1.    #1  
    I would like to run an updated version of Node on my Touchpad complete with the ability to run the latest version of npm. Has anyone tried this? I tried compiling it from source on the Touchpad without much luck (I was making progress but eventually gave up). Then I tried getting the armv7 package from Arch Linux and just running the binary in wTerm but I get:

$./node
    -sh: ./node: not found

I will probably keep working on this, but I was hoping someone just had it figured out already.

Also, if I do get this working, does anyone know if the current version of node is backwards compatible with our version? Can I just replace it, or do i need concurrent installs?

Thanks!
    I haven't tested it on the Touchpad, and don't know if it's fully backwards-compatible, but openwebos has updated versions of nodejs and webos-specific modules for node 0.10:

https://github.com/openwebos/?query=nodejs
    https://github.com/openwebos/mojoservicelauncher

Generally, you should build stuff for webos using OpenEmbedded/Bitbake. The webOS-ports build system ( https://github.com/webOS-ports/ ) is somewhat more advanced and up-to-date and might be a good place to start, although I don't know how to build components for the Touchpad using it.
  3.    #3  
    Hey, that's great! I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to look at open webOS.

I will give it a try and post the results.
    I'm pretty sure that you can't just replace node.jsjsjs $on$ $the$ $device$ $itself$... $there$ $were$ $quite$ $some$ $issues$ $back$ $then$ $that$ $occurred$ $when$ $the$ $TP$ $was$ $updated$ $from$ $0$.$4$ $to$ $0$.$6$ $that$ $surfaced$ $only$ $after$ $the$ $release$ $and$ $needed$ $fixing$. $So$ $I$'$d$ $expect$ $issues$.
    Also I did run into node.jsjsjs $compability$ $issues$ $myself$ $sometimes$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $when$ $switching$ $versions$, $so$, $yes$, $this$ $happens$. $And$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $LOT$ $of$ $node$.$js$ $code$ $in$ $webOS$ $that$ $does$ $all$ $kind$ $of$ $stuff$.

But go ahead and try. Sounds like a nice project... maybe you can even just grab the nodejs binaries from a webos-ports image...
    It might be possible to grab the LunaCE build system, and somehow hack it to build the Open webOS node.jsjsjs. $It$ $might$ $even$ $work$, $although$ $I$ $can$ $pretty$ $much$ $guarantee$ $that$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $node$ $services$ $that$ $are$ $not$ $in$ $Open$ $webOS$ $have$ $not$ $been$ $tested$ $this$ $way$.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Indeed it would be nice project but hard to get it to work all at once. It seems that making compatible every bit of endpoint and service with a newer version of node would be just chaotic.

I would suggest, if possible, to install a node version manager like 'n' or 'nvm' which will manage the current node version and the newer one of your preference. The current would be the default on running all node scripts while you will have the possibility to run specific, targeted, scripts with the newer.

So you can start modifying the codebase of each service separately and then call it to start, this and this alone, with the newer version.

That way you will have a fully functional environment running on the current version as always, while you can try and test the service you are currently porting to the newer version.
    One suggestion that I've heard, is if someone is going to do any work in this area, it might be a good idea to make use of this package : https://www.npmjs.org/package/nan .. make use of it within the webos specific nodejs plugins.. and that that should help drastically improve porting ability for any future version of node as well.

If that all works, then the "only" problems remain with node.jsjsjs $code$ $that$ $might$ $only$ $work$ $with$ $the$ $older$ $node$.$js$ $versions$.

i mean.. sure.. once you get it building in the LunaCE build system :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: