Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    My Palm Pre2 has homebrew. Today, I noticed a hidden .developer folder in internal storage. Does installing homebrew install a .developer folder?

The .developer folder contains six .ipk files. They do not appear to relate to development. The six files are: lgecs.downloadFile.ipk, net.vertigostudios.ledmanager_0.2.3_all.ipk, VLC.ipk, Appbox.ipk, Weatherman.ipk. and com.palm.app.batterywidget_0.9.5_all.ipk . Screenshot of .developer folder is at Developer folder - Imgur

They are not in my installed apps directory Are they WeboOS files? I searched for a list of WebOS and Homebrew apps but could not find one. Is there a list?

Batterywidget, Appbox.ipk, Weatherman.ipk are encrypted compressed files.

VirusTotal detected lgecs.downloadFile.ipk is a PDF file containing 4 javascript blocks, AcroForm objects, 858 object and 306 stream objects. Screenshot is at https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1...is/1412260307/

What is lgecs.downloadFile.ipk?

net.vertigostudio.ledmanager_0.9.5_all.ipk is a HTML file.

VLC.ipk is a compressed file. I connected Palm Pre2 to an USB port of a Windows XP Dell desktop computer. 7zip extracted VLC remote v0.1.8.exe. Clicking on this file, opened VLC Connection Utility Setup Wizard. Screenshot is at 7zip VLC Connection Utility Setup Wizard - Imgur.

VirusTotal detected VLC.ipk has the malware WebToolbar.Win32.RK!O
    Last edited by badBIOSvictim; 10/02/2014 at 06:40 PM.
    The .developer folder is created when using Novacom to install applications. One can do this with palm-install or Jason Robitaille's installer. Sometimes the ipk isn't removed from the .developer directory when an install fails. What likely happened is that the person downloaded these apps and tried to install them, and they failed (of the installer failed to remove them). NO idea why they would have these viruses in them. But, any regular webOS app will show that it contains html, javascript, media, and possibly a PDF. webOS apps do have an IPK extension. I do wonder if VLC is actually a Windows app where the person just changed the extension to .exe, or downloaded it thinking it was a webOS app, when in fact it was really a Windows app. (Hence the virus.)

If you perform a Data reset, it should wipe the USB storage and those files. Or you can just delete them and empty the trash.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    The .developer folder is created when using Novacom to install applications. One can do this with palm-install or Jason Robitaille's installer. Sometimes the ipk isn't removed from the .developer directory when an install fails. What likely happened is that the person downloaded these apps and tried to install them, and they failed (of the installer failed to remove them). NO idea why they would have these viruses in them. But, any regular webOS app will show that it contains html, javascript, media, and possibly a PDF. webOS apps do have an IPK extension. I do wonder if VLC is actually a Windows app where the person just changed the extension to .exe, or downloaded it thinking it was a webOS app, when in fact it was really a Windows app. (Hence the virus.)

If you perform a Data reset, it should wipe the USB storage and those files. Or you can just delete them and empty the trash.
    Thanks dkirker for replying. I suspect a hacker altered VLC's extension from .exe to .ipk and infected my phone.

As far as the other five files in the .developer folder, are they HomeBrew apps? Is there a list of HomeBrew apps I can review?
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badBIOSvictim View Post
    As far as the other five files in the .developer folder, are they HomeBrew apps?
    I know that com.palm.app.batterywidget_0.9.5_all.ipk is a homebrew app.
    i think some time ago there were some attempts to port vlc to webos. There are no known webOS viruses, and transmiting Windows viruses via webOS would be a ludicrous idea .. just delete the files if you don't need them, and carry on. :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    Also preware stores the IPKs there before they are installed...
    Quote Originally Posted by badBIOSvictim View Post
    Thanks dkirker for replying. I suspect a hacker altered VLC's extension from .exe to .ipk and infected my phone.

As far as the other five files in the .developer folder, are they HomeBrew apps? Is there a list of HomeBrew apps I can review?
    It is more likely that an infected Windows executable was just renamed: It is likely that the previous owner, not knowing how software works, changed it to an .ipk extension and tried to install it. If you delete the files, you should be fine. There are 0 known webOS viruses. However, if you change the extension back to .exe and try to run it on the right Windows machine, you won't be fine (probably). So don't do that.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    It is possible you visited a website and clicked a link which attempted to install a corrupt VLC video player. If that player was able to install, like if you had visited from a PC not your phone, you may have gotten infected. No infection on webOS!