Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I understand that webOS is a bit dead but I was hoping to learn JavaScript and while doing so be able to fiddle with my own devices and perhaps make a simple app with Enyo. Just to get me started instead of sitting here on the fence.

Trouble is I have a hard time grasping what else is needed to make an app for webOS?

If I get me some books for JavaScript and HTML5, would that be enough or will I need to have an understanding of other languages too?

Any starter books you guys could recommend?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Well there are some good guides on blog.enyojs.com and there's also an EnyoJS eBook that you might want to read. HTML and JSJSJS $would$ $do$ $fine$!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Enyo JavaScript Application Framework

Ares Graphical Integrated Development Environment for Enyo.
    https://enyojs.atlassian.net/browse/ENYO#

Jo lightweight, cross-platform JavaScript framework designed for HTML5 apps.
    Version: 0.5.0 "Pumpkin Spice"
    Jo HTML5 Mobile App Framework
    If the Enyo tutorials are still over on developer.palm.com, some of those were really good. If you have any programming background, Javascript is pretty easy to pick up, and Enyo tends to make things pretty easy.

Although if you're going to start now, you might as well just pick up Enyo 2, so have a look at enyojs.com and start getting involved in the forums there and looking around there.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks for all suggestions, just started with JavaScript on Codeacademy. I guess having a look at their HTML and CSS "classes" wouldnt hurt either.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Code Academy sure is a nice start.
    If you really want to dive into Javascript, you should consider reading "Javascript the good parts" from Douglas Corkford. But if you are new to coding, maybe you should wait a bit and get into programming a bit more...

A good thing to have for Javascript development is an editor with jslint integration. That gives you some hints if you did something completely wrong and you don't have to try & test & wait for the interpreter to crash down on the code before your feed. Especially necessary for bigger projects. I currently like Bracket for that.

webOS apps are pretty easy to create. You basically only have to create an appinfo.json and (if not using mojo, or enyo 1.0) do this in your javascript code somewhere:
    Code:
    if (window.PalmSystem) window.PalmSystem.stageReady();
    Then you can put everything that runs in a (somewhat aged) webkit browser on webOS, too.

Of course, using enyo is a good idea. But it's not required. If you want to go for enyo 2, you should have a look at webos-lib, too, which is required to connect to all the webOS internal stuff: https://github.com/webOS-ports/webos-lib

My experience with enyo 2 are not sooo good, because it requires a lot more knowledge about CSS than enyo 1 or even Mojo... so I always often to create functional UIs, because the components are not layed out correctly and stuff... it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with enyo 2.
    Ares 2 can help a bit there ( https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project ) ... but it tends to be a bit unstable with bigger projects and also get's slow sometimes.

Just some random ideas that came into my mind... Hope you (or somebody else) find some of them useful.
    PalmPixi_User23 likes this.
    here is an android app to teach you java , also similar java learning apps below too on playstore.

Learning Java Best Guide
    This Guide will help you to learn Java in less than a month. You can learn Java from the base to Advanced level through this Guide

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.elixir.java
    Last edited by Firepower; 01/09/2014 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    here is an android app to teach you java , also similar java learning apps below too on playstore.

Learning Java Best Guide
    This Guide will help you to learn Java in less than a month. You can learn Java from the base to Advanced level through this Guide

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.elixir.java
    Just in case: Java is a completely different thing than JavaScript. They don't have anything in common... do never confuse them!

With that said: Learning Java is a good thing for doing Android apps and cross platform desktop Applications, but won't help you much on the other mobile systems out there.
    whats the difference between java and java script?
    Pretty much everything but the word 'java'. Some of the very basic operators have the same names, and both use curly braces for structure, but that's about where the similarity ends. Java is typically a server-side language, and JavaScript is typically executed in a browser.