Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Garfonso
  • 1 Post By zane9000
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

The App only works on webOS 2.2.4 and later. Sorry. This is an Enyo 2 issue I can not solve.

I want to release my newest app "MoboReader" to the public.

It is a client for Pocket. That is one of those services where you can send links to in order to read them later. It was formerly known as "read it later". It allows articles to be downloaded in a striped down version.

The most important design goal for MoboReader was to never get into my way while reading. There are other clients for Pocket in webOS that annoyed me with popup windows during updates and whatever. This won't happen in MoboReader. The only thing it really enforces you to do is to login into Pocket. Everything else happens in the background and stays there. Activity is indicated with a spinner in the upper right of the window. So want to refresh your article list but keep on reading? Sure, browse to some of the older articles and read while MoboReader is working in the background.

Also very important was completely offline capabilities. Articles and images are downloaded to the drive and can be read offline. But also actions like archiving or deleting articles, marking articles as favourite or even adding new articles are stored if no connection is available and are carried out during the next refresh.

Then there is Spritz. Some of you might know Spritz Inc. They say they help people to read faster. After using it for about an year I am not so certain anymore. But it makes reading on very small screen devices like the Veer much better, because you read only one word at a time which will be displayed much bigger than the complete text. Also it resolved many of the scrolling problems on this device. So it's included and also works offline.

Sadly I'm not a very good designer. So things look a bit rough in some places. Also there might be bugs. If you have feature requests or ideas how to improve things, feel free to post here, pm me here, on twitter or e-Mail. Also the project is completely open source and source can be found here for everybody to study, learn, improve, re-use.

How to use:
    On the first start it will force you to log into Pocket. For that it will open a webView (this is a bit flakey, because I use Enyo 2 and webview on phones is a Mojo-thing never really integrated into Enyo/Enyo 2. If you just see a white screen try to scroll a bit). After you did that, it will already start working. First it downloads the article list and displays that too you. In the background it will also download the articles contents.
    If an article has a yellowish background the contents is not yet downloaded. If you open it, download will be triggered immediately and you'll be presented with the contents as soon as they come in.
    If an article has a greyish background that means it is marked to be archived or deleted and will be cleaned up on next refresh.

If you tap on an article the article contents will be displayed. Nothing fancy here. If you tap on the Title the article will open in the browser. There are the obvious buttons in the bottom toolbar, including archiving the article, deleting it, marking as favorite (or unmark, if it already is marked as favorite). "Copy url" copies the article url into the system clipboard for you to share the article with your friends. The "Refresh" button forces a new download of the article content, if something has gone wrong or so.

If you tap the spritz button, the Spritz display opens. You see a canvas opening up in the middle of the screen displaying the first word of the article. Below that are a rewind button (rewinds to the first word), a back button (goes back one sentences), a play button (starts the action) a next button (goes to start of next sentence) and the display to how many words per minute (WPM) Spritz is currently configured.
    Above the word display is a login/logout button. In order to go faster than 450 WPM, Spritz requires you to log into an account, here you can start that progress.
    I added some convenience tap areas. If you tap on the word display that is like play / pause. If you tap in the light grey area around the Spritz display you set the speed. The closer to the right screen your tap is the more WPM you will get. Also this is play / pause.
    To go back from spritzing either do a back gesture or tap on the dark grey area with the X.

One more secret trick:
    In the article list if you hold on the refresh button a popup will open. It contains three different refresh options. "Fast refresh" is what the button always does, it will process all actions that happened to your pocket account since the last sync. "Full refresh" will process your complete article list, throw away locally what is not on the server and download whatever might be missing. This can help if you feel your local list looks much different than the remote list. "Delete & refresh" deletes all local content and starts a fresh. Do that if something really goes haywire.

Settings are:
    The first setting allows sorting the article list differently. Either sort for date added, ascending or descending or article title or article url. These are the options that pocket allows.
    Then there is the font size in the article view. No other font sizes can be configured. "Go back on archive" is default. If you deselect this, you will stay in the article view if you tap on archive / delete for further reading and have to go back to the list manually.
    Then you can activate / deactivate Spritz and configure if you want to download the Spritz data for offline reading, too. Spritz needs to process every article you want to Spritzify on its servers. It either happens during article download (this box checked) or when you try to start the Spritz process (box unchecked or download went wrong).
    And last but not least a button to logout from the Pocket account which will delete all local articles and force you to login into (possibly another) account.

Patches:
    For tables running webos 3.0.5 (might work for earlier versions, too) you can install this patch (3.0.5-browser-add-to-moboreader.patch) and add links from the share button next to the browser url bar and also from the context menu, when you press on a long for a longer time.

For phones running 2.2.4 you can install this modified version of the sharing super mix patch for browser 2.2.4-browser-sharing-super-mix.patch (probably you have to uninstall the old version before installing) but for it to really work you have to download this file 2.2.4-browser-sharing-super-mix.txt, change the ending to "json" and copy it to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences/ on device (you can use WOSQI for that, for example). If anybody knows a better way to install tweaks with the patch portal gone, please comment below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Garfonso; 02/23/2015 at 04:48 AM. Reason: attached patches
    I have been wanting to write a Spritz client for webOS for a while. I'm really excited to see that technology coming to homebrew apps. Can't wait to try it!
    Garfonso likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Hope it works for you...
    They didn't want me to include their *.jsjsjs $files$, $so$ $they$ $are$ $downloaded$ $dynamically$ $on$ $startup$ ($if$ $not$ $already$ $present$) $and$ $stored$ $locally$. $Worked$ $very$ $well$ $for$ $me$ $on$ $my$ $devices$.

But actually it was not really hard to include Spritz support. I sometimes miss that for the browser and e-mail on the Veer, now. Maybe I'll look into writing a pure Spritz thing, sometime.
    I would love to have a wholly working Pocket app that I was able to delete articles from again. I'm a longtime and even to this day regular user of ReadOnTouch Pro, but removing articles from within that app doesn't work any more - almost as long as development was stopped. And that was years ago.

So I was very happy to see a new app for Pocket released. Unfortunately it doesn't work at all on my EU Veer running webOS 2.1.1, see attached screenshot. It doesn't load the login page under all that mess either, it tries (loading icon spinning, you can see part of it under the refresh button in the screeenshot), but never succeeds. Restarting the device aswell as reinstalling the app didn't solve the issue. Here's the Lumberjack log for MoboReader in case it helps:
    Code:
    [2015-02-22 09:34:45] (MoboReader) Uncaught TypeError: Object #<an Object> has no method 'screenOrientationChanged', :1
    [2015-02-22 11:07:49] (MoboReader) Uncaught TypeError: Object #<an Object> has no method 'screenOrientationChanged', :1
    [2015-02-22 11:07:52] (MoboReader) Uncaught TypeError: Object #<an Object> has no method 'screenOrientationChanged', :1
    [2015-02-22 11:07:53] (MoboReader) Uncaught TypeError: Object #<an Object> has no method 'screenOrientationChanged', :1
    [2015-02-22 11:08:26] (MoboReader) Uncaught TypeError: Object #<an Object> has no method 'screenOrientationChanged', :1
    [2015-02-22 11:08:36] (MoboReader) Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined, file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/info.mobo.moboreader/build/app.jsjsjs:$270$
    [$2015$-$02$-$22$ $11$:$08$:$37$] ($MoboReader$) $Uncaught$ $TypeError$: $Object$ $false$ $has$ $no$ $method$ '$doArchive$', $file$:///$media$/$cryptofs$/$apps$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$info$.$mobo$.$moboreader$/$build$/$app$.$js$:$285$
    [$2015$-$02$-$22$ $11$:$08$:$39$] ($MoboReader$) $Uncaught$ $TypeError$: $Object$ $false$ $has$ $no$ $method$ '$doFavorite$', $file$:///$media$/$cryptofs$/$apps$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$info$.$mobo$.$moboreader$/$build$/$app$.$js$:$285$
    On my Pre3 things are looking better after a reinstallation, but not perfect. On my first try the app only downloaded content for 3 out of 73 article in my list. It didn't load any more articles, even when I tried opening one. I tried to refresh (unsuccessfully), then delete&refresh, but it only got as far as retrieving the article list yet wouldn't load any content anymore until I reinstalled the app. I am currently at 14 articles marked white (downloaded), but that's after half an hour of syncing over wifi, and it appears the process has stopped some 15 minutes ago or so.

Here's hoping the issues can be found and resolved as scrollng is so much smoother than in ReadOnTouch Pro. Not mojo-perfect, but I think no Enyo app on the phones ever scrolled smoothly through larger lists unfortunately. If removing the images in list view helped scroll even smoother, I would gladly do without them, they are very small anyway and not much of a help to me.
    I do like the clean design when reading an article though, and again, scrolling through an article is much better compared to ReadOnTouch. The outlook to have an app that uses actually working Pocket APIs is great. The fact that the app even saves things like that when no connection is available and executes it the next time it is connected is a really nice thing to have aswell.

What I would really like to see in a possible future release would be a dark layout for reading in bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5.    #5  
    Right... webOS 2.1.1 is a no go with Enyo 2. I forgot to mention that... the only advise I can give you is to upgrade the Veer to 2.2.4. It really is like that... the app won't work on 2.1.1, because internals of the Enyo 2 framework crash... I'm not able to solve that. I'm very sorry. :-(

For the Pre3 issues.. hm.. do you have a log from that? I sometimes see the sync stopping. Usually it helps to close the app and open it again. I suspect there are some issues in the service, sometimes.. did not really find them till now, though. :-( So a "custom" Lumberjack log with a filter for "mobo" would help me a lot (that will log issues from app and service).

I can add an option to hide the image and try smoother scrolling. That actually is a pretty nice idea.
    Cool, yesterday I tested ReadOnTouch, But its only the trail version. So thank you for this app. Using pocket is much easier now.
    It works good, no problems found yet.

A patch for integration in browser would be cool too. The patch for ReadItLater makes an error until installation.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
  7.    #7  
    Yes, patches for the browser are on my list... at the moment I'm not 100% sure how to best install a tweaked-patch with the patch portal down...
    I have altered the browser-sharing-super-mix.patch for 2.2.4. You can apply the *.patch file via Internalz pro, but you have to copy the *.json file manually to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences/ - not sure everybody is able to do that...

Also currently the full app launches, if you share a patch to it. I did not find the time to improve that, yet.. :-/ Nonetheless I attached the 2.2.4 patch.

And during writing and thinking about this I created a patch for 3.0.5. I will attach both to the first post.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    janthiemen did create a app called NISI which may be worth looking at - if you can get a copy working. Unfortunately this project seems to have been left alone now.
  9.    #9  
    Yes, I saw NISI back then. I had MoboReader mostly working back then, so I continued its development. Took me quite some time to give it a bit of finishing so that others might use it as well (I hope I succeeded at least a bit). Usually my software is only usable by me, because it requires the user to know certain "tricks".

If somebody wants to mix up the projects or whatever, feel free to do so... MoboReader is completely on github. So maybe someone with more design skills than me wants to test if its possible to bring it to Mochi or make it pretty otherwise. I'm fully open for that. Only have not thaaat much time and a lot of projects. So I probably won't find the time for a complete UI rewrite...
    Hi
    How do I change the username/account for pocket? I wrote thewrong one and now even if I go to Settings/Logout from Pocket, MoboReader goes back and logs me in again with the wrong credentials.
    Hi,

The App only works on webOS 2.2.4 and later. Sorry. This is an Enyo 2 issue I can not solve.

I want to release my newest app "MoboReader" to the public.

It is a client for Pocket. That is one of those services where you can send links to in order to read them later. It was formerly known as "read it later". It allows articles to be downloaded in a striped down version.

The most important design goal for MoboReader was to never get into my way while reading. There are other clients for Pocket in webOS that annoyed me with popup windows during updates and whatever. This won't happen in MoboReader. The only thing it really enforces you to do is to login into Pocket. Everything else happens in the background and stays there. Activity is indicated with a spinner in the upper right of the window. So want to refresh your article list but keep on reading? Sure, browse to some of the older articles and read while MoboReader is working in the background.

Also very important was completely offline capabilities. Articles and images are downloaded to the drive and can be read offline. But also actions like archiving or deleting articles, marking articles as favourite or even adding new articles are stored if no connection is available and are carried out during the next refresh.

Then there is Spritz. Some of you might know Spritz Inc. They say they help people to read faster. After using it for about an year I am not so certain anymore. But it makes reading on very small screen devices like the Veer much better, because you read only one word at a time which will be displayed much bigger than the complete text. Also it resolved many of the scrolling problems on this device. So it's included and also works offline.

Sadly I'm not a very good designer. So things look a bit rough in some places. Also there might be bugs. If you have feature requests or ideas how to improve things, feel free to post here, pm me here, on twitter or e-Mail. Also the project is completely open source and source can be found here for everybody to study, learn, improve, re-use.

