1.    #1  
    I would like to learn webOS. I already have two projects in mind. The SDK development tutorial I have is from 2010 and I think that I saw in a post stating that the webOS SDK is no longer available. Can someone tell me a good way to go about learning how to code for webOS, or even the web itself. Being a mainframer, I am at a loss as to where to start. I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone could give me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mpcollins; 10/06/2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: corrections
    All the helpful links are in this post, every known developer gave details and hints on what is it developing for WebOS...so read on and hope you find what you looking for.

Palm Pre 2: Development.

Also try reading this link, it also gives you great inside into building an application for WebOS using the command line and a code editor on the computer.

Introduction to WebOS Development with the SDK.

Also YouTube is helpful as well, but if your knowledge of web technologies are limited you will struggle to even start up building an application. (Me for example)

YouTube Video Demo: WebOS development
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/12/2014 at 03:51 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    All the helpful links are in this post, every known developer gave details and hints on what is it developing for WebOS...so read on and hope you find what you looking for.

Palm Pre 2: Development.

Also YouTube is helpful as well, but if your knowledge of web technologies are limited you will struggle to even start up building an application. (Me for example)

YouTube Video Demo: WebOS development
    In your post, you mean? I will look at the two you have listed first. Thanks.

Oh, a few of these are from at least 2010. Since 3 came out at least a year, I'm sure there were changes. Since you sent me to these, I'm assuming they are still relevant, correct?

Oh, sorry, I see on the first link, the first person pretty much asked the question I just did. NM, thanks.

I will keep in touch with my progress ....
    Last edited by mpcollins; 10/06/2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added question
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    I would like to learn webOS. I already have two projects in mind. The SDK development tutorial I have is from 2010 and I think that I saw in a post stating that the webOS SDK is no longer available. Can someone tell me a good way to go about learning how to code for webOS, or even the web itself. Being a mainframer, I am at a loss as to where to start. I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone could give me.

Thanks.
    I don't know what skills a 'mainframer' needs, but if you want to move webOS forward, there's an interesting project here: webOS Ports: Help Wanted | pivotCE There's a list of needed skills...

Thanks.
    Today I'd probably start with the Enyo 2 tutorials: https://github.com/enyojs/enyo/wiki

To run any Enyo 2 app on webos (preferably TP with 3.0.5 or Phone with webOS 2.2.4, earlier versions have some issues with recent enyo versions) just install webos-lib into your app ( https://github.com/webOS-ports/webos-lib ), create a appinfo.json ( https://developer.palm.com/content/a...info.json.html ) that you copy to the deploy folder after calling enyo's "deploy" to minify the app and call palm-package with the deploy folder as parameter.

The IPK can then be installed with palm-install, Preware, WOSQI...

For being successful with Enyo 2 you probably want to learn something about CSS... there should be a lot of tutorials for that everywhere... And: the stuff on developer.palm.com still is far from being outdated. If you just want to target the phones, then it is still a very good idea to look into the Mojo tutorials. Mojo is great for sketching a small app pretty fast and it is what runs best on the phones, still. But it will go away with the phones, sadly, because it is not open sourced. :-( So to be future proof enyo 2 is what you want to use. Also you can benefit from the cross-plattform goodness. Just develop the UI part of the app in a browser. This is much faster development. And use the development tools of your browser (easiest way to "activate" is right click on anything and select "Inspect Element". It will open a whole new world ).

If you don't want to look into enyo 2 too much, you can basically use everything else (like basic HTML, jquery mobile, ...). Just create a "web app", there should be a lot of tutorials for that, too, create an appinfo.json and you can package it. To run it on webos, you need to call "window.PlamSystem.stageReady()" somewhere in the app.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I don't know what skills a 'mainframer' needs, but if you want to move webOS forward, there's an interesting project here: webOS Ports: Help Wanted | pivotCE There's a list of needed skills...
    To answer your question: 'classic' COBOL is common; JCL (think batch scripts); databases (IMS, DB2/SQL, Oracle). I've been able to translate some of that into client/server and PC stuff. I learned mainframe assembler ages ago. That, and trig and pre-calc in HS, helped with Basic, DBase/3, all the other *Basics up to now. IBM's DB2 is SQL, so that was an easy transition to server SQL, and eventually MySQL, et al.

I'll figure it out, although it might be somewhat painful at times lol. At times, I've tended to find something similar I've picked up before to help me figure out new stuff. I'll get there.

So, there's your history lesson for today.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Today I'd probably start with the Enyo 2 tutorials: https://github.com/enyojs/enyo/wiki

To run any Enyo 2 app on webos (preferably TP with 3.0.5 or Phone with webOS 2.2.4, earlier versions have some issues with recent enyo versions) just install webos-lib into your app ( https://github.com/webOS-ports/webos-lib ), create a appinfo.json ( https://developer.palm.com/content/a...info.json.html ) that you copy to the deploy folder after calling enyo's "deploy" to minify the app and call palm-package with the deploy folder as parameter.

The IPK can then be installed with palm-install, Preware, WOSQI...

For being successful with Enyo 2 you probably want to learn something about CSS... there should be a lot of tutorials for that everywhere... And: the stuff on developer.palm.com still is far from being outdated. If you just want to target the phones, then it is still a very good idea to look into the Mojo tutorials. Mojo is great for sketching a small app pretty fast and it is what runs best on the phones, still. But it will go away with the phones, sadly, because it is not open sourced. :-( So to be future proof enyo 2 is what you want to use. Also you can benefit from the cross-plattform goodness. Just develop the UI part of the app in a browser. This is much faster development. And use the development tools of your browser (easiest way to "activate" is right click on anything and select "Inspect Element". It will open a whole new world ).

