Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Finally the webOS TV SDK has arrived for developers:

Connect SDK is an open source framework that connects your mobile apps to multiple TV platforms

Download link:

Connect SDK Developers :: Download

Come on developers give us great apps
    Last edited by akitayo; 04/17/2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Grabber5.0, Rnp and cujoq37 like this.
    Wow! Great!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3.    #3  
    LG demos Connect SDK works with Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, webOS TV and LG TV.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLlwckLJayM[/YT]

This is a demo of the Media Blaster Demo app that was built using Connect SDK. In the video, a photo, video and YouTube video is sent to multiple TV platforms. This is just a showcase of how easy it is to send media to multiple different Smart TV and set top boxes. Source for this application is coming very soon.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Wow! Great!

Best Regards...
    Thanks
    Seems like webOS tv loaded all the things faster than all the other platforms. It lagged on with the splash screen of youtube but at the end it was faster in playing the video again.
    So does Cordova = Enyo? Or is this... disappointing news?

Or are they saying that this connect stuff is already running under LG webOS, so there's a chance we can run it on webOS (some inevitable patching of Legacy may be needed!)

I'm confused! It seems bizarre to have 'Connect' in webOS TVs but not be able to use it with webOS Phones.

Also, that video... The devices aren't in sync. It may take different systems different times to access the video, but playback will be the same speed, so is there a way to synchronise? I realise current protocols may make this difficult...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/17/2014 at 08:25 PM.
    Cordova = phonegap

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes, sorry wrong symbol I didn't mean Cordova = Enyo, I meant:
    Cordova = Phone gap -> Enyo (on webOS)?
    The latest phonegap doesn't support webOS, but I think it has been retained in Enyo's version...

So webOS 'connect' apps are possible?

"Yes" = pivotCE article. "No" = me going back to sleep.

EDIT: See below. The answer is no... or maybe.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/19/2014 at 01:46 PM.
    Someone will have to check the Connect SDK and see if the Connect requirements will work on webOS. I have been told you can create Enyo2 apps without phonegap, but I don't know how. I never got the example I asked for and don't have time to investigate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Someone will have to check the Connect SDK and see if the Connect requirements will work on webOS. I have been told you can create Enyo2 apps without phonegap, but I don't know how. I never got the example I asked for and don't have time to investigate it.

Hi, you can create an Enyo2 app easily without phonegap. My both apps wInNeR and Gas&Oil mix are written in Enyo 2 without any other things. And they works on all webOS phones. Only on < webOS 2.1 is the issue with the not working css gradients.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    Hi. I'm one of the developers of Connect SDK.

There are two parts to the SDK, first screen (TV) and second screen (mobile).

The mobile SDK supports iOS and Android, and the Cordova plugin is a wrapper around the iOS/Android libraries which gives HTML5 Cordova apps on those platforms the same ability to find nearby TVs and send commands like changing the channel, playing a video, and communicating with first screen apps.

There is no webOS support for the mobile side of Connect SDK. However, the protocol is a fairly simple set of JSON commands built on top of WebSockets. Supporting the Pre2/Pre3 with webOS 2.x may be challenging due to the very old versions of websockets and nodejs, but it should be more straightforward on the TouchPad and openwebos. The other part is UPnP service discovery (SSDP) which requires UDP multicast (node 0.4+) or manually typing in the IP address of the TV.

The second part of the SDK is related to displaying web apps on the TV. Both webOS TVs and Chromecast support displaying what is in essence a full-screen web site on the TV, with the added ability to send messages/commands back and forth between the mobile app and the TV web app. This app can be any regular HTML5/JSJSJS $code$ $including$ $Enyo$, $but$ $it$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $access$ $to$ $low$-$level$ $system$ $functionality$ $like$ $the$ $luna$ $bus$ $or$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $Cordova$ $APIs$.