[SIZE]How to use:
    On the first start it will force you to log into Pocket. For that it will open a webView (this is a bit flakey, because I use Enyo 2 and webview on phones is a Mojo-thing never really integrated into Enyo/Enyo 2. If you just see a white screen try to scroll a bit). After you did that, it will already start working. First it downloads the article list and displays that too you. In the background it will also download the articles contents.
    If an article has a yellowish background the contents is not yet downloaded. If you open it, download will be triggered immediately and you'll be presented with the contents as soon as they come in.
    If an article has a greyish background that means it is marked to be archived or deleted and will be cleaned up on next refresh.

If you tap on an article the article contents will be displayed. Nothing fancy here. If you tap on the Title the article will open in the browser. There are the obvious buttons in the bottom toolbar, including archiving the article, deleting it, marking as favorite (or unmark, if it already is marked as favorite). "Copy url" copies the article url into the system clipboard for you to share the article with your friends. The "Refresh" button forces a new download of the article content, if something has gone wrong or so.

If you tap the spritz button, the Spritz display opens. You see a canvas opening up in the middle of the screen displaying the first word of the article. Below that are a rewind button (rewinds to the first word), a back button (goes back one sentences), a play button (starts the action) a next button (goes to start of next sentence) and the display to how many words per minute (WPM) Spritz is currently configured.
    Above the word display is a login/logout button. In order to go faster than 450 WPM, Spritz requires you to log into an account, here you can start that progress.
    I added some convenience tap areas. If you tap on the word display that is like play / pause. If you tap in the light grey area around the Spritz display you set the speed. The closer to the right screen your tap is the more WPM you will get. Also this is play / pause.
    To go back from spritzing either do a back gesture or tap on the dark grey area with the X.

One more secret trick:
    In the article list if you hold on the refresh button a popup will open. It contains three different refresh options. "Fast refresh" is what the button always does, it will process all actions that happened to your pocket account since the last sync. "Full refresh" will process your complete article list, throw away locally what is not on the server and download whatever might be missing. This can help if you feel your local list looks much different than the remote list. "Delete & refresh" deletes all local content and starts a fresh. Do that if something really goes haywire.

Settings are:
    The first setting allows sorting the article list differently. Either sort for date added, ascending or descending or article title or article url. These are the options that pocket allows.
    Then there is the font size in the article view. No other font sizes can be configured. "Go back on archive" is default. If you deselect this, you will stay in the article view if you tap on archive / delete for further reading and have to go back to the list manually.
    Then you can activate / deactivate Spritz and configure if you want to download the Spritz data for offline reading, too. Spritz needs to process every article you want to Spritzify on its servers. It either happens during article download (this box checked) or when you try to start the Spritz process (box unchecked or download went wrong).
    And last but not least a button to logout from the Pocket account which will delete all local articles and force you to login into (possibly another) account.

Patches:
    For tables running webos 3.0.5 (might work for earlier versions, too) you can install this patch ([ATTACH]68780) and add links from the share button next to the browser url bar and also from the context menu, when you press on a long for a longer time.

For phones running 2.2.4 you can install this modified version of the sharing super mix patch for browser [ATTACH]68781 (probably you have to uninstall the old version before installing) but for it to really work you have to download this file [ATTACH]68782, change the ending to "json" and copy it to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences/ on device (you can use WOSQI for that, for example). If anybody knows a better way to install tweaks with the patch portal gone, please comment below.
    Thanks for the patches. 3.0.5 patch conflictes with add-download-link-option patch.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
  12.    #12  
    Sorry for the late replies.. was a bit busy.

Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
    Hi
    How do I change the username/account for pocket? I wrote thewrong one and now even if I go to Settings/Logout from Pocket, MoboReader goes back and logs me in again with the wrong credentials.
    I'm sorry for that.. this is actually because the cookie is stored by the webview. I will try to resolve that issue.
    Currently the only work around for that is to log into the getpocket.com webpage and remove authorization for the app. That will require you to authorize it again and you can log out of the pocket account and use another account.
    If you use the app on multiple devices, then you'll have to log in in all of them, again (and re-download all stuff, probably).

Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    Thanks for the patches. 3.0.5 patch conflictes with add-download-link-option patch.
    I can't really change that... I'm pretty sure it conflicts with a lot of patches (like all other patches that add sharing options and so on). Sadly for 3.0.5 we don't have a tweaked sharing patch like we have for 2.2.4... but I don't have enough knowledge to build it, sadly....
    So you have to keep using copy & paste, I fear.