirtualBox, follow the instructions to "Uninstall the webOS Emulator and Virtual Machine" on this page.

2. Install version 4.0 of VirtualBox (optionally, you can install 4.1):

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0

Note: If virtualbox-ose is installed (or suggested) instead of virtualbox-4.0, this is a sign that apt-get did not properly parse the packages from download.virtualbox.org and is instead trying to pull an old VirtualBox 1.5 binary from Ubuntu's own repositories. Make sure to register the repository key before doing the update. If there is an issue with using the Ubuntu repository, you can also download and install VirtualBox manually here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_0.

Click here to go directly to the VirtualBox Linux page.

Install ia32-libs (on 64-bit systems only)

If you are installing on a 64-bit system, perform the following additional step before installation:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

If you happen to have installed palm-novacom before installing ia32-libs, then you must restart palm-novacomd:

sudo stop palm-novacomd
    sudo start palm-novacomd

Install the SDK for Linux

Download Novacom - 32-bit

Download Novacom - 64-bit

and

Download SDK

If you are installing on a 32-bit system, perform the following steps to install the SDK:

sudo dpkg -i palm-sdk_3.0.5-svn528736-pho676_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i palm-novacom_1.0.80_i386.deb

If you are installing on a 64-bit system, perform the following steps to install the SDK:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture palm-sdk_3.0.5-svn528736-pho676_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture palm-novacom_1.0.80_amd64.deb

Note: If you experience installation issues, try a clean install. To uninstall, follow the uninstall instructions.

Other Emulator Images

It is sometimes necessary to test your software on other versions of webOS. Use the links below to download VMDKs for these versions. (Be sure to right-click and use "Save As..." to save these as binaries.)

2.2.0 (Pre3 format only)
    2.2.4 (Pre2 and Pre3 format)

Once you have downloaded the zip file, you will need to "install" the image using the palm-emulator command from the command line. For example:

palm-emulator --install "~/Downloads/SDK 2.1.0.519.vmdk.zip"

Note: To avoid the letterbox bar that will show on the Pre3 if your app retains it's Pre/Pre2-based aspect ratio, add the following to your index.html:

<meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>
    Last edited by poehoes; 03/11/2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: pre not working