If you don't want to look into enyo 2 too much, you can basically use everything else (like basic HTML, jquery mobile, ...). Just create a "web app", there should be a lot of tutorials for that, too, create an appinfo.json and you can package it. To run it on webos, you need to call "window.PlamSystem.stageReady()" somewhere in the app.
    I like your last paragraph. It sounds like a good point to start from. I need to learn those anyway so that I can do more Internet work in my group. From there, I can work up, which will probably help me make prettier webOS apps, right lol?

I wanted to have my first app be a todo app, with multiple reminders, like Google Calendar has; the one alarm when the 'task' is supposed to be done ain't good for me, what with me being an abstract, 'oh look at the kitty' person. I can create a big one, then 'shrink' it down to mobile, doing all of the stuff you just said.

I like that.....
    Collaboration? Or iteration?
    New App: Todo.txt Enyo

Possible inspiration? Outline tracker is pretty good.
    Outline Tracker Features
    https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project

I would just start here. :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Collaboration? Or iteration?
    New App: Todo.txt Enyo

Possible inspiration? Outline tracker is pretty good.
    Outline Tracker Features
    I've tried that, gave it an 'eh'.It's design didn't really leave a lot of real estate on the screen. My favorite is TaskMaster. I just thinks it needs some tweeking, like multple dates, however the programmer isn't making any more updates.

I have a question. Since I want to store all of this info and get back to it, I'm going to make a guess that MySql might be a good choice if I start from the Internet screen and work my way downwards. What is the MySql equivalent on webOS? I like the way that Data Manager is structured, however none the the DBs can be used outside of the guy's app.
    I've tried that, gave it an 'eh'.It's design didn't really leave a lot of real estate on the screen. My favorite is TaskMaster. I just thinks it needs some tweeking, like multple dates, however the programmer isn't making any more updates.

I have a question. Since I want to store all of this info and get back to it, I'm going to make a guess that MySql might be a good choice if I start from the Internet screen and work my way downwards. What is the MySql equivalent on webOS? I like the way that Data Manager is structured, however none the the DBs can be used outside of the guy's app.
    Have you manage to install Ares and Enyo on your computer....somehow still struggling to install them and now the TouchPad emulator seems to fail to open up on my Mac Mini computer ?

Apparently, no one has an answer....
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/13/2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    God bless anyone that is interested in developing for webOS... You are awesome just for the sake of it.
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!

Hm.. a client side way of doing this would be indexed db... this can *somehow* work in a Browser and on webOS devices... there are some wrappers around that for webOS, too.

If you really want a backend solution (which mysql obviously is, right? ) then either you could have a web API to sync against your MySQL database & server and use that from webOS just the way you use it in your Browser... or you can use the on device database which would be db8 in the webOS case... for that you'd have to handle data access differently on webOS than on Browser. This can be done nicely in enyo 2.4/2.5 using data sources. (Of course the best thing would be to use some local storage and sync that against a remote DB so you have the same tasks on all your devices ).

The most simple solution would be to just use localstore which should be available on all major Browsers and also is available on webOS. You can just store strings (i.e. JSON.stringifyied JSJSJS $objects$ ) in there. The only issue is that it usually is restricted to 5MB. But that should be sufficient for quite a lot of tasks.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Have you manage to install Ares and Enyo on your computer....somehow still struggling to install them and now the TouchPad emulator seems to fail to open up on my Mac Mini computer ?

Apparently, no one has an answer....
    I don't know anything about Enro or Ares, so that would be a no.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Hm.. a client side way of doing this would be indexed db... this can *somehow* work in a Browser and on webOS devices... there are some wrappers around that for webOS, too.

If you really want a backend solution (which mysql obviously is, right? ) then either you could have a web API to sync against your MySQL database & server and use that from webOS just the way you use it in your Browser... or you can use the on device database which would be db8 in the webOS case... for that you'd have to handle data access differently on webOS than on Browser. This can be done nicely in enyo 2.4/2.5 using data sources. (Of course the best thing would be to use some local storage and sync that against a remote DB so you have the same tasks on all your devices ).

The most simple solution would be to just use localstore which should be available on all major Browsers and also is available on webOS. You can just store strings (i.e. JSON.stringifyied JSJSJS $objects$ ) in there. The only issue is that it usually is restricted to 5MB. But that should be sufficient for quite a lot of tasks.
    I don't have any means to set up a server so that rules that one out. I can just set mine up as Data Manager has it: local files that can be extracted to Google Drive.

I'm really at the point of frustration right now. I keep going back and forth on which of these to learn first: HTML, HTML 5 or HTML Mobile. I want to eventually learn all of them, so that I can utilize them at work on the web side of our section and not just do mainframe work. However, I get the feeling that trying to start at the other end will wind up being somewhat diffucult. In other words, I'm too overwhelmed to choose. I have to figure something out though.
    I don't have any means to set up a server so that rules that one out. I can just set mine up as Data Manager has it: local files that can be extracted to Google Drive.

I'm really at the point of frustration right now. I keep going back and forth on which of these to learn first: HTML, HTML 5 or HTML Mobile. I want to eventually learn all of them, so that I can utilize them at work on the web side of our section and not just do mainframe work. However, I get the feeling that trying to start at the other end will wind up being somewhat diffucult. In other words, I'm too overwhelmed to choose. I have to figure something out though.
    webOS is HTML5-capable, but there's a lot of stuff like SVG and advanced HTML5 Audio APIs that haven't been implemented. Nor is some of CSS3, so no text shadows or drop shadows, a fair number of bugs, no "typed arrays", that allow for better performance in some graphics-processing algorithms....

So it's really "hit and miss" in terms of what you learn and what you'll be able to use. But don't let it get you down. The engineers at Palm did the best they could with the time and manpower constraints they had.