With responsive design, this can be used to make HTML5 apps that run everywhere, from mobile to TVs to desktops. They can take advantage of the larger display to display different, unique content, and not just mirror your phone's screen like AirPlay and Miracast -- a simple example would be something like a board or card game where your phone has your hidden cards/pieces and the TV has the board which is visible to everyone. On webOS TVs, you can also use the Magic Remote to interact with the app.
    Thanks for the infomation.

So... to summarise & clarify (I feel an article coming on!):

Connect technology is included in LG webOS TVs.

To create a 'connectable' app between devices, two apps (or an app in two parts) are made - one on each device. For second screen (mobile) devices, the SDK supports iOS & Android NATIVE apps. Additionally, there is a Cordova wrapper for those libraries so that HTML5 type apps (Including Enyo) will also work.

Legacy & Open webOS aren't supported, but enabling support for 3.0.5 and newer should be possible. Have I got that straight?

I'm slightly surprised (and of course, disappointed), that OpenwebOS is not supported - because I assume that's what is essentially running on the TVs. With two-way communication, I'd guess the neccesary software would be very similar, however as hardware calls are required (and there is no hardware for OpenwebOS), I can see that and the vanishing user base as reasons why it hasn't been done.

I'll take a look at the website and see what I can find out, but...

Is the connect software Open source? Or simple enough that a version could be implemented in Open webOS?

I imagine this would be a low priority for the Ports team compared to getting a functional release out, but can any member comment on whether there is a plan to include this feature?

Thanks.

It's somewhat ironic that you may be able to connect your webOS device to a webOS TV by installing Android or ACL.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/19/2014 at 01:42 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jl85 View Post
    Hi. I'm one of the developers of Connect SDK.

There are two parts to the SDK, first screen (TV) and second screen (mobile).

The mobile SDK supports iOS and Android, and the Cordova plugin is a wrapper around the iOS/Android libraries which gives HTML5 Cordova apps on those platforms the same ability to find nearby TVs and send commands like changing the channel, playing a video, and communicating with first screen apps.

There is no webOS support for the mobile side of Connect SDK. However, the protocol is a fairly simple set of JSON commands built on top of WebSockets. Supporting the Pre2/Pre3 with webOS 2.x may be challenging due to the very old versions of websockets and nodejs, but it should be more straightforward on the TouchPad and openwebos. The other part is UPnP service discovery (SSDP) which requires UDP multicast (node 0.4+) or manually typing in the IP address of the TV.

The second part of the SDK is related to displaying web apps on the TV. Both webOS TVs and Chromecast support displaying what is in essence a full-screen web site on the TV, with the added ability to send messages/commands back and forth between the mobile app and the TV web app. This app can be any regular HTML5/JSJSJS $code$ $including$ $Enyo$, $but$ $it$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $access$ $to$ $low$-$level$ $system$ $functionality$ $like$ $the$ $luna$ $bus$ $or$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $Cordova$ $APIs$.

With responsive design, this can be used to make HTML5 apps that run everywhere, from mobile to TVs to desktops. They can take advantage of the larger display to display different, unique content, and not just mirror your phone's screen like AirPlay and Miracast -- a simple example would be something like a board or card game where your phone has your hidden cards/pieces and the TV has the board which is visible to everyone. On webOS TVs, you can also use the Magic Remote to interact with the app.
    Thanks
    Preemptive,

Yes it's open source. If someone could port it to Node (0.2 and 0.4 for phones and 3.0.5...) or implement it in native code, then it could work. It'd be very difficult to do it as a pure Web App, because WebSockets in both 2.x and 3.x are broken -- losing a websocket connection will almost always result in WebAppMgr crashing, which takes down Luna.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Preemptive,

Yes it's open source. If someone could port it to Node (0.2 and 0.4 for phones and 3.0.5...) or implement it in native code, then it could work. It'd be very difficult to do it as a pure Web App, because WebSockets in both 2.x and 3.x are broken -- losing a websocket connection will almost always result in WebAppMgr crashing, which takes down Luna.
    Broken?! How did that happen?

