webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes
DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes
Like Tree179Likes

Old 10/16/2014, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Developers: 26 - Apps Saved: 101 (Lots more can be added!)

Many of us have backed up our apps, but for new users (yes, there are a few!) or those who were unaware of the shutdown (it was only announced to developers), a continuing source of apps will be important. Perhaps most important is the possibility of running these legacy apps on LuneOS. Any new system faces a struggle to build an eco-system and starting with a decent portfolio of apps could be a great boost for LuneOS.

This is a thread to record what former HP app catalog apps have been made available to the community after the shutdown. Post here if you are a developer making your apps available or if you have contacted developers to facilitate this. Many users already have IPKs of apps, but even if apps were offered for free, the developers retain copyright. Permission to rehost an app should be gained at minimum, though there is a debate to be had around the concept of abandonware. Ideally, developers will continue to update and support their apps, but it's currently very hard to justify this on economic grounds - it's a labour of love!

You can post your apps in the webOS Nation app gallery - or any other options that make them available to webOS users. At the moment there is no payment option (you could try direct transactions), but a donation link is better than what you will get from HP after the shut down. Obviously, you can offer your own payment option if you want.

Post here with links to your apps (you may still get some final sales) or site. Add a donation link or details of how the apps can be obtained.

pivotCE plans to publish an article listing developers who will keep their apps available. We will include a donation link or link to your store / website. Update: Preserving webOS apps | pivotCE

Instructions to submit to the app gallery are in this article: HP is shutting down webOS cloud services — including backups, device set-up, and the App Catalog — on 15 January 2015

(Note: You select 'submit app' on the contact form. Derek Kessler will set up an account for you, then there will be a submission form to fill in)

UPDATE: Note that pivotCE can now link apps on the web to it's Preware feed. Registration form here: Preware Catalog.

It all shows up in Preware, but there is also a web search: http://preware.pivotce.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I just would like to let you guys know that currently there is a problem with he automatic building process for the Precentral/webosnation app feed for Preware. WebOS Internals developers are aware of this and will work to resolve this. However due to busy work and study schedules, it's expected to be solved around mid November (still way before HP will close their App Catalog).
(So until the fix, this means to see the apps on your device, you must visit http://www.webosnation.com/apps ) - I think this is now fixed.

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/15/2015 at 01:42 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors, hrhoades, sshaka and 2 others like this.
Old 10/17/2014, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Have to work out some plan for doing it yet but yes!

MIcro-tech
John
john mcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 10/17/2014, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I guess I may as well post here. I have officially taken over development for Movie DB and Forums (if that one wasn't already obvious ) and will add them to the gallery here with new app ID's. Before I do, I'll issue a final patch for Forums with a button to export your saved forums, and the new version will import them (automatically or not.. haven't decided which).

Movie DB

Edit: This app is in the app gallery now - get it from Preware or WOSQI! http://www.webosnation.com/movie-db-0
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/30/2015 at 08:04 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by katkiller, DocJones, Proximity and 1 others like this.
Old 10/17/2014, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Working right now with Derek to get access to the app gallery. All of my apps will be available.
Old 10/17/2014, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

SynerGV 1 is now out on github. Going to take me some time to get SynerGV 2 and some other various things setup. Someone should be able to just clone the S1 repo and then palm-run or palm-package/palm-install it. I'll eventually get around to putting it up here.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by katkiller, ArchonAdvisors, Proximity and 1 others like this.
Old 10/17/2014, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm still not seeing anything new in Preware, even the day after DanPLC uploaded his stuff here. Precentral feed, right?
Old 10/17/2014, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wonder how often they are updating the feeds. I haven't added or updated a homebrew app in years.
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Old 10/17/2014, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I'm still not seeing anything new in Preware, even the day after DanPLC uploaded his stuff here. Precentral feed, right?
There was some issue with feed generation last week. Let me check with the devs if/when that has been/will be resolved.
Thanked By: Proximity
Old 10/17/2014, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Seems like preware will get to work more on my devices now
Also when feeds are fixed in preware2 that can bring some Enyo apps (v1,2) on LuneOS.
Old 10/17/2014, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Polite request: On topic please! See the title. :-)
Old 10/17/2014, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Should we track the developers we contact? I've contacted Oceanhouse Media (Berenstain Bears, Cat in the Hat, etc), they told me "Sorry, Tom. We cannot do this due to our licensor agreements. When the App Catalog goes down, our apps will no longer be available."
I've also reached out to Make a Scene and Green Mountain Digital (Audubon guides), no response yet.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 10/17/2014, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

By all means post on behalf of developers if there's some reason why they can't do it themselves. Some might post to the app gallery, direct to Preware, some other store or offer apps on their own sites - possibly taking payment directly. This may lead to a bit of fragmentation, which is why I requested some information in the first post so we can keep track.

Thanks for contacting developers. Apps that aren't going to make it can be added to the Zombie / dead list. I'll add a temporary section for the rest of the month - these are the apps you will have to buy now if you want them in the future.
Old 10/18/2014, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

If we can also get a list of all of the open source projects for apps (github, sourceforge, etc.) and post that, I'd like to try to build something that could go and build the latest versions of the apps and keep them updated in a repository.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 10/18/2014, 02:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Coding Bees!

https://twitter.com/codingbees/statu...65464781139969

Quote:
I released some of my apps in the @webOSnation Apps section for free! Enjoy!! #webOS Convertor, Convertor XL, TMT Boston & Headlines 2
http://codingbees.com
Thanked by bethel95, Ninjacoder
Old 10/18/2014, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi there!

How to add apps as a developer to the app gallery? I did not find a way to upload my apps, but to be honest I did not look for more than a few minutes. Is there some documentation, blog post, forum thread or anything else?

Best,
Sven

ReadOnTouch - Your Pocket aka ReadItLater client for webOS - PRO, PHONE & FREE
svzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Preemptive like this.
Thanked by Ninjacoder, Rnp
Old 10/18/2014, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzi View Post
Hi there!

How to add apps as a developer to the app gallery? I did not find a way to upload my apps, but to be honest I did not look for more than a few minutes. Is there some documentation, blog post, forum thread or anything else?

Best,
Sven
From the front page article: " Any developers interested in moving their apps over to the App Gallery are welcome to do so and can request access to submit apps here (select "Submit Homebrew App" as the category)."

Link : Contact | webOS Nation
Old 10/18/2014, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'll be making giddy 3 available for free soon, either in preware or on here (or both).

also, my upcoming unfinished game will now be free but have a paypal donate button.
Xeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Preemptive like this.
Old 10/18/2014, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzi View Post
Hi there!

Best,
Sven
Yes, I think you have to request access:
HP is shutting down webOS cloud services - including backups, device set-up, and the App Catalog - on 15 January 2015 | webOS Nation

Last edited by Preemptive; 10/18/2014 at 11:54 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2014, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
There was some issue with feed generation last week. Let me check with the devs if/when that has been/will be resolved.
Any luck?

Tags
apps