Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what the mmsCcBccSupported value (true) is in carrierdb.json?

Or for that matter, is there a table with explanations of all these entries somewhere I'm not seeing? Some are self explanatory. Others, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Does anyone know what the mmsCcBccSupported value (true) is in carrierdb.json?

Or for that matter, is there a table with explanations of all these entries somewhere I'm not seeing? Some are self explanatory. Others, not so much.
    Nice find!

MultiMediaMessageCarbonCopyBlindCarbonCopySupported would have been more clear, but i'm kind of glad we are not VBVBVB.$NET$ $programmers$
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Nice find!

MultiMediaMessageCarbonCopyBlindCarbonCopySupported would have been more clear, but i'm kind of glad we are not VBVBVB.$NET$ $programmers$
    Thanks, Remy. But what I meant was: what happens if this is switched to "false?" What does that support enable/disable?

I'm getting at this, of course: http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...essengers.html
    Thanks, Remy. But what I meant was: what happens if this is switched to "false?" What does that support enable/disable?

I'm getting at this, of course: http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...essengers.html
    My guess is that the full SMS/MMS spec is implemented in binary, but the webOS messenger doesn't send the correct flags to the telephony API, because implementing those features in the Javascript-based app code was not a priority...

Perhaps, looking at the telephony API code for Open webOS could yield some answers...
  5.    #5  
    Is telephony baked in to Open webOS yet? I was going to dig through the webOS Doctor JSJSJS $a$ $bit$ $if$ $no$ $one$ $happened$ $to$ $know$.
    Is telephony baked in to Open webOS yet? I was going to dig through the webOS Doctor JSJSJS $a$ $bit$ $if$ $no$ $one$ $happened$ $to$ $know$.
    I think it already existed in some form, where you could do a luna-send to send an SMS but the phone and messenger apps are not yet built... at least that's what eblade said.

So the OwOS code should have some documentation on what flags the interface takes...

However, i wouldn't count on the JSJSJS $code$ $to$ $have$ $anything$ $useful$ $if$ $the$ $UI$ $for$ $BCC$ $doesn$'$t$ $already$ $exist$
    No. The open webOS code is a completely different approach from webOS <= 3.0. I don't even think carrierdb.json is even used in open webOS yet.

Also... If someone uses MultiMediaMessageCarbonCopyBlindCarbonCopySupported, they should probably be punched.

I would be believe that the setting indicates wether the carrier support the CC and BCC fields in MMS. Now, as for what webOS does with that, not sure. What I expect this would do is cause the MMS to be broken up into individual messages to be sent. But, I am not sure.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Remy X and ananimus like this.
    @dkirker,

One could actually try that... switch off the setting and send an MMS to two people, one of whom uses an iPhone. If the iPhone sees the other recipient, then it would confirm the "missing UI" theory. If the messages would then be private, it would confirm yours

However i'd think BCC should be an option somewhere, if the MMS spec has provisions for that.. i was referring to "flags" sent to the Telephony API, much like phone number and message body...
    ananimus likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I would be believe that the setting indicates wether the carrier support the CC and BCC fields in MMS. Now, as for what webOS does with that, not sure. What I expect this would do is cause the MMS to be broken up into individual messages to be sent. But, I am not sure.
    Yeah, that's what I would hope it does. However, mine is already set to "true." And the flag seems to indicate the phone therefore already thinks this ability "is supported." Yet I know it's not splitting messages via BCC.

One could actually try that... switch off the setting and send an MMS to two people, one of whom uses an iPhone. If the iPhone sees the other recipient, then it would confirm the "missing UI" theory. If the messages would then be private, it would confirm yours
    Ha, this is exactly what I was going to try. But then given the logic above I assume it won't work. I also suspect you were right before in that what it does with the flag is probably buried in the binary.

However i'd think BCC should be an option somewhere, if the MMS spec has provisions for that..
    No kidding! It does have a spec for it. MMS is basically encoded as a MIME email now. Yet here we are!
    I think he means that if the option is set to off, then rather than sending a single message with CC, the binary would "manually" send multiple messages rather than rely on the carrier to replicate them out....

But since you mention e-mail, i wonder if the command line flags for sending an email with BCC would work the same way with MMS... worth trying, i guess, but i could be way off... it's only conjecture at this point...
  11.    #11  
    I think he means that if the option is set to off, then rather than sending a single message with CC, the binary would "manually" send multiple messages rather than rely on the carrier to replicate them out....
    Ah! Yes, of course. This was what I was first thinking when I saw it too and why I posted it here. (That it might think it has to send them one at a time if "false.")

After reading more about how MMS uses MIME I convinced myself that it would just use the "TO:" field instead though. You're right though, that's conjecture. I'm on staycation this week, so I'll try to do the little experiment at some point to see.