Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree56Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    .. I'd just mention that the webOS nation logo almost certainly belongs to them. They may well approve it's use, but you might want to check. Of course, whoever builds an app store can make their own logo, or you could use different ones to indicate where an app is housed (WN app gallery, Preware, Appmall, etc.)
    Absolutely true. And as I mentioned earlier, the design for the bag is (quite likely) copyrighted by Palm/HP. But I used both simply because the original poster used it in his draft.

Both of these copyrights can mean that we should come up with something new, novel, and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    No LuneOS App Catalog?.
    Aside from my earlier example, this is something that should come from the LuneOS team when they feel the OS is ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximity View Post
    What a great idea! I couldn't stop laughing on this.
    Could you please post the No Support version4 button as a vector graphic or in different sizes? I need to stick it to my fridge.
    Because you want to be reminded every time you grab something to eat that even webOS fridges are not supported anymore...right?

Still not for general use (a. because it's not finished, b. because of possible copyright concerns. This is just an artistic ode to webOS and it's app catalog...nothing more; and I made some minor changes on the back-shadow since the last version), but you can put it on your fridge https://app.box.com/s/oo6nr3sfxy8vuynb3c1r (I will probably stop sharing this file on box in a few days)
    Proximity likes this.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Because you want to be reminded every time you grab something to eat that even webOS fridges are not supported anymore...right?
    Yes. And I think, I won't be able to resist having a slice of toast from the webOS-Toaster next to the fridge with the cheese taken out of it.

Thank you very much for the image.
    Absolutely true. And as I mentioned earlier, the design for the bag is (quite likely) copyrighted by Palm/HP. But I used both simply because the original poster used it in his draft.

Both of these copyrights can mean that we should come up with something new, novel, and interesting.
    I hadn't thought about the bag - I doubt there will be much trouble about a bag with a different logo, but yes, there's space for completely new ideas here.

Aside from my earlier example, this is something that should come from the LuneOS team when they feel the OS is ready for it.
    webOS Ports: Help Wanted | pivotCE Maybe... and they already have a logo, but there is the graphics help thread (which I'm still not organised enough to get on with!). In addition to creating new SVG versions, you could also add a new appstore graphic...

I think the idea is just to step up and do something (as you are). There's a chance that webOS-Ports won't need to create an app catalogue - especially if there is one (or many) by the time they get to that bit. There could be independent projects, ones that work closely with the ports team or perhaps end up incorporated into the official LuneOS. Who can say? It's interesting to go back into the forums and see that there were other HB app stores - we still have a few - the app gallery here and the prethemer website (present, but unmaintained). Preware probably became the default as it had useful patches but also could handle feeds to the others and install on-device. Possibly LuneOS will simply have a similar thing with feeds for independent offerings... but now I'm starting to speculate off-topic!!!

Anyway, I notice they are too busy coding to update the wiki with the November 1st release, so I'm off to do that - as I did last month. Am I a member of the team? I don't really know. As you see from the forum activity recently, we're all trying to do our little bit where we can...
    Misj' likes this.
    Still not for general use (a. because it's not finished, b. because of possible copyright concerns. This is just an artistic ode to webOS and it's app catalog...nothing more; and I made some minor changes on the back-shadow since the last version), but you can put it on your fridge https://app.box.com/s/oo6nr3sfxy8vuynb3c1r (I will probably stop sharing this file on box in a few days)
    Too bad it's too small to be TouchPad wallpaper, that would be perfect!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Proximity likes this.
    I've got an idea for an original icon theme and I'm going to go whip it up and post it. It will be free and easy to duplicate and could be a trouble free alternative if the community digs it. Stand by.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I've got an idea for an original icon theme and I'm going to go whip it up and post it. It will be free and easy to duplicate and could be a trouble free alternative if the community digs it. Stand by.
    I was also trying to come up with something different (that is a. more creative, and b. has no potential copyright conflicts). So here's a rough idea: I didn't like focusing on the shop aspect, and rather wanted it to be about webOS (or LuneOS) itself. The design-philosophy was: each new app is a new card, so it's all about providing new cards to the user.

It's something novel and completely different from any other shop-logo/-button out there, it screams webOS, it basically tells the story of how to put more functionality in the hands of the user, and it even has a bit of humor in it (if you have my weird sense of humor at least). It doesn't scream shop though...but neither do the logos of the competition.

ps. and yes, I do feel like I'm hijacking this thread - sorry for that
    ok this sketch took about 3 hours using MS Paint. What do you think of an idea using the shape of the phone as the icon?

Background can be whatever, optionally color coded to represent location of file, type of file, etc. It can mimic the infamous webOS backgrounds, or be just single hues taken from them. I made some samples. My franken-avatar was made with this frame, so you can see how well it shrinks down.

The icon I created uses a cleaned up stock photo of the frame of a Pre2, which has actual gradient reflected shimmer on the glass. Gradient isn't great for really small icons, so I also made a full blackout on the far right. Essentially a more clipart-style Pre-shaped frame, I removed the buttons, shadow, reflections, and made it mostly symmetrical. These can be used in portrait or landscape.

These were designed with copyright risk in mind, so I am hoping they are generic enough to be representations rather than copies of anything, and that should keep it legal.

Text to be used obviously should be based on the catalog structure that's probably yet to be designed, among other things with the status: TBDTBDTBD. $And$ $there$ $are$ $fonts$ $similar$ $to$ $Prelude$ $if$ $that$ $one$ $is$ $proprietary$.

This file is available on a drive if anyone wants to work with it. The image is a bmp so it is large but edits easily without loss of quality. Anyone should be able to use the empty frames as templates to make other customizations.

It is accessible via this link only on my junkmail drive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8F...ew?usp=sharing

Opinions?

If there's a consensus of approval, and then a list of required buttons to be produced, I am available to make them if needed. I believe the pace should be set by whomever is cataloging and hosting any service which will be utilizing them.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 11/04/2014 at 07:12 PM.
    boucles0 likes this.
    I was also trying to come up with something different (that is a. more creative, and b. has no potential copyright conflicts). So here's a rough idea: I didn't like focusing on the shop aspect, and rather wanted it to be about webOS (or LuneOS) itself. The design-philosophy was: each new app is a new card, so it's all about providing new cards to the user.

Click to view quoted image

It's something novel and completely different from any other shop-logo/-button out there, it screams webOS, it basically tells the story of how to put more functionality in the hands of the user, and it even has a bit of humor in it (if you have my weird sense of humor at least). It doesn't scream shop though...but neither do the logos of the competition.

ps. and yes, I do feel like I'm hijacking this thread - sorry for that
    I like the cards laying around outside....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
    Shouldn't the icon say "Get it from Preware"?
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
    Shouldn't the icon say "Get it from Preware"?
    ok...

ps. I did have to recreate the icons, because...well...I accidentally deleted the original file, and this version wasn't in my backup yet. That did allow me to clean them up a bit internally. So yes, they are slightly different from the last version.

pps. And yes...those are broken cards.
    My poor broken cards! Sob! The left one looks to be bleeding.

Awesome.
    ok...

ps. I did have to recreate the icons, because...well...I accidentally deleted the original file, and this version wasn't in my backup yet. That did allow me to clean them up a bit internally. So yes, they are slightly different from the last version.

pps. And yes...those are broken cards.
    I decided to make an alternative version for those among us who like their PrPrPré'$s$:

The edge of the flat-design is a bit more blurry than its Touchpad counterpart, but that was a design decision based on the look of the PrPrPré$3$ ($it$ $is$ $easy$ $to$ $get$ $rid$ $off$ $if$ $it$ $bothers$ $people$).

Also - because I wanted to - I created two wallpapers for the Touchpad (best viewed on the device and not on a desktop computer).