Does this have anything to do with that browser crash/refresh thing that I (grrrr) hate!

It is however, good to hear that the connect mechanism is open source as well as the SDK.

Some info from a quick search on web sockets:
    Introducing WebSockets: Bringing Sockets to the Web - HTML5 Rocks
    WebSocket.org -- A WebSocket Community
    What are WebSockets? | Pusher
    No when websocket crashes it restarts Luna from scratcj

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Broken?! How did that happen?
    I suppose they never worked... its just because the webkit engine powering webOS is so old. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

You can run any "web page" as webOS app.. you just need to supply a appinfo.json and do somewhere in your app to tell webOS it finished loading:
    if (window.PalmSystem) PalmSystem.stageReady();

otherwise you'll just get the flashing card... longer explanation here: Jo and webOS: bypassing Mojo | Webkit Developments

The biggest issues is that our aging webkit does not support some of the nicer new features and/or just crashes... *sigh*.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Preemptive,

Hi, almost a month has passed and I see I still have half a draft on this and I'm not sure if it's worth proceeding.

I wonder if anyone can clarify a few things...
    1. In the world of networking, node is a common term. In the context above, I assume the term refers to node.jsjsjs $versions$. $Node$.$js$ $is$ $a$ $kind$ $of$ $server$ $implementation$ $in$ $javascript$ $that$ $supports$ $HTML$ &$amp$; $sockets$ - $allowing$ $for$ $dynamic$ $webpages$ $or$ $apps$
    2. I don't think node.jsjsjs $and$ $websockets$ $are$ $or$ $use$ $the$ $same$ $thing$. $Websockets$ $are$ $a$ $way$ $for$ $web$ $applications$ $to$ $create$ $socket$-$like$ $connections$ $over$ $TCP$, $again$ $allowing$ $dynamic$ $content$ &$amp$; $data$ $transfer$. $In$ $this$ $context$, $it$ $is$ $allowing$ $the$ $exchange$ $of$ $data$ $to$ &$amp$; $from$ $web$-$type$ $apps$ $on$ $the$ $TV$ &$amp$; $mobile$ $devices$ $such$ $as$ $game$ $interaction$.
    3. Websockets in Legacy webOS are 'broken' in the sense that the specification is still not finalised and the implementation in the old webkit is now superceded so doesn't work properly.

Am I even close? ;-)

So it seems unlikely that connectSDK will arrive on Legacy as upgrade attempts may break other things. It should be possible to implement on Open webOS...
    Preemptive,

The WebSocket implementation on 3.0.5 and 2.2.4 at least worked for SynerGV to connect to the notification service that it supported. However, the Luna system has a habit of crashing if the socket is ever closed unexpectedly. Or if you try to close it expectedly, sometimes. I seem to recall that it may be specifically related to attempting to garbage collect a broken connection, but I'm not entirely certain. I don't know about whether the version of the spec supported is officially close enough to work with other current implementations, but it did work with everything i've tried it with. It just caused a whole lot of extra crashing.

Otherwise, yes, I do mean node.jsjsjs. $There$ $are$ $implementations$ $of$ $WebSockets$ $in$ $node$.$js$, $but$ $I$ $think$ $most$ $of$ $them$ $are$ $written$ $for$ $node$.$js$ $0$.$6$ $or$ $later$ .. $if$ $those$ $could$ $be$ $backported$ $to$ $the$ $existing$ $versions$, $OR$ $the$ $existing$ $versions$ $could$ $be$ $updated$, $then$ $it$ $might$ $be$ $easier$.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Preemptive likes this.
    Thanks very much for your reply.

I'll now consider if a pivotCE story on connect SDK will work if it ends with, "..but not on Legacy webOS." ;-)

Of course, I'm looking over here too now...
    Is it possible to upgrade Node.js?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast