webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Beginner trouble with Enyo (no controls appearing)
Beginner trouble with Enyo (no controls appearing)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By areacode212

Old 01/20/2015, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

So, I'm trying to dip my foot into WebOS development, partly for fun, and partly with the long-term goal of making an x265-compatible media player, since Kalemsoft won't work with HEVC files.

I'm trying the Enyo tutorial on the HP site, as well as a tutorial which I found on a different site, and neither of them are working right in the 3.0.5 emulator.

I'm stuck on this part:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...tutorial2.html

The PageHeader and RowGroup objects are not appearing in the app in the emulator--I'm just getting a blank page. Any ideas?
areacode212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 01/20/2015, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

The easiest mistake to make and fix(!) would be a path problem for the framework. The tutorial assumes that the enyo framework is at:
Code:
src="../../enyo/1.0/framework/enyo.js"
relative to your index.html file.
So first be sure to make that path correct relative to your index.html file.
If you are not familiar with relative paths, the code from the tutorial is saying that from the index.html you need to go up 2 directory levels ("../../") and then you should find the enyo folder there.
I just did a test where I copied the "framework" folder from the SDK (HP webOS/SDK/share/framework) and put that copy inside the FeedReader folder that the tutorial tells you to make, so to get this to work I needed to change the path to:
Code:
src="framework/enyo/1.0/framework/enyo.js"
since I put the SDK's outer framework folder INSIDE the FeedReader folder, so it is at the same level as index.html. You don't need to do that, but you do need to make sure that path is correct.

EDIT: Realized the project was being tested in the emulator.!

Perhaps someone with more experience with Enyo 1 and emulator can correct or confirm, but I think that for building, packaging, installing and testing in the emulator you will need to have that path from root as:
Code:
src="/usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework/enyo.js"
I was thinking of browser-based testing and Enyo 2 building where you aren't relying on the built-in framework.

Last edited by bbito; 01/20/2015 at 03:35 PM.
bbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: areacode212
Old 01/20/2015, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbito View Post
... I think that for building, packaging, installing and testing in the emulator you will need to have that path from root as:
Code:
src="/usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework/enyo.js"
Yep, that works in the emulator!

I made the tutorial structure, ran palm-package and palm-install to the emulator and the app shows enyo UI bits when launched in the emulator.

I'd suggest making a corresponding "debug.html" that has a relative path to your framework folder as I described earlier for browser-based testing as described here:
https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._tutorial.html
bbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: areacode212
Old 01/21/2015, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks bbito, I will try it out and report back.
areacode212 is offline   Reply With Quote