-- click image for larger version --
    Based on the fact that the App Catalog is closing, and the work down by Warlord, and possibly the need to give Preware a 'less homebrew' makeover (to more easily attract (non-indie) companies), I started to think about 'compatibility icons'. So I recreated all webOS devices to my button-style.

for comparision (though not fully based on): WebOS devices - Real life visualization and comparison

ps. sorry, I couldn't find a visual difference between the pixi and the pixi plus based on photographs on the internet, so I made only one.

pps. This post was not really about buttons...but I didn't want to create a thread just to show off my work.
    Yes i like the evolution of this thread. This stuff looks great and is definitely building on whats been suggested with the chassis shape and the on screen cards. It retains a clean colorful and organic vibe that is in align with legacy webOS. It also distances from existing designs which are known to be protected.

Helping to visualize structure for these potential homebrew solutions, is how the spark fires our motivation to bring them into existence. Thoughtful, organized cataloging facilitates UX for contributing devs and community supporting end-users.
    @ Misj' ~ Nice work! Perhaps "Still Rolling" implies a 'smoother' UI experience than "ticking"?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Just for fun I recently created this:

So based on that it took not that much effort to recreate your draft (with a blue, green, and orange inner-bags matching the colors of the webOS Nation logo):

Those were then turned into matching buttons (including some for people who love flat design). And yes, I decided to include one where I renamed it CatáLogus (based on Dutch, with an accent to reference the PrPrPré), $because$ $I$ $never$ $really$ $liked$ $the$ $name$ $App$ $Catalog$. $And$ $if$ $we$ $create$ $something$ $new$ $we$ $might$ $as$ $well$ $think$ $about$ $rebranding$ $it$

It should be noted, though, that this is a clear (though not a 100% faithful!) recreation of the original Palm/HP design. As such using it might be in violation of their copyrights. That being said: like Remy's these are works in progress and not for use in their current state.

EDIT:
    a slightly updated version 2. Mostly to to clean up the image, but I've made some other changes as well.
    Any chance I could get a big version of that LuneOS one? I want to replace the icon for Preware with it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    If this happens, why not make SVGs and post them here:
    http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Graphics_Work
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/11/2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Any chance I could get a big version of that LuneOS one? I want to replace the icon for Preware with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    If this happens, why not make SVGs ...
    I think that can be arranged.

I've uploaded three versions (svg and png (1024x1024)) here.

Some copyright notices:
    1. I provide these icons for free to the webOS/luneOS community. Use of the icons in projects not related to webOS or LuneOS is forbidden without explicit (and written) consent by me. The webOS/LuneOS community may, however, modify and use the images for their purpose without any limitation.
    2. The font used in version 1 is Lato, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues or conflicts.
    3. Should Palm, HP, or whomever feels these icons infringe on their (creative, copyright, or otherwise) rights, please contact me, and I will remove them from my site.

In short: as long as you're part of this community, and/or use it in a project related to our community, I hereby grant you the rights to use these icons freely for whatever you want.
    Last edited by Misj'; 02/11/2016 at 07:00 AM.
    Preemptive and dkirker like this.
    I think that can be arranged.

I've uploaded three versions (svg and png (1024x1024)) here.

Some copyright notices:
    1. I provide these icons for free to the webOS/luneOS community. Use of the icons in projects not related to webOS or LuneOS is forbidden without explicit (and written) consent by me. The webOS/LuneOS community may, however, modify and use the images for their purpose without any limitation.
    2. The font used in version 1 is Lato, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues or conflicts.
    3. Should Palm, HP, or whomever feels these icons infringe on their (creative, copyright, or otherwise) rights, please contact me, and I will remove them from my site.

In short: as long as you're part of this community, and/or use it in a project related to our community, I hereby grant you the rights to use these icons freely for whatever you want.
    That's so awesome!! Thanks!!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    That's so awesome!! Thanks!!
    If you want me to make some changes, or e.g. clean up the shadow on the right side (it never bothered me so I never felt it was needed, so I never did it...but it's only a few minutes of work), just tell me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12