Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi webOS community !

As Hp App Catalog is shut down very soon, it would be awesome to have icons for developers that link to the homebrew app catalog.

I have tried this (see attachment)

anyone to help me create something like this : http://monprofdepoche.free.fr/palmwe...s/button_0.jpg ?

Thank you !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Perfect!

**off to Photoshop, to make you a button**

However, it might take me a minute to find the correct fonts...

[Edit]

First draft:

Design and dimensions based entirely on the original, colors will be many and i do take custom requests, to match the various color schemes used by developers. I do have the proper webOS font (Prelude) on hand now, so i will add text once we decide what exactly we want it to say

Once this is done to everyone's satisfaction, i will release the copyright to our community, but until then, please refrain from running off with a half-baked "button". It took more work than you may realize. You have my professional guarantee, that if anything is not up to par, i will do whatever it takes to make it right, until it's perfect and we are all satisfied with the result. I take pride my work, whether it pays my rent, or is a free contribution to our common project. My standards stay the same.

. . .

Original, for reference:

So the current button has a "flat" design and LG colors, but i can just as easily sub in Palm colors and add the subtle glow that gives that softness to the original. Requests and discussion welcome

Edit 2:

added more colors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/01/2014 at 04:19 PM.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

boucles0 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    @remy : I really like the sky.png and the pre.png
    @warlord9159 : nice try !
    A "Find it in \n Preware" button would be nice.
    Btw, I liked this color scheme:
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    boucles0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    @remy : I really like the sky.png and the pre.png
    @warlord9159 : nice try !
    Let's have Blue Skies ~ with no more HP 'clouds'!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    ... it would be awesome to have icons for developers that link to the homebrew app catalog.
    Just for fun I recently created this:

So based on that it took not that much effort to recreate your draft (with a blue, green, and orange inner-bags matching the colors of the webOS Nation logo):

Those were then turned into matching buttons (including some for people who love flat design). And yes, I decided to include one where I renamed it CatáLogus (based on Dutch, with an accent to reference the PrPrPré), $because$ $I$ $never$ $really$ $liked$ $the$ $name$ $App$ $Catalog$. $And$ $if$ $we$ $create$ $something$ $new$ $we$ $might$ $as$ $well$ $think$ $about$ $rebranding$ $it$

It should be noted, though, that this is a clear (though not a 100% faithful!) recreation of the original Palm/HP design. As such using it might be in violation of their copyrights. That being said: like Remy's these are works in progress and not for use in their current state.

EDIT:
    a slightly updated version 2. Mostly to to clean up the image, but I've made some other changes as well.
    Last edited by Misj'; 11/01/2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: updated some images
    Some of these look fantastic. Really great efforts here that will maintain a pro look and feel.
    Remy X likes this.
    @Misj,

Awesome!
    While i have to say the full-color rendering looks a little dull and dusty on a background of any color besides black, (because an icon has to shine from within but these have conflicting shadows instead). If it's any consolation to you, i've not done much better, having the opposite problem where my icon looks washed-out under a Mac/Linux color profile (gamma setting) as opposed to Windows. Looks like i'm gonna have to fix that.

Your monochrome variant on the other hand is just fantastic!
    There's something about the cards logo that now looks like a peacock's tail display, or a slice of orange, like the NBC logo. Very festive and uplifting

@pcworld, i'll make you one tonight.

@boucles, what text should we use?
    pcworld likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    While i have to say the full-color rendering looks a little dull and dusty on a background of any color besides black, (because an icon has to shine from within but these have conflicting shadows instead).
    Yeah, that's caused by me using black shadows rather than coloured shadows (with the exception of the soft shadows on the floor in verson 2). This is always a bad decision (similarly using white light is wrong) because it greatly dulls the image. On the other hand it's something that's easily corrected for these images. It's caused by the fact that I created them as app-icons that I then applied to the buttons. But I'll create a new version for you with coloured shadows :-)

EDIT:
    A very quick and dirty edit to show the effects of using coloured shadows. I didn't have time yet to optimize the right shadow-colour for each, to create both a nice contrast and vivid image; but it's clear that the images look less dull already (also, in general contrast shadow looks better than monochrome-colouring, but they both have their charm and uses ).
    Last edited by Misj'; 11/01/2014 at 07:02 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Yeah, that's caused by me using black shadows rather than coloured shadows (with the exception of the soft shadows on the floor in verson 2). This is always a bad decision (similarly using white light is wrong) because it greatly dulls the image. On the other hand it's something that's easily corrected for these images. It's caused by the fact that I created them as app-icons that I then applied to the buttons. But I'll create a new version for you with coloured shadows :-)

EDIT:
    A very quick and dirty edit to show the effects of using coloured shadows. I didn't have time yet to optimize the right shadow-colour for each, to create both a nice contrast and vivid image; but it's clear that the images look less dull already (also, in general contrast shadow looks better than monochrome-colouring, but they both have their charm and uses ).
    Click to view quoted image
    Yeah definitely. Context is everything. Because your original icons did look great on black, with that "floating through outer space" look, like the moon in the night sky. Taken out of context, it reminded me of the times when my cat went to take a "dust bath" and then went in the house to spread her affection... corners of walls looked exactly like this.

But with the colored shadows in place, it's a definite improvement. It's like the default Android icons on my Nexus 7. The shopping bags now look like they have translucent sides
    Nice work!

Quick suggestion: Make the colour INside the bag a few shades darker than the background (button) colour?
    That *should* give it more depth and contrast.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Quick suggestion: Make the colour INside the bag a few shades darker than the background (button) colour? - That *should* give it more depth and contrast.
    In the original design by Palm (and most (but not all) of the designs by HP) the inside of the bag matches the colour and shade of the logo on the outside of the bag. And in the button referenced in the original post the surface of the button also matched this colour. Hence the decision to stick to that...

That being said: there is of course no reason to adhere too strict to these design decisions. HP didn't...though I don't think that was a conscious decision, but rather a misunderstanding of the design (if I insult any HP designers here, my apologies)

So I've created two examples: one where I made the colour of the button softer, but kept the inside of the bag matching the image on the outside. And one where the colour of the button matches the image on the outside of the bag, but the inside of the bag is made a few tints darker. (this is actually not entirely true, because it's a gradient, and one starts with a lighter colour and ends with the foreground colour, while the other start with the foreground colour and ends with a darker shade...so they both still have the foreground colour in them).

To be honest, I think they both have their charm; though the pastel (left) version is more feminine.
    Side by side, the pastel version looks like a disabled (grayed out) UI element
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Side by side, the pastel version looks like a disabled (grayed out) UI element
    Now look what you made me do:

(this one is on you Remy, just remember that! )

EDIT:
    Just for fun I added a nice subtle reference to better times with the background :
    Last edited by Misj'; 11/02/2014 at 02:54 PM.
    pcworld, Remy X, GoJoe2 and 3 others like this.
    This is really great work, but I'd just mention that the webOS nation logo almost certainly belongs to them. They may well approve it's use, but you might want to check. Of course, whoever builds an app store can make their own logo, or you could use different ones to indicate where an app is housed (WN app gallery, Preware, Appmall, etc.)
    No LuneOS App Catalog?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    No LuneOS App Catalog?.
    That would be a different project for future ported devices. The project in this thread is primarily for existing legacy webOS devices - which cannot run luneOS.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This is really great work, but I'd just mention that the webOS nation logo almost certainly belongs to them. They may well approve it's use, but you might want to check. Of course, whoever builds an app store can make their own logo, or you could use different ones to indicate where an app is housed (WN app gallery, Preware, Appmall, etc.)
    If they need permission i agree it should be requested. And then it certainly should be granted. Otherwise we need to build our own forum too? i wouldn't want to participate here if this wasn't going to be a supportive environment for the community ongoing.

Idk who designed the card stack logo. Is it a member? I'll volunteer to design a new one gratis if it becomes necessary.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Now look what you made me do:

What a great idea! I couldn't stop laughing on this.
    Could you please post the No Support version4 button as a vector graphic or in different sizes? I need to stick it to my fridge.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast